I'm a noob and need some help please. R-28F

NEVRL8

I spoke with a Sony Rep. at my local Best Buy store who highly recommended the Klipsch R-28F reference speakers. I plan on having a 5.1 system when complete. He suggested that I could BI-AMP the R-28F speakers with a 7.1 receiver/amplifier. Even though he was a Sony Rep. he suggested the Pioneer VSX-80 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-80

I have since been told that the VSX-80 would not have enough power for the R-28F and that you really shouldn't BI-AMP the speakers anyway. This is confusing to me. Could some of you more knowledgeable people look at the specs of the VSX-80 in the link I posted and help a brother out?? THANKS

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.  When I had my Yamaha RX-V1800 (130 x 7) receiver, I tried bi-amping using the internal bi-amp feature in the receiver and I did not hear any difference whatsoever. 

That receiver will power the R-28F with no problem.  The R-28F have a sensitivity rating of 98db. This means they placed a microphone 1 meter from the speaker and fed it 1 watt of power and it hit 98db on a db meter.  It takes twice the power to get a 3db gain in volume.

1 watt = 98db

2 watt = 102db

4 watt = 106db

8 watt = 109db

16 watt = 112db

32 watt = 115db

64 watt = 118db

128 watt = 121db

256 watt = 123db

So with 90 watts of power, you can hit over 118db with the R-28F speakers.  Your ears will give out before the speakers do.  :D

As you can see, the higher up you go in wattage, it takes a TON more wattage to be able to hear a difference.

• Like 3

Thanks guys. The only reason I ask is because the person who told me it wouldn't work also sold Klipsch speakers in his store. He suggested I go with the R-26F instead. I can get the R-28F pair for just $100 more so I would rather have them. Just wanted to make sure they would work with the receiver I picked out. Thanks again and if anyone else has any advise or insight it would be appreciated.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Before you buy them, give a few other dealers a call and see if they can give you a better price. Give W.C. A call at Panacea Engineering or Mike at Sound a distributors. Some forum members say those guys can often get you into a better speaker for the same price or maybe even less money. Doesn't hurt to ask.

• Like 1

Spend the same amount of money or less, and get the better speaker rf82ii , by calling sound distributors....

yes please do! You will get a much better speaker for the same

Price or maybe even less than what beat buy will sell you. Or acoustic sound design. Call them both. CALL. That's the only way to get the best quotes.

• Like 1

Best Buy's Black Friday add has the R-28F for $249 each. I thought that was a great deal. I'm sure there are better speakers but at $249 I don't think I can beat these?

Depends.

There were RF-5's in Minneapolis last week for $500...it'd shame the everliving poo out of the R-28's.  I'd even put the RF-62's over the R-28's personally.

• Like 1

Best Buy's Black Friday add has the R-28F for $249 each. I thought that was a great deal. I'm sure there are better speakers but at $249 I don't think I can beat these?

Depends.

There were RF-5's in Minneapolis last week for $500...it'd shame the everliving poo out of the R-28's.  I'd even put the RF-62's over the R-28's personally.

You seem to not be a fan of the R-28F. I take it you have heard a pair set up properly, and directly compared these other models you are recommending in their place? It is okay if you don't like them, I am just surprised you feel that strongly against them. I feel they are a fantastic value for their price.

• Like 1

I did get an opportunity to finally, yes.  I'm not saying they're a bad value, but it's hard to compare a speaker such as the RF-5 - a speaker that has a sort of legend associated with it in it's own right to the R-28's.  Especially when the going rate for the 5's is the same as the Black Friday price.

• Like 1

Depends.

You seem to not be a fan of the R-28F. I take it you have heard a pair set up properly, and directly compared these other models you are recommending in their place? It is okay if you don't like them, I am just surprised you feel that strongly against them. I feel they are a fantastic value for their price.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were a tiny bit better than the synergy line. But lets make sure we call a spade a spade. The R-28 is an f-30 painted black and copper. And then re branded a reference speaker. 

R-28F-Front_635391252602180000_medium.jp

F-30-Front_635042244000910000_medium.jpg

Edited by Pro-Cinema_Head
  • Like 2

How good are the RF 28's, they are similar to the Icon VF 36 speakers I had  I still own my VF 35's and and have not felt a need to upgrade them to Referce RF 3 or RF 5's.  I have spent money on a lot of othe gear, so fund have nothing to do with me keeping them.

• Like 1

How good are the RF 28's, they are similar to the Icon VF 36 speakers I had I still own my VF 35's and and have not felt a need to upgrade them to Referce RF 3 or RF 5's. I have spent money on a lot of othe gear, so fund have nothing to do with me keeping them.

the icon v and w series in my opinion were a much better speaker than and of the k series icons. Which to me is exactly what the new reference series is the are reprinted kf-28, kc-25, and so on and I've heard at others houses and owned the kf-28 and while they were OK, they were a mess when pushed very hard. And when I say hard maybe -10. Don't even bother to try for anything near reference. They just start to distort.

While you feel they may be a deal at 500$, I feel like spending 500 on anything that is sub par is a waste when you could spend 750 on a pair of rf-62ii and get a much superior speaker. As well as when you grab a center you have the opportunity to buy a matching center that is a real center. The rc-62 I had compared to the kc-25 is just a joke. Sorry but that's the truth.

• Like 2

That's what I need to hear guys, thanks. I definitely don't mind spending a little more to get better. I guess since the R-28F was said to be the best in store they had I thought that half price sale must be a steal. I guess not. I may be in over my head with all of this. I just got a 65" 4K Sony TV and wanted to upgrade my surround sound system as well. I'm not a audiophile but I do like great sound when watching movies. I don't want to spend $1500 - 2 grand on everything and not have a great system. I may need to do more research.