Got Speeding Tickets?

The History Kid

I was stopped going significantly over the speed limit in Pennsylvania a few years ago. I was living in the State then. The State Trooper asked if I was a lawyer (there was a law school decal in the window). When I said yes, he went back to his car, wrote the ticket, and came back. He looked at me and said "You have just made me the most popular guy in the squad room" and got back in his car and drove away. When I walked into court several weeks later for the hearing, both he and the judge broke out in convulsive laughter. The ticket was reduced to failing to observe a traffic sign. Glad I could spread so much joy.

Drummer introduced me to a guy named Captain Beefheart … what a trip that dude was. I could listen to his stories all night. He partied at my brother’s house. He actually made a music video probably 10 years before MTV. Sadly, the Captain died a few years ago

Ho Ho Ho Hi Hi Hi   Upon the My Oh MY.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6fCOGyVJg

I got my one and only ticket in Dallas...1985...on 635 getting on Central xway North. I was doin 9 over the limit and being overrun, I ask why me? He said I was the easiest to get too, it got thrown out. 

i liked the Old Grey Whistle Test.

I liked it also BUT that's one strange dude !  :unsure:

Man could I tell you a few stories … and you guys thought I was crazy.  Last time i saw him was at a 7-11 convenience store--he was a lover of ice cream and was buying an ice cream.  He was preparing to leave town and move up North--which he did.  i never saw him again. 

Edited by BigStewMan

I agree the Captain looks pretty far out now, but back in the day that was pretty normal. I'd love to hear those stories someday. Full Moon Hot Sun!

well it’ll have to be in person -- out of respect, not things i’d want to share on a public forum.  You know, once upon a time, Ry Cooder played in his band.  

Edited by BigStewMan

Fish--you’re one of the few that i encounter that are familiar with the Captain.  

Quite the poet -- scares me a little that i actually understand a lot of this one … can really mess with your mind trying to figure it out -- you just gotta listen and it becomes clear…about the 81st time.  Dtel will grasp this … he’s a moderator.

Speeding Tickets?  More then I can remember.

I do remember out with a couple friends and we met a cop, and did not know it.  Friend says John there's ah.  

And by then we were around the car and own our way.  Up the road about 1/2 mile I pulled off onto a dirt road to take a leak.  Got out of the car and cop pulls in about 100 ft behind me.  He's outside his car using door for a rest for his pistol.  Kinda made me a little nervous.  He tells me to get back in the car.  Still had to go to the bathroom.  Another car pulls up.  So I have 2 cops determine that I was not the escaped fugitive they thought I might be.  They had all three of us get out while one kept his gun on us.

Anyhow they argued about whether to arrest me, or go eat dinner.  Glad they were hungry.  Got off with a reckless driving ticket.

Cop said he was doing 130mph and I was pulling away from him.  BULL.   Judge bought it and I paid the fine.

Going snow skiing and my radar detector went off.  I got it slowed down to 95 mph,  In a School Zone, about 0600 in the morning.  I tried to talk my way out of it.  But he just kept saying I was lucky I was not going to Jail.     Never did figure out when they put that school there.  I'd never noticed it before.  Just sent the money in on that one

Didn't get a ticket one night when leaving Dad's for the 100 mile trip home.  Doing around a hundred when I met a cop and seen his brake light come on.  I'm in the throttle  so I can turn off the road before he could see I had turned off.  Well I made it back to Dad's and hung around for another hour.    Dad said if they stopped me he would swear in court I had just left his house, giving the time I left for the second time.

Got a warning for defective emergency brake.  Didn't have all the parts to make it work.  See the state patrol officers having lunch.  Went home a few blocks away and tightened up my brakes where it didn't move so well.  Went back and parked beside the patrol cars.  Officers came out and I asked one if he would sign off on my warning.  E-brake was plenty tight so he signed off on it.  I drove with no e brake for years. 

I never did run them when they had the lights on.  At least not if I could see them.  Been a few times I think they may of turned on their overheads but didn't stick around to find out.

Edited by Taz
  • Like 1

Last one I got was on the way to Florida, but in a town where one of my good friends from the Nat'l Guard was a Peace Officer.

Called him from the Condo.

He sez "Were you cool with the Officer?"

I sez "I'm always cool with Officers; 'cause if you're not, & and he's having a bad day, you're going to jail."

He's sez, "OK..."

Edited by Sancho Panza
  • Like 3