Projector Suggestions (under $3000)

Youthman

How do you like the 8000?

i told you i love mine. i have seen a nice calibrated jvc at a really high end build here in kansas city and while it "may" have had slightly better blacks i didn't see the price difference between them.

and i agree with ref on the fact about the lumen output. when i cal with lights off my lamp power is on eco and brightness and contrast are both way down. and when i turn on my lights, while the picture may be washed out, it is still easily visible. i can still watch a movie while i eat then after done eating lights go right back on and we are back in business.  

In my situation... i run ECO mode but I don't crank down the brightness or contrast as I am at 180". :)

I think that as long as you get one of the suggested ones you will be fine... I think you will only see a difference if you are viewing them side by side. Once you turn it on you will forget all about the other models.

Edited by ellisr63

• Moderators

Wakejunkie modified the sketchup drawing for a 16:9 screen.  After visualizing a 16:9 screen in my room, I’ve decided I definitely want to stay with a 2.35:1 screen.  It fits so much better aesthetically and will give me a 150” diagonal for 2.35:1 and a 120” for 16:9.  Most of my content is scope material so it only makes sense.

HT16x9.jpg

• Like 1

I have the 8000.  I've never done a side by side.  All I know is that I can see individual blades of grass when watching football.  F1 is art in motion.  Movies are beautiful. I've run with some lights on and its ok, but I generally run in Bat Cave Mode.  The projector is 24 ft back on a 117" diagonal screen projecting through a hole in the wall.  I had to cheat a bit to get the pic to shrink to fit.   I've never done a pro calibration.  If i get within a few inches of the screen there is less than a pixel offset of colors.  This is unobservable from my seating location 10 ft back.  As I don't own a 3D capable reciever, I've never run a 3D movie.  That is my simple, user based review of a projector I'm extremely happy with. 

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Epson 5030UB.  (5030UBe is the same projector with line of site wireless)  I won't be getting the funky line of site wireless model.

It meets all your needs...except the power lens, I put a link to the Panasonic vs Epson shootout.  http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae8000_vs_epson_5030.htm

You can find a bunch of comparisons between the Panasonic Ae8000u and the Epson as well as newer Sony VPLHW40ES.  I am looking at all three of these models and keep changing my mind as to which one I want to go with.

While all three slightly trump the other two in several areas, the best black performance under $4,000 (retail) belong to the Epson.  I am pretty sure that the Epson will be my purchase.

The BenQ W1070 is also worth looking at with a Sub $1,000 dollar price, but it still doesn't compare with the three above.  Its just hard to beat for the money.  Hope this helps.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Epson 5030UB. (5030UBe is the same projector with line of site wireless)

I have the 6030UB which is the pro version of the 5030UB. It probably hasn't been mentioned because it does not have lens memory or power focus.

If you do decide to go 16:9, I recommend it in a heartbeat. It's a light cannon with excellent detail and great black levels. The only difference from the 5030UB is the 6030 is black instead of white and comes with an extra bulb, ceiling mount, 2 pairs of 3D glasses and an additional year of warranty. Also the ability to add an anamorphic lens.

The Panny 8000 sounds like it fits the bill so far.

• Moderators
It meets all your needs...except the power lens

Which is the most needed feature for my setup.  Doesn't look like the Epson's are a good fit.

If you do decide to go 16:9, I recommend it in a heartbeat.

I've definitely decided to stick with 2.35:1.  It fits much better aesthetically and even if I lose a little size in 16:9, I'm still getting a 120" image in 16:9.  I can easily live with that.  :D

Yes, I've emailed my friend that I would like to go with the 8000. 

• Like 1

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Epson 5030UB. (5030UBe is the same projector with line of site wireless)

I have the 6030UB which is the pro version of the 5030UB. It probably hasn't been mentioned because it does not have lens memory or power focus.

If you do decide to go 16:9, I recommend it in a heartbeat. It's a light cannon with excellent detail and great black levels. The only difference from the 5030UB is the 6030 is black instead of white and comes with an extra bulb, ceiling mount, 2 pairs of 3D glasses and an additional year of warranty. Also the ability to add an anamorphic lens.

If you want to watch 16x9 some times and other times 2.40... The power zoom / focus, and memory is a big difference in my opinion. I will not go to a non power zoom/focus/memory projector now that I have had one with it. It is so cool to pop in a movie and have the picture just start growing to the 2.40 screen size. :)

Edited by ellisr63

• Moderators
If you want to watch 16x9 some times and other times 2.40... The power zoom / focus, and memory is a big difference in my opinion. I will not got to a non power zoom/focus/memory projector now that I have had one with it. It is so cool to pop in a movie and have the picture just start growing to the 2.40 screen size. :)

I couldn't agree with you more.  I believe the 8000 actually does it automatically now?

• Like 1

If you want to watch 16x9 some times and other times 2.40... The power zoom / focus, and memory is a big difference in my opinion. I will not got to a non power zoom/focus/memory projector now that I have had one with it. It is so cool to pop in a movie and have the picture just start growing to the 2.40 screen size. :)

I couldn't agree with you more.  I believe the 8000 actually does it automatically now?

Once you save the setting for Zoom/Focus for the different aspect ratios it will automatically zoom/focus or un-zoom/focus (whatever is appropriate).

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Epson 5030UB.  (5030UBe is the same projector with line of site wireless)  I won't be getting the funky line of site wireless model.

It meets all your needs...except the power lens, I put a link to the Panasonic vs Epson shootout.  http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae8000_vs_epson_5030.htm

You can find a bunch of comparisons between the Panasonic Ae8000u and the Epson as well as newer Sony VPLHW40ES.  I am looking at all three of these models and keep changing my mind as to which one I want to go with.

While all three slightly trump the other two in several areas, the best black performance under $4,000 (retail) belong to the Epson.  I am pretty sure that the Epson will be my purchase.

The BenQ W1070 is also worth looking at with a Sub $1,000 dollar price, but it still doesn't compare with the three above.  Its just hard to beat for the money.  Hope this helps.

Under 4k its jvc that has the best blacks. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Under 4k its jvc that has the best blacks.

According to the calculator pro, the JVC RS-45 isn't bright enough to go up to a 150".  It shows that it will only go up to a 140" screen at the closest throw distance.  The Panasonic AE8000u will go from 150" at the closest throw distance to 190" at the furthest throw distance.

• Like 1

What's best mode? And either way your gonna calibrate in your own room so beat mode won't apply it will be your mode period. Eco most likely of all dark. So in my opinion you are paying more money for slightly better black. If I had the money I'd do it. Period. But to me the panny was worth every penny. And in youths case for bartering it will be worth so much more.

• Like 1

What model in the JVC would be comparable to the Panny 8000?

Solely with a kinda sorta not really similar price point in mind and nothing else, the entry level JVC is the DLAX35.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Thx Metro.  Looks like that is last year's model and it was around $3500.  Yeah, so not really in the same price range.  I was just trying to see if there was a $2500 - $3000 range JVC.  If so, I would then have to determine if it would be worth $500 - $1000 out of pocket.  If I can work the barter deal out with no out of pocket, I guess I really can't beat that.  Probably no sense in spending the extra money when I don't have to and should be more than pleased with the upgrade of the 8000 over my current 3000u.

• Like 1