Extracorporal Shock Wave Lithotripsy

A1UC

I heard that also , I had a 5mm on my left side and had the treatment done . The problem is its now stuck and they want to go in to remove it and install a stent .

Today I went for 2 inside of my right kidney at 10mm and the could only do one today , I was put under then woke up 30 min later because the machine broke lol .

I had to wait 45 min for a new machine to arrive then be put under a 2nd time . Im all good for now until 2 more weeks and then they blast  the 3 rd one .

just the Extracorporal Shock Wave Lithotripsy was 26k last treatment and that don't count all the extra things they did .

Edited by A1UC

Ive had my share of kidney stones. Last time they blasted them and put a stent in for 1 week and I had the lovely privilege of removing the 1' stent myself. I feel your pain and am truly sorry to hear it.

I was suppose to have a stent done today on left side because of bleeding but backed out , I'm going to give it 2 more weeks

• Moderators

I hate to say it but the stent was awful. Extremely uncomfortable to walk and sit down. Pulling it out was more mental than physical but 1hr after removing the stent, I had the worst pain (even after taking 3 pain pills) and the pain lasted over an hour. My wife told me none of the 4 children she delivered came even close to what she saw me go through.

My brother is going through this right now.  He's had them in the past and knows the pain all too well but this time there was no pain.  He started passing blood and didn't know what it was.  I think he has a dozen or so.  The Dr gave him 2 weeks to pass the first one or else he'll take steps to remove it.

Man, I have had so many procedures, I cant remember them all.  I am 59.  I have had at least 6 lithos done, carried a stint for a month after one of them, I hate the stints, and I always dope up hard before I go in to have them taken out.  One time, this urologist, he had such a dry sense of humor, but my insurance kept paying for his Porsche.  He said he would get the stint out if I would quit peeing on him, he and his nurse thought that was so funny!!!!!  I have had two procedures where they put a lazer up you to blast the stone apart.   I am currently in my second pee exam for this year, that is where you pee in a plastic container for two days to have it analyzed.  I also woke up in a litho  procedure one time, all the surgery team was talking about what they were going to do for the weekend, then they saw my eyes open and then I was out.  I wish I could say how you don't get them, but I think I will have stones until I pass, I just hope I don't end up in dialysis and kidney failure, my dad passed due to kidney failure, not me, give me the moraphine.  Sorry for the downer.  The only thing left for me is where they go in and remove the stone through the outside of your back, you stay in the hospital for three days when they do this, the stone is usually over 10 mm and near the tube when they do this, cant wait.  DRINK WATER, LIMIT MEAT.

Man, I have had so many procedures, I cant remember them all.  I am 59.  I have had at least 6 lithos done, carried a stint for a month after one of them, I hate the stints, and I always dope up hard before I go in to have them taken out.  One time, this urologist, he had such a dry sense of humor, but my insurance kept paying for his Porsche.  He said he would get the stint out if I would quit peeing on him, he and his nurse thought that was so funny!!!!!  I have had two procedures where they put a lazer up you to blast the stone apart.   I am currently in my second pee exam for this year, that is where you pee in a plastic container for two days to have it analyzed.  I also woke up in a litho  procedure one time, all the surgery team was talking about what they were going to do for the weekend, then they saw my eyes open and then I was out.  I wish I could say how you don't get them, but I think I will have stones until I pass, I just hope I don't end up in dialysis and kidney failure, my dad passed due to kidney failure, not me, give me the moraphine.  Sorry for the downer.  The only thing left for me is where they go in and remove the stone through the outside of your back, you stay in the hospital for three days when they do this, the stone is usually over 10 mm and near the tube when they do this, cant wait.  DRINK WATER, LIMIT MEAT.

I got a 10 mm blasted yesterday hope it comes out and does not get stuck , I had a 4.5mm blasted on left side and its been stuck for a month

• Moderators

When the Dr blasted my 5mm an 7mm, he said there was NOTHING left of it.  Absolutely obliterated.  I saw NOTHING come out in the strainer afterwards.

I too have no idea of what exactly it is that causes them.  I've heard everything from Tea to Soda to Meat.  I'm not sure they really know.  I personally think you either have problems with them or you don't.  I'm guessing it is hereditary as well as my Dad still deals with them too.

I wonder if I'm creating a time bomb....  (Hope the NSA internet sniffing software doesn't flag that word choice)

Anyways....  because of other issues, my doctor (Gastroenterologist) has recommended that I take a calcium suppliment.  I have some chewables that are (I think) 1,000 mg and I bite half off in the morning and the other half for dinner.

I have no idea what type stones I've had because I've never been able to catch them (for other reasons).

So, anyone know if taking 1,000 mg/day of calcium is just begging for more biscuits to be baking in my oven?

I wonder if I'm creating a time bomb....  (Hope the NSA internet sniffing software doesn't flag that word choice)

Anyways....  because of other issues, my doctor (Gastroenterologist) has recommended that I take a calcium suppliment.  I have some chewables that are (I think) 1,000 mg and I bite half off in the morning and the other half for dinner.

I have no idea what type stones I've had because I've never been able to catch them (for other reasons).

So, anyone know if taking 1,000 mg/day of calcium is just begging for more biscuits to be baking in my oven?

I was told lemon water or lemonade helps prevent them

I feel for all of you! This is my greatest phobia - years ago I was a paramedic and the worst pain I ever saw a human being in was a man with kidney stones. (And I had seen full body burns, compound femur fractures, lots of babies delivered, etc). If one of the men I transported was an animal, he would have just been taken out back and "put down". I have had tremendous respect/fear of kidney stones and those who battle them ever since.

Wishing you relief.

• Like 1