4k TV Question

Youthman

• Moderators

My parents just replaced their DLP TV with this Visio LCD TV.  Of course they are calling me to help them hook it up.  I've never owned an LCD, much less a 4k smart TV. 

Currently, they have a really old Onkyo TX-SR700 or 800 series receiver (can't remember what the model is).  I believe previously, I hooked up their audio via Digital Coax and the video was HDMI straight from the bluray player and cable box to the TV.

I remember advertisers pushing 120Hz refresh rate as it was smoother for sports and offered less motion blur.  The TV they just bought has (4) 30Hz HDMI ports and (1) 60Hz HDMI Port.  My question is when would you not choose the 60Hz HDMI port?  You would think they would have made all 5 HDMI ports 60Hz if the TV supported it.

Good question. I don't know the answer. I do know that motion blur is more complicated that just the refresh rate. I have a 240hz LED Sharp that has much more blur than a Sony 120hz. I would try your parents TV on that 60hz connection and see what it looks like. 

To my eye watching Blu-ray quality vs 4K is close to the same. How bout you? 

Edited by JL Sargent

To my eye watching Blu-ray quality vs 4K is close to the same. How bout you? 

I would agree, especially on a 60" plasma.

Now on a 70"+ and projector screen, then the 4K really comes in to play.

Bill 

Edited by willland

• Moderators

Thx guys, it was easier going by their house to look at it than to try and provide tech support over the phone.  They had everything hooked up when I got there but could not get a picture.  Just had to show them how to change inputs and we labelled them bluray and cable box.

I hooked the cable box up to the 60Hz HDMI input since they watch cable more than blurays but I kept getting a message on screen saying the source was say 1080i and that it would be best to use input 1-4 for best picture.  I guess the 60 Hz Input 5 is designed solely for a 4k input so I moved the cable box to a 30Hz HDMI. 

They love it.  Is a considerable upgrade from their 42" DLP that was starting to exhibit red lines.  They've had it for 8 years so it was about time to upgrade anyways.

4k looks great up close makes 1080p look like VHS in EP mode.  But stand back 10ft and it is about the same as 1080p maybe a hair better.  Plus there is no content to see in 4k.  I get a new display every year to 2 years and will get a OLED once i can buy a nice 60" for under $5k.  I really don't care about 4k since i don't view 2ft from the screen.  

I never cared for LED sets as they have banding, flash lighting and motion blur issues.  Plasma is much better, just OLED will kill anything that has ever been made once they get a few kinks worked out and the prices drop some more.  You can already buy a 555" OLED for around $3k. I just wanna wait it out another year or so.

Wow, I think that I missed the entire HD TV phase.  I bought 2 Mittsubishi HD Ready or HD Capable TV's in 2006, and paid extra so they would be future ready.  They do not have HDMI input and require some obsolete connector to input HD (Looks like a DVI but warns not to use a computer as an input).  So I have never used the HD capability in the TVs. 

Now 4K is getting affordable and OLED is next. 

I saw the 4K's and OLED at CES thsi year.  If you have a 50" screen, it looked about the same.  If you have a screen that is huge (and they were everywhere at CES) then the 4K looked like HD, but on a much bigger screen. 

As I have said before, I am happy that I got in on the last of the plasma with my 1080p 60-inch Samsung F8500; just an incredible picture.  OLEDs are better, but it'll take a few years before they are as affordable.

It's always nice to go help out your parents; good for you Youthman.

Edited by psg
  • Like 1

OLEDs are better,

That's pushing it a little bit, IMO.  

I think the benefits of OLED are that they are the best of both the plasma and LED/LCD worlds.  Smooth accurate colors with black blacks and white whites of the best plasmas with the brightness of LED/LCD's.

Bill

The best TVs in a few years will likely all be OLED

You are correct.  It is sad that plasmas will be completely phased out once stock is depleted.

OneCall has the Samsung 64" 8500 plasma for $2497.99.

http://onecall.com/samsung-pn64f8500-64-inch-3d-plasma-tv

A lot of money for a TV(IMO) but not bad for one of the best ever produced.

Bill

I paid around 2500 for my Panny 60VT60 back in June of 2013, and could sell it for what i paid for it now as there are none left.

Wish I could of been able to snag a VT or ZT60 before they went through the roof. However, I do very much love my F8500, with it calibrated its easily the best looking tv that I've owned.

Wish I could of been able to snag a VT or ZT60 before they went through the roof. However, I do very much love my F8500, with it calibrated its easily the best looking tv that I've owned.

Yeah me too, but they really have nothing on the Samsung 8500's. 

Pre/Amp:  B&K Reference 50, Acurus A250

How do you like the B&K/Acurus combo?  I have heard that the Reference 50 is one of the better midfi non HDMI pre/pros out there.

Bill

I think the benefits of OLED are that they are the best of both the plasma and LED/LCD worlds.  Smooth accurate colors with black blacks and white whites of the best plasmas with the brightness of LED/LCD's.
..not to mention the drastic improvement in pixel response time over LCD. An order of magnitude faster. Back down to Plasma and even CRT territory.

Don't buy a 4K right now. They may be temping due to dropping prices but they are already obsolete. Why I say this is they are 8bit right now and all new hardware will require a 10bit to run HDMI 2.0. If you want to watch Netflix in 4k it won't play on the 8bit 4K due to video format. Be patient.