cornwall woofer upgrade- jbl - ev etc

OO1

I don't have a CW but I have Bob's Cornscala with CW1526 and CW1526C woofs. I'm also dealer of many European brands in my area so I could check different woofers to see how they perform in a BR cabinet like CW. there are some driver I remember so far:

JBL 2226H: good punch, adequate bass but not in the face. not very linear in front of a mic

I preferred it over CW1526©: No

JBL M115A8: low efficiency, not much bass, nor a good upper bass

I preferred it over CW1526©: Hell no!

Selenium 15SW600: the painting of the basket give me the creeps but this thing performs well. deep bass and pretty linear. ugly "JBL Selenium" logo on the dome could be easily removed.

I preferred it over CW1526©: I don't know.

BD15: top notch quality, deep bass in right Q box, reference upper bass, high efficiency, fast and devastatingly linear!

I preferred it over CW1526©: absolutely

Beyma 15LX60V2: deep bass, high efficiency, fast, pretty linear

I preferred it over CW1526©: Yes

Faital Pro 15PR-400: deep bass with good punch, highly efficient, build quality is superb. looks humble

I also tried some BMS 15 inchers and I didn't like any of'em. Bob's CW1526C is a killer in it's price IMO. I would buy 5-6 more pairs if they would cost me 300USD/pr but they cost more than 600USD/pr for me so I prefer to use other products with higher price but they still cost me less due to easier shipping from Europe.

these are subjective comments from a probably biased listener and could be probably wrong.

Edited by Arash
  • Like 1

tx for the info - but are these available in 4 ohms as well or only 8 ohms -

BD15: top notch quality, deep bass in right Q box, reference upper bass, high efficiency, fast and devastatingly linear!

Faital Pro 15PR-400: deep bass with good punch, highly efficient, build quality is superb. looks humble

tx for the info - but are these available in 4 ohms as well or only 8 ohms -

BD16 I got from BD-design.nl is 16 Ohms If I'm not mistaken

15LX60V2s I got are 8 ohms and I have no idea there there is a 4 Ohms version of it

15PR-400 has both version 4 and 8 you can choose between

thanks for the info - as the klipsch drivers are 4ohms if I am not mistaken -

The Klipsch woofers in Belle, LaScala and Klipschorn are definitely 4 Ohm because since they are being used as a compression driver, the amp sees way more than a 4 Ohm load. Not for sure if the K-33e, etc. used in Cornwall are still 4 Ohm or not, but using an 8 Ohm woofer should not be a problem if the cross over is properly set up for it since you are not loading the woofer up so much.

Roger

The woofers in all the heritage series apart of the Heresy 1-2  are 4 ohms - the Cornwall -Scala -Belle-Khorn and Heresy 3 are 4ohms - 

Here below is a thread that dealt with the K33 - and is very detailed as Bob Crites had added some technical info -

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148475-k-33-e-vs-k-33-b-specs-anybody-have-factory-measured-ts-data/