HD from Broadcast...WOW

Mallette

Which Mohu?  User satisfaction is 4.5 stars with the Mohu 50 amplifed.  A couple of folks said they were unhappy until they ensured the cable was at the bottom.  Not sure why that would matter, but several report that it does.

Dave

Hey, Dave . . .

I tried the Mohu 50 amplified indoor and only got one fuzzy channel.. I bought the outdoor in the link I posted (for less) and got over 20 clear channels.

But, to be fair, I am 40 miles and hills and hollers away from the HD channels in Atlanta. And, I have HDTVs all over the house and needed a one antenna solution for all of them. The Mohu is basically one antenna for each TV. So for less than one Mohu 50 I got the one antenna which serves 5 TVs in the house (I could do 8 in my current setup, or do 2 HD FM channels or stream OTA to a server too to record).

To be fair, I gave the Mohu to my daughter who lives in downtown Atlanta and only has one HDTV and it worked great for her since she is only 5 miles from most of the major broadcast antennas.

Billy

I was listening to that public radio station that was supposed to be in HD all day yesterday. Although I enjoyed the station, it was not being broadcast in HD as indicated on the HD station lookup website.

As a crow flies, there isn't an HD station within 90 miles.   :(

From what I know of the specs that is hard to imagine.

Dave

Didn't listen to the specs.

Beaumont had a station or two that broadcast HD also.  The Sony tuner I had was modded so that the HD reception of could be switched back to a normal broadcast if so desired.  Fringe stations would go back and forth between HD and normal and would become unlistenable so the switch was provided.  The difference between the two types of broadcasts was more than subtle to my ears with HD always being the preferred method of listening. 

I am with Carl 100% here, even in this Podunk town the HD FM station on my Sony XDR-F1HD was vastly superior in quality; more so than MP3 vs loseless

and yes, I know that this thread was about television HD over the air :)

Not to brag, but yes, I've known this for years. And still have a large Winegard antenna on the roof. My younger neighbors think I'm just an old fogy and surprised I still use it. It will do HD & I still use it for FM. The only problem for me is I'm near O'Hare airport and (triangulated) between two large TV/radio transmission towers a couple miles away. Sometimes the air traffic and weather can cause reception problems as it always can with OTA. And that's why I put up with the cable fees. Also because I need the high-speed internet service and certain business news channels for my work. But yes, regular old fashioned OTA can be great.

Figured it out, Carl.  FM is superior on paper...but it requires a LOT of effort and expertise to get it right.  KUHA has and extraordinary signal, as most classical stations do.  Same for UNTs KNTU jazz station.

My own household FM transmitter doing nothing but modulating an analog audio signal to RF, also does an incredibly good job.  Hybrid Digital doesn't need all that attention, being basically an ADAC. 

Dave

So what antenna do I need to do this with a projector setup?  Went to Best Buy last night, they don't carry anything with a built in tuner and an HDMI output.  I was surprised.  

edit: nevermind, Channel Master CM-7001.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=050-008E-00003&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Video+Devices+%26+TV+Tuners-_-050-008E-00003&gclid=CjwKEAiAxsymBRCegqiLzI7Q1S8SJADOgQrz8rXOsAI1EyzC-NF3Zql8VI6ZhBIk0ZR3qJeh6gP8dBoCxzjw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters