68uf CAP options on CW2 crossover?

bsacco1

I guess I'm missing something here and I'll probably get skewered for it. Dean has on several occasions recommended Bob's products to those that can't afford his. He even referred me to Bob on a set of crossovers for a set of speakers I had and i could have afforded his. I'm assuming there's a certain level of respect between Bob and Dean even though they differ on philosophy. Now for some reason Bob uses crap parts. I don't get it. Did Dean just now figure that out or has he been repressing has thoughts all this time? Maybe I've been missing something, it wouldn't be the first time.

Lol. Okay, first of all, and again, this has nothing to do with me feeling like my networks are being "attacked". Seriously, I don't feel any need to defend them. This really just relates to everyone always immediately recommending the cheapest option, as if none other exists, or nothing else is worth pursuing - because after all, it all sounds basically the same, which is ludicrous. Trust me, this isn't an attempt to generate sales, which I'm hoping will hover at around three a month - this is about me being disgusted with the fact that I'm losing interest in this place because most have been convinced that cheaping out is somehow the path to GREAT sound.

Al told me that "competition drives down quality". No kidding. Do people here actually believe that new Universal sounds anything like the original? I've built the products sold by others - they're a good value. Don't confuse that with being deliverers of truly excellent sound.

I'm speaking to the DIY folks. If you're going to take the time, effort and money to rebuild your networks -- give them the kind of respect you would any other piece of gear. You can rebuild an AA with great stuff for around $425.00 -- is that really that outrageous?

No one ever recommends the good stuff, only the entry level stuff. The entry level stuff is fine, but it's called entry level for a reason.

This isn't about "pissing off the neighbors" - I can do that with s lawn mower on a Saturday morning.

• Like 1

I think many folks get hung up on the economics of the speaker in that a pair of vintage speakers that might cost $1000 should only use internals that are a fraction of that cost because... well, they are a fraction of the entire speaker.

I say BS to that because, for me at least, it's about getting good sound first... whatever it takes, within financial reason and disregarding what the initial investment was for the entire speaker.

That is why I use XO's that cost me more than the price of my speakers.

I'm building some Heresy IIs with Jupiters right now. Let that one sink in! The guy loves his Heresys, and plans on keeping them the rest of his life. So with that in mind, it's not really as crazy as it sounds.

People may be getting decent deals on some of these loudspeakers, but I prefer to think of it in the context of what they're going for new.

How about the guys spending $2K + on new horns and large format drivers - and then running the signal through entry level passive components -- I don't get it.

Dean!  I've heard a lot of good things about the stuff you make.  Sadly, my wallet's a bit tight for it, so I don't expect I'll be able to get my hands on them soon.  But I certainly hope to hear some speakers with your upgrades soon.

Unfortunately, entry level is all I can muster at this stage in my life. :(

"The OP was looking at $1.60 caps, I figured budget was a major concern. "

My only objection to the electrolytic cap in this circuit is the life span of same, a film cap in this location will not change the sound in any large way.

This cap is more important in two-way speakers with their much higher crossover frequency.

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry to say, but what most here are known for is being mostly deaf. Just go to any other forum and read what they say about this place. What used to be "A Legend in Sound" is now "Loud and Cheap". Most of the audiophiles left the premises long ago, and for good reason.

This is a fact...........but said politely. 

I have been around here for over 10 years and watched this forum run its courses.  It's something that I don't understand.

People will drive 8 hours and sacrifice their marriage to get a pair of lascalas or Khorns in their house.............then balk at spending another $500 or so to get them back to spec..........and instead buy junk parts.........and come back here and say how great their system sounds.  I don't get it.  But it is what it is.

Bravo to the guys who have figured out that it is completely worth it to spend more on the crossovers than you spent on the speakers.  Nothing wrong with that.

How about the guys spending $2K + on new horns and large format drivers - and then running the signal through entry level passive components -- I don't get it.

Truth!

I would still entertain large format mid/highs on a current generation commercial product, but I sure as heck will have to consider and factor in the additional costs of adding some magic to the set up.