68uf CAP options on CW2 crossover?

bsacco1

How about the guys spending $2K + on new horns and large format drivers - and then running the signal through entry level passive components -- I don't get it.

Truth!

I would still entertain large format mid/highs on a current generation commercial product, but I sure as heck will have to consider and factor in the additional costs of adding some magic to the set up.

Those "guys" are very, very, very, few and far between...and not indicative at all of the majority of this forum.

• 3 years later...
On 10/31/2014 at 3:03 AM, djk said:

"The OP was looking at $1.60 caps, I figured budget was a major concern. "

My only objection to the electrolytic cap in this circuit is the life span of same, a film cap in this location will not change the sound in any large way.

This cap is more important in two-way speakers with their much higher crossover frequency.

Finally, some sanity here! I need 4 - 68uf Caps for my LS with AL 3 Crossovers, and guess what ? I am going with Electrolytics. 

Maybe these https://www.parts-express.com/68uf-100v-electrolytic-non-polarized-crossover-capacitor--027-356?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

These have a 5% dissipation Factor, most capacitors have 10%

IS a lower dissipation factor best, or does it matter ?

I can get some 5% tolerance caps, but they are 10% dissipation factor, what one is best ?

ERSE has a good deal on MYLAR 68 uf Caps, only 11.00 each http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/PEx250v/68uF-250-volt-Metallized-Polyester-Mylar-Film-Capacitor

These LS are not going to be the speakers I die with (I am looking for K Horns)

Klipsch used electrolytics for these 68 uf caps, so why not me ?

Edited by ka7niq