A two-million page website you have to bookmark!

Arkytype

Whether your interests are directed to Audio, Broadcasting, Electronics Hobbyist, you will find a treasure trove of information at www.americanradiohistory.com. 

David Gleason, a retired broadcaster, has, at his expense scanned hundreds of magazine, catalog and other publications for your perusal. Many of the titles are searchable--an invaluable aid if you are researching a topic.

Rather than go into any detail on the site, just go there and be prepared to spend a pleasant hour or more. Note that the drop down menus have sub menus.

Enjoy!!!

Lee

• Like 1

"how did they ever get that completed"

The pages are cut from the book and fed into a self-loading scanner.

I have two copies of Acoustical Engineering by Harry F. Olson, so I am thinking of donating one to be destroyed.

Edited by djk

For those periodicals that aren't "searchable", most of the December issues of a given year will have an article index.

Just did a search for "Klipsch" for Audio Engineering/Audio and it returned 182 hits! You can winnow down your results by searching within a particular decade, say the 1950s or being more specific with your search words.

For an insight into the "birth" of audio and digital technology, check out the Bell Laboratories Record. In its heyday, Bell Labs was the embodiment of an engineering think tank unfettered by corporate bean counters. The BLR is a record of the engineering marvels we now take for granted: The condenser microphone (1916!), the negative feedback amplifier (1934), bass reflex loudspeaker (1932), Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem ( basis for all digital audio/video compression algorithms) ( 1924!).

Lee   

Taking it back to the old school... "extreme bass" was popular even in 1953 apparently.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Audio/Archive-Audio-IDX/IDX/50s/Audio-1953-Oct-OCR-Page-0070.pdf

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

PWK licensed his products to several manufacturers over the years and their respective ads are well worth the search.

Is this the first mention of the Heresy (which was called the Model H)?

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Audio/Archive-Audio-IDX/IDX/50s/Audio-1958-Mar-OCR-Page-0078.pdf#search=%22klipsch model h%22

Lee, you sorry piece of work.  Just what I need, 2 million pages of fascination.  Took a trip over there and down to the "wayback" department and spot "Television News" from...1932.  Looks like my kind of fun and then I see it is edited, fer' cryin' out loud, by Hugo Gernsbeck.  Instantly hooked...

Issue one, article one:  The Tele-Theatre.  Of course, that is what precisely has happened in the movies in the past decade, some 80 years later.   And Hugo is mainly thinking it's a way to bring down prices for the legitimate stage, which was, of course, dying in his time due to the movies.  However, I am sure he realized that it would happen to movies as well eventually. 

SERIOUS visionary!  I haven't read the whole thing yet, but saw pictures of experimental 10X10 screens.  Heady times, they were.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Hello, my name is Lee and I am an AmericanRadioHistory'oholic. It's been two days since my last download.......

Dave, you're correct, the site will instantly hook you. My favorite all-time technical publication was Wireless World which I subscribed to in the '70 and '80s but foolishly threw my collection away. The ARH site has 30+ years' worth of issues. You get there by clicking on Early Radio>Hobbyist and Construction>Wireless World from the UK.

It was in the February 1945 issue of Wireless World that one prescient Arthur C. Clarke of the British Interplanetary Society proposed.....An "artificial satellite" at the correct distance from the earth would make one revolution every 24 hours; i.e.; it would remain stationary above the same spot and would be within optical range of nearly half the earth's surface. Three repeater stations, 120 degrees apart in the correct orbit could give television and microwave coverage to the entire planet. Instead of three, we now have over a hundred geostationary satellites operating in the Clarke Orbit.

Lee

My favorite all-time technical publication was Wireless World which I subscribed to in the '70 and '80s but foolishly threw my collection away. The ARH site has 30+ years' worth of issues. You get there by clicking on Early Radio>Hobbyist and Construction>Wireless World from the UK.
Wireless World was my favorite magazine when I was a teenager.I didn't subscribe, but picked them up a t a local grocery in their magazine section. I can't imagine why they stocked it, but it was a wonderful magazine.

Bruce