Digital File based music - How I do it

Thaddeus Smith

I like the raspberry pi thingy. I will see what I can accomplish with a Xbox360 in the next week or so. But if I can replace my laptop with something like the raspberry pi then I want to look at it more.

Can the raspberry pi be controlled by my phone or laptop. As select files, along with pause and playing.

For a "nas" I am currently using a 500 gb hard drive, connected to my netgear router using readynas.

Edited by duder1982

Can the raspberry pi be controlled by my phone or laptop. As select files, along with pause and playing.

of the three installations I listed, all of them have a web interface that can be accessed by any device with a web browser. archphile is the most primitive, but even it supports the functions you mention.

or you can use dedicated apps to control MPD directly. search "MPD iOS apps" or "MPD android apps" 

• Like 1

There are some alternatives to the Raspberry that have more compouitng power, but the Raspberry seems to have the most suport.  I do liek that these things boot up quickly.  Probably a good solution.

Indeed... many network attached storage devices have their own cpu's. That's fairly straight forward.

Raspbmc is a minimal Linux distribution based on Debian that brings XBMC to your Raspberry Pi. This device has an excellent form factor and enough power to handle media playback, making it an ideal component in a low HTPC setup, yet delivering the same XBMC experience that can be enjoyed on much more costly platforms. Raspbmc is brought to you by the developer of the Crystalbuntu Linux Distribution, which brings XBMC and 1080p decoding to the 1st generation Apple TV.

Here’s why you might like Raspbmc:

• Free and open source.
  • Supports both wired and WiFi out of the box!
  • Multiple languages supported
  • No knowledge of Linux is needed. If you want to use the Raspberry Pi as an XBMC frontend you can do exactly that with no knowledge of how anything works.
  • It can be installed with a few simple clicks from a Mac or a PC running Windows or Linux.
  • It’s auto updating, meaning you constantly get new features, performance and driver updates. You can however turn updates off at any time.
  • It supports 1080p playback.
  • Share your content from your PC over NFS, SMB, FTP and HTTP and a USB drive in almost any format.
  • AirPlay and AirTunes support allow you to send music and video from your iDevice to the TV.
  • Full GPIO support!
  • Nanny Cam support using Raspberry Pi Camera
  • Ambilight support
  • As it is a Debian system, it is completely expansive and you can install any packages from Debian’s massive repository!
  • … and much more!

Here’s some more ‘advanced’ features:

• 1080p DTS decoding in software.
  • USB sound card support
  • Can be installed to SD card, USB drive, or run off an NFS share.
  • Wake on LAN support for remote systems
  • Has the following services embedded:
    • Samba server
    • TVHeadend server
    • FTP server
    • SSH server
    • sabNZBD server
  • Secure out of the box – iptables restricts network to LAN only by default.
  • HTML 5 web browser

Seems to play with Foobar2000 very well and it plays my Ripped bluerays better than just about anything else I have.

The XBMC option looks interesting for video and music. 

Looks like the Raspberry is a little slow with the video.  Wouldn't something like this be better for video and audio?  The price is about the same.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/E240-mini-pc-thin-client-case-latest-mini-computer-L-19-support-touchscreen-display-barcode-scanner/1939200677.html

• 2 weeks later...

PM me when the English translation of this thread comes out.  I'll be in the garage with a hammer and screwdriver.

it's really not difficult at all. Thaddeus' thread helped push me to take the plunge to properly bring digital music into my "analog" system. i too, was worried about the difficulty level, but once my raspberry pi finally showed up, it was up and running, playing music in under ten minutes. my implementation uses an ethernet connected raspberry pi, feeding an audioengine D1 DAC, soon via a hifiberry board once it comes in the mail. the hifiberry board is only necessary to get 24/192 output via toslink, the raspberry pi will deliver up to 24/96 as-is. i'm using the Volumio operating system, which actually required NO programming to get up and running, just flash the image to the microSD card. i use Jriver MC and it recognized volumio automatically as a DLNA player. sure, it's more involved if you want to control the RPi through the web interface, or go wireless, but for most users i think using jriver through your phone or tablet is sufficient, and a hardwired ethernet connection is more reliable, and easy.

• Like 1

Starting to understand this Pi, so couple ??

does it have spdif output or only usb ?    From pics I saw an audio port but it looks like a 3.5, not spdif

does the pi have memory other than the sd card ??

could one load j-river on an sd card if desired and use tv as a monitor and then navigate j river via the pi - tv, using a mouse ??

if all the above is possible, then I am thinking you could hook the pi to tv as monitor and an out via usb to a dac hook up a external HD as storage to the pi and free up laptop   Correct ??

Edited by joessportster

Starting to understand this Pi, so couple ??

does it have spdif output or only usb ?    From pics I saw an audio port but it looks like a 3.5, not spdif

does the pi have memory other than the sd card ??

could one load j-river on an sd card if desired and use tv as a monitor and then navigate j river via the pi - tv, using a mouse ??

if all the above is possible, then I am thinking you could hook the pi to tv as monitor and an out via usb to a dac hook up a external HD as storage to the pi and free up laptop   Correct ??

no native spdif out. you need to use usb or or an add-on board that connects to the GPIO pins.

no memory other than the SD card.

no on jriver. raspberry pi is linux only.

yes, I'm using it to free up my laptop - but I've lost jriver as a result.

archphile is the "package". it combines arch linux as the OS, mpd as the music player, and ympd as the web interface. i always recommend jriver to guys entering the world of file based music, but it's not the only solution out there. once you get your system and your needs figured out you can start looking at alternatives - for me, it was important to get my daily use laptop out of the mix, along with all of the noise inducing components of a PC.

the raspberry pi has no moving parts, is entirely flash storage based, uses very little power, and can run only essential software without a bunch of overhead bloat. and it can be permanently installed in my system. I was also looking at a mac mini with j.river, but it was just too expensive to justify for a dedicated music-only playback computer.

I was initially confused by your approach but after looking a bit I am coming around, I also like the idea of taking a 1000.00 pc outta the mix if a 40.00 unit will work, I will take a look at archphile

How would you compare Jrivers user friendliness to archphile, Is there a large learning curve ?? or is it somewhat straight forward