Newbie To Digital - Need Help With What To Buy

tlarwa

The Logitech Squeezebox line reached EOL a couple of years ago and is not user friendly if you're completely new to all of this.

The manufacturer quit selling Squeezeboxes, but if EOL means 'End of Life' that implies that they will no longer work.

Also if that is the case my entire Audio System is EOL.... I've got Tubes in my SET amps that are working just fine that reached 'EOL' in 1938.

And the Squeezebox is very user friendly and is how many people got started in digital audio!

I would be thinking about a DAC that also has analog inputs.  You can get from your ipad or iphone easily with a FiiO device.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L11-Connector-Charge-iPhone/dp/B008EKON56

And then connect the FiiO to the analog inputs on the DAC with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Male-2-Male-Adapter/dp/B004YEBK66

Grant Fidelity Dac-09 has analog inputs and is a nice (and cheap) tube DAC.  I use one in the bedroom with 3 inputs... toslink from the TV, USB from the computer and RCA to the FiiO device.

The new Grant Fidelity model is Dac-11 and runs $325.  There are other DACs that would suit you but this one is pretty multi-purpose.  It can be used as a pre but the attenuator can also be disabled if you want.

EOL in my industry means no longer manufactured and no longer supported by the manufacturer. Functionality has been taken over by volunteers and support for modern streaming services is sometimes sketchy. And you need to have a secondary computer to run as a squeezebox server in order to stream your local music and services to the device.

It was revolutionary in it's time, but it's a bit long in the tooth these days, which is why I said it's a great solution for people already familiar with the platform, but not something I would recommend for people jumping fresh into the computer based audio world.

I love the Squeezebox Touch as well and I thought my family would love how easy it is... They don't seem to want to touch it though.  Losing MOG really sucked!   I'll have to find something else that works for streaming.  Works great with my local library though!

that's the beauty of Apple products and Airplay. Get a device that supports airplay and suddenly you can stream any music service for which there is an iOS app (which is basically all of them) at 16/48 quality .. all wirelessly.

I can stream pandora, tunein radio, spotify (past), tidal (past), songza, noon pacific, and on and on and on...

EOL in my industry means no longer manufactured and no longer supported by the manufacturer. Functionality has been taken over by volunteers and support for modern streaming services is sometimes sketchy. And you need to have a secondary computer to run as a squeezebox server in order to stream your local music and services to the device.

It was revolutionary in it's time, but it's a bit long in the tooth these days, which is why I said it's a great solution for people already familiar with the platform, but not something I would recommend for people jumping fresh into the computer based audio world.

They will work as long as they work.  The server software can run on any PC you have (doesn't eat up many resources) that has your library.  Also, can put your library on a USB drive and connect directly to the touch but I've never bothered with that.

I do not understand why this interface didn't catch on more except that maybe people just want to do everything with their smartphones.

Have you forgotten already?

The problem with CD’s is that you cannot reasonably carry your entire collection or expect to have a suitable player wherever you go. Computer based music erases those limitations and can be played on your phone, a TV, your laptop, your home theater, your whole-house audio system, or even that meticulously assembled 2-channel system.

Streaming is for background music and it is also how I find stuff to buy.  Great for finding new artists or (more often) old artists I have never heard before!

I don't like sitting and listening to streaming music for very long.  My entire library is pretty much available on any system in my house.

24/192?  Just a few... I have found that so far I can't hear the difference between that and 24/96 so I save my money on the difference.  Also, some recordings (or performances) are just not good enough to waste the cash on high resolution.  

Streaming is for background music and it is also how I find stuff to buy.  Great for finding new artists or (more often) old artists I have never heard before! I don't like sitting and listening to streaming music for very long.  My entire library is pretty much available on any system in my house.

This is my exact approach.

i take that back..

the oppo BDP-105 might suit your needs if you can swing the cash. It's a top notch bluray player, CD/SACD player, can play music from a hard drive, has standard streaming services like pandora, a local NAS, and does function as a DAC so that you could connect a computer or possibly your iOS devices via USB.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105-Overview.aspx

The BD-103 does all the same things at half the price of the 105 too I think. 

I absolutely love having high quality music on my computer, and especially a growing collection of HD versions of my favorite artists.  Also, I have a Motorola Droid phone and use Poweramp on it which plays my FLAC files.  I've totally given up lossy MP3 listening on any device and have never liked the streaming services because of their limited quality.  Sounds like maybe their quality is improving though?

I thought so as well, but I couldn't find the reference to using it as a DAC. It's very clearly highlighted on the 105.

I'll check it out on mine and report back.  I know I have USB and HDMI inputs on it.

Edited by TJIann

For some reason, the bug for this business has not bitten me yet. What's the main attraction for those deeply involved? I thought the streaming music was like MP3s. No? Is it something to do with convenience? Do you have libraries filled with 24/192 music on a disk? Just wondering how things are transitioning, because clearly this is the future.

Mark,

I have all of my 5,000 CDs ripped to Disk. I can find an Album now in seconds without leaving the listening position. I can queue up single tracks from multiple albums. I never 'lose' music any more. I have not put a CD in for over 4 years.

As far as streaming, I subscribe to Spotify Premium for $10 a month. It is a very high quality MP3 at 320kbps. I have had numerous audiophiles over to my place and they could not tell the difference with CD quality. This is a hotly debated topic, but most agree that they had to 'strain' to hear a difference and often got it wrong. Forget Pandora though as it is 128kbps and the differences are very obvious. Not all MP3s are the same!

The Big advantage to streaming is I now have over 25 million tracks in my library. I can usually find the requested album if someone comes over. When I find a track I like, I can select 'Play other tracks like it'.... I just sit back and let the streaming service introduce me to new music. When I find something I like, I save it as a 'Favorite'. I could never go back to loading a CD or Album and hit Play.

• Like 1

The Big advantage to streaming is I now have over 25 million tracks in my library.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Yes, I understand. I've been asking about these things in another thread also, and I am trying to figure out why this isn't as appealing to me. It seems like a no brainer.

I don't think you're stuck in your way and you don't strike me as a luddite. You've simplified your systems and listening habits, having experienced a vast amount of equipment and music over the years. maybe diving into computer based audio just seems like an unnecessary journey for you?

i had my tapes and CD's in the early 90's, but i grew up with computers, was an early adopter of mp3's and napster, and have always had computer based media in my systems as technologies have progressed throughout my adulthood. My careers has been centered around IT and computers. For me, it's as natural as tubes and circuits are to you. I've had the tactile experience of vinyl and I know that such systems have their merits, but the thought of investing in the infrastructure and acquiring the music in the medium is equally unappealing to me.

For some reason, the bug for this business has not bitten me yet. What's the main attraction for those deeply involved? I thought the streaming music was like MP3s. No? Is it something to do with convenience? Do you have libraries filled with 24/192 music on a disk? Just wondering how things are transitioning, because clearly this is the future.

Mark,

I have all of my 5,000 CDs ripped to Disk. I can find an Album now in seconds without leaving the listening position. I can queue up single tracks from multiple albums. I never 'lose' music any more. I have not put a CD in for over 4 years.

As far as streaming, I subscribe to Spotify Premium for $10 a month. It is a very high quality MP3 at 320kbps. I have had numerous audiophiles over to my place and they could not tell the difference with CD quality. This is a hotly debated topic, but most agree that they had to 'strain' to hear a difference and often got it wrong. Forget Pandora though as it is 128kbps and the differences are very obvious. Not all MP3s are the same!

The Big advantage to streaming is I now have over 25 million tracks in my library. I can usually find the requested album if someone comes over. When I find a track I like, I can select 'Play other tracks like it'.... I just sit back and let the streaming service introduce me to new music. When I find something I like, I save it as a 'Favorite'. I could never go back to loading a CD or Album and hit Play.

question about the premium spotify service

If I want a particular song / album can I search that on spotify premium and play that ?? 

Pandora allows you to choose a genre, or an artist and then plays music within that genre, pandora will not allow you to pick individual tracks in my experience