Waf/gf Factor

cluless

It would be interesting to see what percentage of audio equipment is bought by women. I suspect the muber would be low. My wife's step mom came over the other day. She asked me where she could get a deal on a sound sytem. I was taken aback. I aked her what she wanted and her response was a bose wave radio. I laughed to myself and told her about mysimon.com. I found that people who don't know much about audio do know the boae name. That is a tetament to bose. Anyway, ,my wife is very cool. She actually likes my Cornwalls and K-horns. SHe drove 6 hours round trip to help me load my K-horns so that says something. I often find her using our 5.1 setup to watch her shows. Mostly because she can hear it better then what comes out of the smallish TV speaker. And she likes to demo the Eagles DTS disc for her friends. She takes no interest in speakers or amplifiers but trusts me to put together our sound systems so we have something of good quality. She dug her nails into me when I bought my Pioneer 47A. Why did u buy a machine (what she calls it) that only plays certain disks and that we can't use in the bedroom or car. She has a good point but I had to have it anyway..... Women just don't get into tinkering and stuff like men do but I believe most of them appreciate good sound.

------------------

My Klipsch Page

www.nyonline.com/klipsch

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife's appreciation of Klipsch speakers has grown over the past year. She started off tolerating my hobby but now shows a real interest in the music and to a smaller degree in the equipment. She definitely prefers the sound of vinyl. The other day she said regarding a leonard Cohen disc - "Wow that's a nice CD it sounds almost like a record!"

Hi all! I know I'm not on here very much but I had to comment on this. Clueless, as a matter of fact, when I met Steve he only listened to rock-n-roll. Since that time I have exposed him to the wonders of many kinds of music. There is not much music out there that I don't like. By the way, I love Black Sabbath Paranoid. cwm20.gifThere is no WAF here to worry about. We are a team and discuss everything. I am not as good with the technical things as he is but I really appreciate good sound in music and HT. As some of you know, I have taken a couple of long HOT road trips with Steve to look at speakers, which by the way I was writing the check for immediately upon seeing and hearing them. It has been a wonderful experience knowing Steve and taking an interest in what he likes. I was exposed to Klipsch right after meeting him and have been in love ever since ( I meant with Klipsch, although it was love at first sight with Steve too) cwm17.gif Anyway, sorry this is so long...just wanted to put in my...errrr...two cents worth cwm4.gif

Oh Yeah! I wanted to add that I loved going to Hope for the fan tour. Anyone who didn't go really missed a great time!

And Boa, I'm from the south and I can pronounce my l's. hehehe

------------------

The token female for the Klipsch Fan Club Tour 2001

This message has been edited by Mystery Guest on 08-10-2002 at 09:31 AM

• 2 weeks later...

Originally posted by jtkinney...

"I always wanted to put the guy who drove past my house with the bass thumping in the chamber and thump the mic one time. I think it would have flattened him and his car."

I know I'm coming in late on this, but that was a good one!

I'm still laughing!cwm27.gif

I understand the people who have well educated spouses who accept their partners interests even if they dont take part in them. My ex-wife didnt even though she had a BS degree . She earned it by years of hanging around her divorce lawyer I paid for.

I've got a chamber in mind I'd like to put both of them in. Are we still laughing ? cwm4.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

If i ever hear on headline news, that a set of Klipsch cornwalls, packed with amonium nitrate took out a building, then my wife might make me get smaller speakers!

Actually, i wanted to sell a set of chorus to a fellow BB member, but she wouldnt let me!

That was when i brought the Klipschorns home! Now i have 1 set in the closet!

Regards Jim

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 08-25-2002 at 09:24 AM

"Sooner or later, every tweaking married or unmarried audiophile is bound to come against that wall of feminine resistance known affectionately in the audio hobby as the wife acceptance factor (WAF). This immovable force of interpersonal physics is not easily swayed by the exciting qualities that make the male of the species clamor like jumbo-sized children arguing over a foul ball or a three-foot long dirt-stained slide into third base.

The WAF is not easily moved by the pyrotechnics of modern electronic equipment: tube hybrids, OTL amplifiers, active crossovers, 2dB ranges, transmission lines, massive power supplies, single-ended triodes, refrigerator size bulks, horn-loading, corrugated ports, deep-bass woofer tubes, Kevlar cones, line drive arrays, MTM arrangements, smooth Cherry wood curves, gold 5-way binding posts, Litz wire, 005%THD, 500-watts into 4-ohm power, 2" voice coils, 104dB/w/m efficiency, bullet tweeters, vibration isolation platforms, solid silver cores, cross-braced dampening, bullet pounding action, room shaking booms or ear tickling highs.

No, the majority of "little miss sensitive ears" - with whom I, and many of my online compodres, share our humble, but equipment-crowded, abodes - are patently immune to the finer points of the tweaking audiophile hobby! They care not for the space, décor, noise, expense, time and energy allocated to this activity, despite that it is one of the best stay-close, "where I can protect you, honey" in-home hobbies.

And the more is the pity too. For their upper hearing range extends further and flatter than the range of any tweaking audiophile old enough to remember where they were on the day of President Kennedy's shocking demise. This upper-end female capability results in an enviable sensitivity to tonal truth, flatness, evenness and balance in the mid frequency range, which middle-aged tweaking audiophiles can barely remember and yet therefore, impossibly covet..."

(from a work in progress)

------------------

Colin's Music System Ak-2 Khorns & Klipsch subs; lights out, tubes glowing & smile beaming!

****!

A nice quote from Colin -

"No, the majority of "little miss sensitive ears" - with whom I, and many of my online compodres, share our humble, but equipment-crowded, abodes - are patently immune to the finer points of the tweaking audiophile hobby! They care not for the space, décor, noise, expense, time and energy allocated to this activity, despite that it is one of the best stay-close, "where I can protect you, honey" in-home hobbies."

I'm astounded..

Colin - My suggestion ...

Burn the work in progress...incenerate it! Stick to fish stories...I found your views insulting, and at some level I knew where you were coming from. But the whole John Wayne..."Baby let me protect you line".... took every reasonable thought I had and threw it into the proverbial "veg-o-mattic"... My initial response included many, many lines involving snorkle relocation.

Watch your assets Colin!c>

Cluless has been attack chauvinist training the Flompies and feeding them raw meat!

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 08-26-2002 at 08:39 PM

Weeeeeeeeeeee Doggies .All you pilgrims better watch your steps. Look where I ended up with Less.

I dont have time to get involved in such a discussion. Im too busy trying to locate a transcontinental length of Monster dryer cord I can use on the West coast while plugged into an outlet in a basement in New Jersey.

Talk about getting caught between a Plymouth Rock and a crawl space! Actually its kind of cozy in here. He He. But since this kwazy rabbit never stays put for too long I gotta go. Im Bzzzzzzzzzzzzy

icon97.gif Boing Boing Boing !

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

EHT, NJ News Flash - Animal control seizes mutated house pets.

A local woman and an unidentified Scrapple man were arrested for feeding pet flompies (genus -flompulus doodlus) raw meat. Normally these green vegetarian creatures are docile and quite friendly. However; they become violent and aggressive when raw meat is introduced to their diets. The practice of feeding these animals raw meat is illegal in all states except Louisiana, where flesh fed flompies are used to control the alligator population. It appears the man and woman were living in the crawlspace of the EHT residence of the arrested woman's twin sister, and raising the flompies for purposes unknown at this time. Police were summoned to the EHT address in response to neighbor's complaints of strange noises emanating from the property. Police have also confiscated many sections of large gauge wire, and are searching for the mysterious wire chomping animal(s) which are still at large.icon97.gif

mmm, maybe I will delete that line, though I do like controversy (I hate being wrong), let me first see how many tweaking audiophiles, held down by the application of the WAF at home, complain ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Ak-2 Khorns & Klipsch subs; lights out, tubes glowing & smile beaming!

If I never see that cliche-ridden "WAF" again, it wont be too soon.

My wife, and most of my girlfriends before that, LOVE music, both listening and playing. Three of my past girlfriends actually have very nice systems, two of which are tube amp driven. While none of them have opted for horns, they all have excellent sounding gear and appreciate music. My wife listens to and actively uses our main system all the time, playing vinyl and CDs (much preferring vinyl). She loves 50-60s jazz and Indie music from the 70s-90s as well as opera, classical, and very pure folk music.

In addition, I find the "wife approval factor" a sad stereotype that should be done away with. To be honest, I actually do more of the decorating in our house and we both appreciate good aethetics. I am perhaps even more picky then she is (Hopefully, both women and men have some sense of aethetics).

Audrey has a GREAT ear and loves tubes and vinyl. Hell, she actually does not even PLAY CDs if there is vinyl available. I find women can be equally involved in music and the equipment surrounding it, although they tend to focus more on the music and how the equipment serves it...which, in my view, is a good thing and something many men can learn from.

kh

ps- Colin...yeah, I would dump that text. Even Stereophile has worked that angle to the ground. It has gotten almost trite, even when done tongue in cheek.

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 08-28-2002 at 05:58 AM