The Cornwall Name

As posted here earlier, by HDBRBuilder I believe, the La Scalas were named for the famous Italian opera house which bears the same name. I thought I remember reading here that La Scala also meant "wall" but my italian dictionary says the wall is "la parete". So, I'm sure about the wall connection with the La Scala name.

The Heresey bears the name because it was a heresey to not have a horn loaded woofer (first Klipsch design without horn woofer).

I've no idea where the Belle got it's name.

Did you know the Klipschorn, when viewed from the front, has the same dimensions as the golden rectagle? This was also by design of PWK so that the speaker would be aethetically pleasing.

Mace

I believe LaScala means a scale or ladder. Problably as one would scale a wall with a ladder. The musical scale looks like a ladder. Maybe in the opera house it refers to balconies or levels which are like a ladder.

Oh well, I'm going to lunch at Arby's and have a roast beef sandwich. An r.b. sandwich. Smile. I gave myself a headslap when I figured out that little gem. How much else is out there which I'm oblivious to?

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-02-2002 at 02:04 PM

Depending on the context in which you use it, la scala can mean "the wall" ...as in a walled fortification or stone wall(something you have to climb over)...or "balance scale" or a number of other things...it also depends on the vernacular of the region...Italian is a funny language, but not nearly as funny as English is...in Northern Italian the word for ashtray, "Porta cenere" translates literally to "portable ashcan", for instance...and when you order something "to go" it is "porta via"..."to carry on the street"... "calzone" is a "pizza turnover" if you use that term talking about food, but if you are in a department store, it means "women's panties"...gotta love a language like that!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 08-02-2002 at 01:36 PM

Does "Bose" mean something in Italian? or is it a universal term having the same meaning in all human languages? Smile.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-02-2002 at 02:09 PM

Gil---You live in The City and you're going to Arbie's for a sandwhich?!? Good God man, I'm driving all the way down to 12th St. and Jefferson tomorrow from Bolingbrook just for a good corned beef sandwich at Mannies. Try La Milanese at 32nd and May for breaded steak sandwiches, much better than Ricobenes on 26th St. :-)

So, people in Illinois refer to Chicago as "The City"? People around here refer to Kansas City as "The City". Hmm, must be some Great Universal Truth hidden in there somewhere...

...I thought the "Cornwall" name came from some connection PWK had with a town of the same name somewhere in the British Isles? (Cornwall, England?)

------------------

JDM

As Alan Songer correctly the Klipsch Belle was named for Belle Klipsch (PWK's first wife)... but there is more to the story.

PWK wanted to have a center channel for three-speaker stereo but his wife objected to having a Cornwall on its side under a table and held that the LaScala was too "ugly" to be in the middle of her living room. Thus, PWK designed the Belle as a fully horn loaded WAF accommodation... and it remained in his living room even to his dying day. Basically, it is a "beautified LaScala" with about the same sound but a lot more expensive to build. -HornED

PS: LaScala Opera House is the world's largest marble structure... and LaScala speakers are the most likely design for maxg to make out of Greek marble slabs.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 08-03-2002 at 08:08 AM

Mace,

Actually, the correct MOST USED term for the word "wall" in Italiano is "muro"...in general translation for the word "wall"...as in "I hung it on the livingroom wall." "Parete" is the more DISCERNING term, being an INTERIOR wall...and would be found in architectural discussion in Italiano. "La scala" would be used as in "the wall of the city" or any fortification that has to be climbed in order to overcome it, it also is used for "ladders, stairs, landings, and stop-offs", depending on gender used...Like I said, Italian is a funny language! Fewer words than in English, but many times a number of different words take on the same meaning, depending on where you are in the country and what you are talking about!...also depending on the GENDER used in nouns! Smile.gif

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 08-03-2002 at 08:24 AM

What HornEd said....and if you notice the time-frame of when the Belle Klipsch first entered the line-up as an offering, and ALSO notice when the so-called "vertical horn" Cornwall 2 disappeared from the line as a standard offering, you MAY just be able to see why!! Not only did its sales drop-off drastically because the Belle became the center channel speaker of choice between two k-horns in a living room(WAF factor), but it was a smarter move for the company, since the Belle was MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE, and, in essence, made a bit more money for the company, while its horn-loading made it a better match as a center channel than the Cornwall 2 on its side was!

------------------