9 speakers is that to many if a avr is 9.2 and what about subs?

sully141

I was just wondering if 9 speakers is to many, and if a person did do that where would you put them if you had rf series. This is just a general question for everybody. And what about subs is 2 enough or do you go for 4 one in each corner? This is for basic HT that somebody might put in a room in a basement or even a livingroom. I know there's a lot that plays a factor but it seems like these are the most common. Thanks

• Like 1

For example.. I have a 9.5 x 25 room in the basement and if I would buy a projector and put my LCR and 2 svs nsd's behind the screen for a good start, but from there do I use my rb81's as front wide and use rs7's for surround back and sides for 9.2 or stick with 7.2 and put rb81's on the back wall and put rs7's for rear sides and have no wides. And if you can pick up 1 or 2 more subs do you put them in the back. Can a denon 4520 handle those for 9.2 or do you need external. LCR is a 64 and 83's.

What's more important side wides or front highs in 9.2. For front highs is rs7 or rb81's overkil.. and for sub position do you want them were they are in the pic or on the inside of the towers..

Edited by sully141

The above is my identical setup in my family room, except, I have 1 sub in the front and 1 in the rear.

My living room has 9.2 also, but I have a set of the heights, and a set of wides due to room configuration.

I am personally looking to do 4 subs in both rooms, but with your room it may not work as well unless you don't mind having the speakers a few feet behind you in the middle of the room for rear surrounds and the other 2 subs.

Most TV,and movies through cable are still 5.1, so the extra channels are only "enhancers" unless you use something like directv or vuduu which has a bunch of things in 7.1.

You can also experiment with speaker heights for rear surrounds and make sure the heights are at least 2 feet above the fronts to "fill in" the sound field. You'll definitely enjoy rear surround more on 7.1 recorded material.

The Guardians CGI movie is a perfect example with it's playback.

What's more important side wides or front highs in 9.2. For front highs is rs7 or rb81's overkil.. and for sub position do you want them were they are in the pic or on the inside of the towers..

Depends on the movie track, stuff flying above will sound better with heights, and stuff coming from either side of the screen will sound better on wides. I do both on one set up.

On my Yamaha receiver,the fronts are "effects" only, they don't have a designation like the Denon does, but on my Yamaha it helps raise the voice up the screen to give it the illusion it's coming from the middle of the screen and therefore coming directly from the mouth of the person speaking. At least that's what they state. I don't see to much of a difference on it though.

which BB Klipsch are you talking about, and what "series" Klipsch are you using?

Sorry,just saw  it again. 

The new Klispch series are not real Reference speakers,they are the ICON, Synergy Line. Go with the RS-7 and use them as side surrounds if possible with the other bookshelf speakers you have as rear surround.

Also, if you are talking 4 feet from the rear, do you mean the wall where the speakers will be, or just from the speakers?

If you are in a 9' wide room,I'd move closer for my seating position. I am in a 14x24 room and my seating area is 12 feet from the L/C/R with my L/R being 7 feet apart and toed in to my area and I'm trying to figure on how to move a little closer due to the size of my furniture. My side surrounds are about 2 feet above my ears and facing directly in to my area.

Edited by Jim

for sub position do you want them were they are in the pic or on the inside of the towers..

For the best response, one in the middle of each wall is supposedly best. For music I like them up front. For super low LFE I like them behind me.

for sub position do you want them were they are in the pic or on the inside of the towers..

For the best response, one in the middle of each wall is supposedly best. For music I like them up front. For super low LFE I like them behind me.

Do you put both of them behind you if you only has 2.

which BB Klipsch are you talking about, and what "series" Klipsch are you using?

Sorry,just saw  it again. 

The new Klispch series are not real Reference speakers,they are the ICON, Synergy Line. Go with the RS-7 and use them as side surrounds if possible with the other bookshelf speakers you have as rear surround.

Also, if you are talking 4 feet from the rear, do you mean the wall where the speakers will be, or just from the speakers?

If you are in a 9' wide room,I'd move closer for my seating position. I am in a 14x24 room and my seating area is 12 feet from the L/C/R with my L/R being 7 feet apart and toed in to my area and I'm trying to figure on how to move a little closer due to the size of my furniture. My side surrounds are about 2 feet above my ears and facing directly in to my area.

I have 7.2 but the icon vb15 would make it 9.2 and I didn't know if those would be good enough for highs and just use the 81's for back and the rs7's for rear sides.

I ddecided I want to make the basement work I just haven't started yet cuz I need to pick out a projector and customize a empty brick room.

I would use the 83's as L/R, 64 as center, 81's as rear surrounds, s-7's as side surrounds, and the vb's as heights. The 81's will give better bass response in absence of the extra subs.

The VB's don't have the same type of drivers or tweeters, but for effects it's not as bad as if it were the 3 main across the front.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

I use RB-5s as current front height channels and have used RB-75s in the past. Totally overkill for the content, but its more about timbre match to me, that is important.

The 75s still hold their own on surround content with my current KPT stuff. That is why they are still in operation.