Newbie To Digital - Need Help With What To Buy

tlarwa

And I mean TOTAL newbie ... other than owning a CD player and an iPhone, I have never swam in the digital music waters.  Now if you want to discuss tubes and vinyl ... I'm your guy!

Here's what I want to do ... play music from my iPad (32g v4, I believe w/ 30 pin connector) or iPhone 6, and play some of the CD's I still have kicking around that I can't get on vinyl.  I have a really crappy CD/DVD player (Sony somethingorother DVD), so I am not opposed to replacing it.  It has analog, optical and coaxial outputs, and it spins fine, however.  A bonus would be the ability to connect a laptop on occassion.  You never know ... Here's what I was thinking:

1) CD player with iDevice capability.  Examples are the Marantz CD6005 and the Yamaha CD-S300.  Relatively cheap, but I can't confirm they are compatible with the iPhone 6 (i.e. lightning connector).  This option wouldn't allow me to use a laptop.

2) Peachtree iDAC (or something similar).  Basically a DAC with an iDevice dock built in.  Seems like it could me a good solution.  But I'd probably want a new CD transport if I go this route, right?

3) Full-on DAC.  I assume I'd want one with coaxial, optical and USB capability, correct?  Again, I'd likely want a new CD transport, plus I'd have to but a dock of some sort for my iDevices.  The other option here is the Maverick D1+, which will allow use of an iDevice without a dock.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, as I know I'll be listeing to vinyl 90% of the time.  Let's figure a budget of $500, on the used market.  I don't buy anything audio equipment new unless I have to!  Any suggestions as to the best route to take, as well as specific "best value for the money" suggestions are appreciated!

Tom

Edited by tlarwa

Go Marantz, you won't be wronged. I wouldn't rely on the CD player for something to play back your music, you should let a DAC or an amp handle that. iFi Micro's seem to be fairly popular and relatively reasonable in pricetag. I've seen a lot of raving reviews about it. Even still there though, what amplifier do you plan on using? If you don't have one in mind, I'd suggest just searching for a reasonably priced 2 channel amp on CL. If you aren't striving for video, 2 channel will be your best option, and you can't beat used.

I'm set on other equipment ... I'm running a hand-built SET tube amp into my Super Pensils, and gainclone monoblocks into my Forte II's.  All through my Bottlehead Smash preamp.  Vinyl front end is handles by my Marantz TT15S1 turntable and modded Jolida JD9 phono preamp.  Guess I should update my user profile :lol:

Thaddeus Smith is who I'd hit up for questions. There are others also like Joesportster that have a lot more knowledge than I do.

I can tell you what I started doing, but I'm also still tweaking things.

I took my laptop and turned it into a music server as others have also done. I bought a USB DAC with component outs and have been uploading my cd's lossless onto my computer and transferring them to an external hard drive. I then hooked the DAC into a tube amp and have it powering a 2 channel set up. 

There are several music players besides Itunes, Windows Media Player that may do a better job for you. JRiver is highly recommended as well as Foobar2000. I am playing with both to see which I like better. Both outperform Windows Media on sound quality and can play higher resolutions and media files. Windows Media doesn't do AIFF or FLAC,and depending on the player you decide to use, need to make sure the files aren't wma as the player won't pick them up.

I personally like the setup with my computer being output to the amp through the DAC better than running through my AVR. It seems to me anyway, the sound quality degrades a little through teh AVR and with it directly through the amp opens up the sound stage.

• Like 1

Where to begin... there is a bit to learn and experience to get to levels where critical listening can be truely enjoyed to the point where it is pushing straight analog to the wayside.

I wish you could hear what I hear... here. My digital section is so good it really is scary how realistic even a compressed cd can sound. Vinyl still holds an edge, but only against a regular cd (not dvda or bluray audio) and only by the slightest of margins mainly in the low frequencies.

Don't use optical because it introduces jitter... coax or hdmi are best pre dac... balance or unbalanced post.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

I purchased a cheap mini Acer laptop to make into a dedicated music server (but you can use any cheap/used/outdated laptop for this).  Then connected a 2TB portable external drive to hold lossless music in FLAC format (24bit HD format downloads and uploaded CDs of my favorite artists...a continuing process).  I use Foobar 2000 as my player (works great, is easy to tailor after a short learning curve, plays HD files, can be used to convert between formats, etc. and is free to download).  I run this via HDMI cable into my preamp (Outlaw Audio 975 with a good DAC), and then out to my McIntosh amp/Klipsch Heritage speakers.  Sounds great.  The HD music is pretty much equal to my vinyl versions of the same without the clicks and pops.  :) 

Sounds like the PC/HDD route is the way to go.  I would still like to be able to use my iDevices as well, though.  So for clarification, what's the best connection from the computer to the DAC, USB or HDMI?  And if I went this route, I assume I'd need a dock for my iDevices and a DAC that has another input that would accept the dock, correct?  I assume this would be coax or optical?  Any recommendations on a good, budget DAC that would handle this set-up?

If I were you (I also run SET amps), I'd pick up a Squeezebox Touch on e-bay and go from there. Assuming you have a home network to connect it to, you'll be set for a long time. After you learn from this, you can tweak. I still run 4 Squeezebox touches and no one yet has shown me a better digital solution.

Sounds like the PC/HDD route is the way to go.  I would still like to be able to use my iDevices as well, though.  So for clarification, what's the best connection from the computer to the DAC, USB or HDMI?  And if I went this route, I assume I'd need a dock for my iDevices and a DAC that has another input that would accept the dock, correct?  I assume this would be coax or optical?  Any recommendations on a good, budget DAC that would handle this set-up?

while its the connection of choice when talking about HDD to DAC, usb requires a specialized circuit in the dac, choose wisely...

Player to Dac, I would still choose coax.

Edited by Schu

For someone starting out fresh.. computer + JRiver Media Center + USB DAC, and call it a day.

The Logitech Squeezebox line reached EOL a couple of years ago and is not user friendly if you're completely new to all of this.

Ideally you should not use a USB hard drive and a USB DAC, but you can worry about that later.

Right now, you need to focus on getting comfortable with software, basic hardware concepts, and the myriad of music formats available for playback. Oh and actually listening to your music.

From there, you can research hardware and music formats and should have enough listening experience with your new setup to know if you hear an actual difference with anything you change.

• Like 1

For someone starting out fresh.. computer + JRiver Media Center + USB DAC, and call it a day.

That seems simple enough.  Again, I'd like to get a DAC that has USB as well as an input to use my iDevices, either directly (like the Arcam irDAC) or through a dock.  Any reccomendations on an affordable DAC that will do this?  And as far as a laptop goes, as long as it works and has the ability to connect a USB hard drive I should be okay, right?

DAC's typically don't have that. mobile device (iOS specifically) connectivity starts to fall into the territory of "network streamers", some of which have USB connectivity for adding in a PC. Those tend to be more expensive than a stand alone DAC.

You can connect your iOS devices physically to a DAC using the Apple "camera connection kit" which is basically a USB adapter meant for cameras, but has also been found to support audio transport. Not all DAC's are supported, however, especially if they don't have an external power supply.

To get something that sports every type of connectivity you will need to: a) spend a lot of cash or B) put together a system with custom hardware and software.

Otherwise it looks like any of the items you listed in your original post will be sufficient as long as you're willing to sacrifice one type of connectivity for another.

Yeah, I'm not going the AVR route.  Either I'll pick up one of the IPod compatible DAC's (like the Arcam I mentioned or the Peachtree iDAC) or I'll buy a dock like the Pure i20 and connect it to the coax input.  That would be cheap enough at $65 or so for the dock.  I'd still like a recommendation on a good performing DAC that won't break the bank, or that is typically available on the used market. 

i take that back..

the oppo BDP-105 might suit your needs if you can swing the cash. It's a top notch bluray player, CD/SACD player, can play music from a hard drive, has standard streaming services like pandora, a local NAS, and does function as a DAC so that you could connect a computer or possibly your iOS devices via USB.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105-Overview.aspx

If I go the PC/HDD route I won't bother with a CDP, since I don't have that many redbook CD's that I'd have to rip.  I'd stick with a straight DAC, and a dock of some sort.  And yeah, I saw the DAC IT for $299.  I'm tempted on that one.  I have an Apple TV hooked up to my home theater set-up upstairs, so I could probably use that to access the files on my iPhone or iPad.  That might be a winner!