Blowing Quintets - All (5) at once - TWICE!

Hoenig

Let me start by saying that I am 99% sure this is my fault. 

I have bought (2) full sets of Quintets. Both nights they blew, alcohol was involved. ----- I know, I should stop right there... :)

Here is my questions/concerns: When we have people over and the night gets later, I tend to crank it up - sometimes for hours. My receiver will overheat and will auto-shut off. I turn it back on, speakers play fine. After another shut off (or two) - I turn it back on and there is little noise coming out all 5 speakers. The first time this happened I thought I blew my receiver, that was not the case. I then bought 5 new Quintets and the weekend on NYE - same situation. Pioneer Elite got hot, shut down. When powered back up, speakers played fine. After about the 3rd4th shut off throughout the night, when powered back on - the speakers were barely audible. 

Am I really blowing all 5 speakers at the EXACT same time? This is the second time it has happened. 

Anything I should check so I limit my chances of this happening again?

I have a fan constantly on my VSX-94. Wondering why it is playing so hot but that is another topic. Before I go buy ANOTHER set of Quintets, just need to make sure you all haven't heard of something like this before.

Blowing all 5 speakers at once have anything to do with the overheat? Too much power? Source?

My source each time has been PS3 via HDMI (concert DVD's). 

Your comments are appreciated in advance. 

• Like 1

I would recommend buying some more powerful speakers in that case my friend.  Your best bet is to snoop around craigslist for some deals, and they are out there.  You could get a nice setup with bookshelf speakers for the price of new quintets, hell even floorstanders.  Best way to avoid it is to stop when it shuts off the first time, or get some speakers that'll get the job done.  IMO the quintets are not designed to power-head jam sessions.

Hope that helps.

In comparison, my receiver would peak before it started to put pressure on seven of my nine.  At 70% it'd put pressure on two, but I can't even stand the volume that high.

Edited by IbizaFlame

If you're going to play music like the big boys you need to buy big boy gear. it doesn't have to be expensive, but it does have to be proportional to your listening preferences. You might want to look into some older Klipsch pro gear, some of which has built in protection circuits for the tweeters.

• Like 1

The Quintets aren't designed for the listening profile you fit into is the point.  Most speakers the size of the quintets aren't.  At the very least you should be running bookshelf speakers out there then.  Synergy's would probably be fine, and they go for relatively cheap.

• Like 1

I was thinking brackets and Bookshelf speakers. I went with the Quintet's because I didn't want it to get "too" loud out there. I guess after two sets, I need to re-think things.  I appreciate the responses. 

Any value in the 8 satellites and 2 centers I have? I am not one to fix things. My handy man meter is about a 2.5 at best. Ebay?

For parts probably, I don't know the going rate for units as parts though as I usually don't deal them...that'd be a question for someone with more experience than I.

As for speakers, try looking for SB-1's 2's and 3's.  They're going at very reasonable prices.  Also maybe look at some of the smaller KG's too.

I was thinking brackets and Bookshelf speakers. I went with the Quintet's because I didn't want it to get "too" loud out there. I guess after two sets, I need to re-think things.  I appreciate the responses. 

Any value in the 8 satellites and 2 centers I have? I am not one to fix things. My handy man meter is about a 2.5 at best. Ebay?

Start out looking for 2 Heresys used.  More than likely you won't need any thing else.

First off, it has been a while since I logged in, and man it feels good to be back. I forgot about the quick responses and the action on here. Nice to see you can still post when in need - and have 10 responses within the hour.

As for the scraps - I can post them on the ol' EBAY. Not too worried about them. 

I only have 13" above one door (otherwise wide open).  I was thinking something like 4 of these (with a matching center or close). http://www.ebay.com/itm/281501689994?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I mean, I have a SVS sub out there and any bass below 120hz doesn't touch the actual speakers. I would have never thought I would be in this position, twice......

Right before xmas I picked up a used set of KG 2.5s for $50 and last summer a set of KG 1.5s for $30.  They absolutely rock in my garage.  Plus with the 2.5 you can lay them down and use brackets, plus they would fit in the 13" you have.  I highly recommend these for that purpose.  I make beer in my garage and spend some real quality time out there...

• Like 2

There are (3) KG 2.2's Black that are close to me for $100 - for all three. 

I might want to jump on these and wait for another to pop up. Thoughts on using 5 instead messing with a Center channel?

I typically listen to my sports or concerts/music in All Channel Stereo anyway.......... thoughts?