football TV subscriptions?

Paducah Home Theater

So what's the best way to watch football nowadays without spending too much? Do you need an ESPN subscription? NFL Sunday Ticket? Fox Sports? I have no idea, I have only had a few channels for years and only pick up a few stray games, none of which are meaningful or in high def. Last year the super bowl was the only game I watched.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

I know of two ways in my world.  There is a "Watch ESPN" app for the iPhone.  You can't get all the football games (except some NFL), but you can get most games.

For other games, I can go through ESPN and get free games if ESPN is televising them, through my internet provider Suddenlink. You have to register for this.  There is a long list of other IP's which qualify for the free on-line football as well.

I don't know about other football games on network TV via the net because I haven't looked.

Edited by wvu80

Get DirecTV satellite, they give "free" NFL Sunday ticket, and loads of college games.

I'm not interested in college football and like watching tv when it rains.

Well, you must have a different kind of rain then, because I had both DirecTV and DISH at my house way out in the boonies Washington State, where it rains 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and the only time I had a drop out was when we had 6 inches of snow, and then 2 inches of ice.  Otherwise, not a single problem.....the "rain issue" is cable propaganda....

Oh, and that was for 8 years....

Edited by jimjimbo

satellite doesn't work when it rains? I have not experienced this, knock on wood. Where i live there is no cable and no over the air, satellite is the only option.

I was referring to satellite.  I've seen it go out at my parents house in FL, my brothers house in GA and here at work in TX.  I'll pass.

Depending on your provider, there are 2 channels that will give you up to the minute reports on all games, albeit not being able to watch each one, and then when someone is in the red zone and getting ready to score. It's NFL Redzone and does every game that's on that day up until 7PM. I have started watching that more than watching the games instead, although I do go back and forth on this and the games that are in my area.

The satellite companies have come a long way and in my area, there are very infrequent losses of signal when inclement weather, except for DISH Network, they still have issues. I am forced to have cable as DIRECTV won't give me a signal due to the trees that are in the way of where I am at.My house faces the opposite way the dish needs to be and because of the back yard I have 3 trees that are about 50-60 feet high so the dish can't hit where it needs to hit for a signal.

he should let us know HOW MUCH & WHAT TYPE he wants, location, et Cetera...

A game a week, no more than two, but I like high quality commentators since I don't know what's going on, plus want it in high definition if at all possible. Used to watch Monday Night Football when John Madden was still around, I enjoyed that. Haven't watched TV in forever, have only had stuff like KET for awhile but I just got a new cable box with a few more channels, should be able to get NBC which I guess broadcasts Sunday Night Football. Kept trying to see if I could find a streaming service but the only one I found which was Sunday Ticket I believe requires DirecTV. I already have fiber coming to my house so I don't really want a satellite solution unless I have to. Mostly just trying to introduce my son to it, I'm not a huge fan. I used to be a running back in high school and like playing but have never been a big fan of other teams.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

have you tried a cheap antenna? are you close to the twin cities?

Haven't tried it yet due to not being a TV fan. I'm in rural Kentucky but I can probably pick stuff up. Unfortunately the basic cable I'm getting is not hi def.

• Like 1

if you have a QAM tuner, you may be able to get local stations in HD, by hooking the cable directly to the HDTV & Scanning; many HDTV's have such tuners built-in...

don't know the law anymore, but, they used to be required by federal law to carry all local stations in HD, on basic cable...this year my local cable company COMCAST scrambled them so a cable box is required...

try & find out...this does NOT require any antenna...