Heresy upgrade questions

bre's dad

Hi. I've had newer sets of Klipsch go in & out of the listening room (RB-81, KG 4.5, RF-5) and now have a set of '82 Heresy's I've restored am looking to mod. For starters, I've recapped the crossovers with stock value parts & reveneered the cabinets. Other than lack of bass (which I know is one of the main complaints on the Heresy) I have few issues. I do have some questions on what might be some good mods:

1. How much of a difference would it make to put in Crites titanium diaphrams?

2. I've read about a few mods to make with the existing crossovers involving reversing the polarity of the mid and tweeter. What benefits would that do? I've also seen where its been recommended using different taps on the autoformers that both use as well. What is the purpose of that?

Edited by bre's dad
  • Like 1

"now have a set of '82 Heresy's I've restored am looking to mod"

"How much of a difference would it make to put in Crites titanium diaphrams?"

None, you have K77M tweeters.

"What is the purpose of that?"

Balance the speaker better for use off the floor.

• Like 1

Pro-Cinema_Head: I stand corrected & edited the post.

RIght now, the speakers are on stands about 8" off the floor, slightly tilted back. They were stands I made for some other speakers that seem to work fine with these for now. I plan on making a set of risers (factory dimensions) and see how that sounds.

• Like 1

8 inches off the floor is far too much. It is certainly further reducing the bass, in spite of what others may claim. Try them on the floor. The bass will be enhanced the closer they are to the wall and preferably a corner.

Edited by PrestonTom
  • Like 1

• Moderators

What about resealing everything so there are no air leaks, Groomlake "Marshall" said many times it makes a big difference in the bass, and it does make sense.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

The bass will be enhanced the closer they are to the wall and preferably a corner.

I agree.  PWK did caution that putting speakers on (most) stands will degrade the bass.   A trihedral corner is best, with a little acoustical padding on the right and left corner walls, starting at the front of the speaker (not in back) to damp down midrange and treble reflections off the corner walls.  If the speakers are on the floor and you are too close to them, things may be in the way of the treble pathway (your knees when you are sitting, a table, etc.) even if you have the speakers angled up on risers.  Some people put speakers like these in the upper corners of a room, angled down, with the tweeters aimed right at the listeners ears.  That way you get bass reinforcement from all three surfaces, and your ears can be on axis..  Of course, if the room is too small, the listening angle will be too extreme, unless you are in bed.  Cautions: 1) The Heresy was not designed to be hung -- I can visualize it pulling it apart.  It should get some support from underneath, such as a shelf like support that presses up against the bottom with a small lip around all sides. and screwed into the studs.  The support can be angled down, if the speaker is securely attached to the support.  Somewhere there is a picture of several Heresy IIs with supports like this mounted at the wall/ceiling juncture at the Klipsch plant.  It was obviously a surround sound set-up, with several Heresy IIs along the walls, and Klipschorns in the rear corners.  Very cool. 2) Anytime a heavy speaker is mounted on a wall make sure it is earthquake safe. 

PWK said that putting any full range speaker in a corner would be like multiplying the amplifier power by about 4.  I would add that it would also shift the balance toward the bass.

Edited by Garyrc
  • Like 1

thanks for the input. The stands were originally made for some speakers that were placed in front of some in wall registers (were the only place to put the speakers at the time) so I had to raise them above the vents. I do agree those are a little too high for bass (you can tell a difference by moving them on the floor) though I do like having them closer to ear level when sitting on the couch. Building regular risers for them is on the list of stuff to do before it gets too cold to work outside (garage isn't well heated.) Unfortunately the way the room is set up, putting them in the corner isn't an option. There's a door in two corners and a wood stove in a third.

The boxes are pretty well sealed with foam tape. No noticeable air leaks have been found.

They've been recapped using some Dayton caps. I've played around using different brands of caps on other speakers but can't say I've noticed any difference so I went with what I already had on hand rather than order some (replacing them with better caps is an option in the future if it would make a difference.)

I've got the speakers hooked up on a vintage solid state McIntosh system (C26, MC2105.) I've also got an MQ-101 environmental EQ hooked up for some McIntosh speakers and that really helps on the low end too. I've hooked them up on my tube system but honestly, the tube system is so detailed on the highs & mids when combined with the Heresys its almost too much. But you can hear hints of very deep bass on that system you don't get on the McIntosh, but its in a different room set up all together and they are in corners there...

Edit: I opened one up tonight and noticed I used Jantzens not Daytons, not that it really matters.

Edited by bre's dad
  • Like 1

I've played around using different brands of caps on other speakers but can't say I've noticed any difference so I went with what I already had on hand rather than order some (replacing them with better caps is an option in the future if it would make a difference.)

Whether there is an audible difference between caps is an old controversy.  I believe PWK wrote an article about it being possible to make caps out of whiskey bottles.

• Like 1

If the backs come off of yours ...... I think I helped mine by reinforcing that panel from the inside by adding a layer of plywood to firm it up. If does not vibrate at all now so I think it helped. I also put a seal around the  edge to help seal the box better. One year in ice storm we had no power for a week hooked them to a battery powered boom box. You could hear them outside we had no power but we were rocking out. Neighbors were walking by with funny look on their face it was awesome.  Rick

• Like 1

I've played around using different brands of caps on other speakers but can't say I've noticed any difference so I went with what I already had on hand rather than order some (replacing them with better caps is an option in the future if it would make a difference.)

Whether there is an audible difference between caps is an old controversy.  I believe PWK wrote an article about it being possible to make caps out of whiskey bottles.

I was hoping to avoid the age old controversy of which caps are better and do they make a sonic difference... that's another topic beyond this.  :)

• Like 1

While cleaning out the garage I made some risers. Bass did improve some but the whole sound stage dropped also. It hurts the bass, but I kinda like them on the taller stands. I also put a 10 ohm resistor across one of the mids. I'll have to play with that. I like it a little lower but I think its pulled down a bit too much. Should have some 5 ohm resistors somewhere.

system before the risers:

DSC01262_zps3abe273f.jpg

height comparison:

DSC01296_zpse7f66ca0.jpg

I see you have Mac power I have a Mac amp and have not been able to get the bass out of it although I do not have the correct pre-amp it is shy in bass dept. for some reason. When I hooked sony walk man directly to it, it did help it a lot but the HK 430 sounded much deeper still to me. Could this be the reason you lack the bass you want to hear? Jut a thought.   Rick

"They sell an upgrade kit that turns your heresys into h3. "

Cannot be done with an early Heresy without extreme woodworking, kit is for the Heresy II.

The '82 would be a Heresy 1.5

i don't think there is a heresy 1.5     Colter just made that up

"They sell an upgrade kit that turns your heresys into h3. "

Cannot be done with an early Heresy without extreme woodworking, kit is for the Heresy II.

The '82 would be a Heresy 1.5

i don't think there is a heresy 1.5 Colter just made that up

There are some people that call the Heresy with the type E-II crossover the Heresy 1.5. Edited by prerich