you know it's loud when ....

michael hurd

You're playing bloody well right by supertramp at +2db into clipping at 7:30 pm and the neighbours across the street poke their heads out of their porch with coffee cups in their hands, wondering if their is a free concert going on in the local park... heheheheh.... I love my klipsch rf3II !

I recently had a neighbour 1/2 block away playing electric guitar riffs in accompianment to a couple of Leonard Cohen CD's. 8~0>

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

If your wife is right next to you, and you can't hear a word she's saying, it's not because you are ignoring her - it's because of the CornwallsSmile.gif

My old friend has a stack of letters to the local police department, written by local residents where he used to live (they gave my friend copies when they served the complaint for disturbing the peace). Each is a letter from a neighbor, saying such things as "I can hear it three blocks away", "It drives my dog crazy" and "I didn't know the city of Elgin opened an amphitheater".

You really could hear those Cornwalls three blocks away! That is why I'm a Klipsch owner!

Yes, Klipsch can get you arrestedcwm37.gif Especially when the cop recognizes the house and the situation with the Klipsch as "familiar"cwm45.gif

Please do watch your hearing though - losing that would be, well....serious.

I've got an 8 acre property just outside of Toronto, and my neighbours kids have dirt bikes, pretty loud.

Decided to get back at them one day, hehehe...

Put the La Scalas on the deck, aimed towards there house, put on AC/DC thunderstruck an turned the HK up to -1db, and let er rip, payback's a *****.....LOL

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

"Put the La Scalas on the deck, aimed towards there house, put on AC/DC thunderstruck an turned the HK up to -1db, and let er rip, payback's a *****.....LOL"

LOL sure is

Those LaScala sure project sound in ways only large full horn loaded can.

This reminds me when two latge VOT's were used at a party a few good years ago.WHEW I was 40 meters from the speakers and stll it was loud and clear.

Nothing beats a full horn loaded system outside.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Dome tweeters sux!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

I got a ticket for noise disturbance and am making amends with the neighbor. This Klipsch/JBL thing is dangerous. Hope to play loud again soon...even if just on weekends...

------------------

Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.0

Phono Preamp - Parasound PPH-100

Receiver - H/K AVR-210

DVD - Sony DVP-S360

TV - RCA 31"

Mains - KLF-20

Center - KLF-C7

Surrounds - Optimus Pro LX-10

Sub - Yamaha YST-SW160

Reinforcement - JBL 4638

KRB - that could be someone's signature hehehe!

space_cowboy - There's no doubt that Klipsch/JBL can be a detriment to your relationship with the neighbors - and I've got 2 of those 4638's. I almost soiled my own shorts last night with "Eagles - Hell Freezes Over". Bass is especially ripping on DTS material - not good for the structural integrity of your dwelling. It's Hammer TimeSmile.gif

I am very aware of just how far that JBL woofage travels. I have stood outside my house to find out. Star Wars: Episode One - pod race scene sounds like an earthquake outside. If you can feel it against the chest, your neighbors next door might be alsocwm37.gif

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Klipsch can get you arrested (I've seen it happen). Klipsch (and JBL pro for that matter) is not, I repeat, not recommended for apartment dwellers.

dndphishin:

.DAMN STRAIT!!! I am fortunate enough to only have one neighbor (the other are a couple humdred feet away, enough), have a TON of wind, have well insulated, double pained homes around, and have neighbors that WOULDN'T call the cops on me.

I know I can crank my system, and only do it during the daytime (11 AM - 5 PM.) I have not had anyone complain, and knowing my neighbors, they would want a demo!!! Smile.gif And I would oblige!

space_cowboy:

Tell me about the ticket? Why haven't you tried to kill your neighbors or burn them to the ground? How did they get evidence that you played music too loud?

As for apartment dwellers, stick to the RB-3's with NO subs!!!

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

LMAO!!!

Don't remind me. Actually, I take VERY good care of my ears, just listen loud for short periods at mostly low levels.

Then again, the horn drivers on my JBL's are only 3/8"...

------------------

Ken,

When I moved into my house a few months ago, I got really crazy too late at night playing DVD's; figured, heck, I'm in a house now, who cares. Well, my neighbors boyfriend said she has migraines and problems sleeping (oh, boo hoo, playing small violin). They asked me once about it, then it was Juan Law at the door a couple of times, then I got hit with the ticket. Haven't played a DVD in two months now, but still listen to 2 channel. Technically, I can't receive another complaint for another month. Am currently in negotiation with her (via boyfriend) and we should come to an agreement soon. BTW, if your ever down this way I'll show you where she lives...hehehe

------------------

Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.0

Phono Preamp - Parasound PPH-100

Receiver - H/K AVR-210

DVD - Sony DVP-S360

TV - RCA 31"

Mains - KLF-20

Center - KLF-C7

Surrounds - Optimus Pro LX-10

Sub - Yamaha YST-SW160

Reinforcement - JBL 4638

I got the cops called on me once because sombody thought I was playing my freaking ProMedia V2.400s too loud one night of all things. The way I had LotR cranked up last night, it is amazing that nobody bitched to me about that. Then again, there was some @$$hole down the street three houses blasting that <c>rap music on his little tonka truck stereo. That stereo of his must really suck too, all bass and no quality. Made me feel good to crank up some serious thunderous bass through my much superior Klipsch setup Smile.gif

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

...when the sound disables your vision and you literally cannot SEE straight....I put the new Rush CD on, cranked the Yamaha up 'bout halfway, and everything looked blurred.....either my eyeballs were vibrating or my brain/optic nerve and its associated synapses, I haven't figured out which yet...

Another indicator of TOO LOUD is when your ears start ringing all the time. Which is what mine do (read: hearing damage). But they were ringing long before I got my K-Horns. I imagine the K-Horns will probably finish the job, though. For anyone else out there with irreversible hearing loss, ginko biloba is good for the ear ringing (tinnitus)...it attenuates it somewhat and most of time I never even notice it (unless I think about it).

cwm35.gif

------------------

32" Hi-scan Sony WEGA

Amp: Yamaha DSPA1

Mains: '99 K-horns

Center: KLF-C7 & JBL S- Center

Front Effects: KSP-S6s

Rear Surrounds: KLF-30s

Sub: KSW-15

DVD: Pioneer DV-114

MD: Sony Mini-Disc

Recorder (Walkman)

VCR: JVC S-VHS

I really do watch the levels whether listening to music or working with power tools. The odd time, I may really turn it up to enjoy a song or two, but especially not for extended periods of time. I realize what can happen when you don't excercise proper hearing protection as my parents are near deaf. Speaking of loud, has anyone ever attended drag races ? I have stood next to top fuel dragsters warming up in the pits, and let me tell you , even with earplugs, the thunder coming out of those 6000 + horsepower nitro burning monsters is still way too loud. When they are making a pass down the 1320, you can't focus and your chest wall vibrates. It is almost a feeling of euphoria, and you feel really calm , almost sedate. That is the LOUDEST thing that I have ever experienced. One word of caution, if you go into the pits, stay far away from the fuel smoke clouds coming out of the engine. As everyone was backing out of the way, I moved to within 10 feet of the dragster. Let me tell you, it's not a good sign when the driver and all the crew were wearing full air supplied respirators near the car, even with a 48 " belt driven fan was pushing the fumes out from under the canopy on the side of the trailer. The effects weren't noticable for about a minute, but first my eyes started burning, my throat started buring and the inside of my nose felt like it was on fire. Trying to run back through the crowds, out into fresh air wasn't fun when you can't see or breathe. My eyes continued to water for the next half hour as I slowly started feeling better. I will never forget that awfull taste of nitromethane.

michael hurd: You da man! Your last post could have been me talking!

For me:

With power tools, I have a box of 2000/pr. of ear plugs and use them liberally.

With music, I will crank a few of my favorite songs to the max occasionally. I think you can listen to 115 dB. music for 15 minuites every 24 hours. For me, its like 15 minuites every week at 105 dB. I am safe. It never gets my ears ringing.

CARS!!! I was at the drag races today (back stage passes Smile.gif ) and there were mostly old cars with BIG *** V8's running a 4" pipe from each cylinder (certainly NOT street legal at ALL.) Loud, how about getting your lungs played like a f'ing kick drum, and thats 300 feet from the cars, 50 feet in the air!!! The whole grand stand shook!!! Soooo incredibly cool, though Smile.gif Mmmmmmmmm, power......

Yeah, some of the Nitrus stuff can be nasty. You learned your lesson. I got to breath uber tire smoke today, not fin, considering it was 100 degrees to boot... But, it adds to big, powerful cars going fast.

------------------

Ginko Biloba good for tinnitus? Interesting, never heard of that. A Colt .45 was discharged close to my right ear, nasty tinnitus ever since, over 20 years now. That is the first time I've even seen a claim that something could relieve tinnitus. Google and drugstore, here I come.

Tom

I rattled my windows downstairs once... with PM5.1's. I can't wait to get the KG's hooked up with maybe an SVS? I hope, I hope, I hope. Smile.gif

BTW, while on the topic of loud gun discharges, we went shooting without ear plugs, using a 9mm and a .357. Shot about 200 rounds or so in each... I could not hear anything for about 3 days. But it came back to me. Smile.gif SO now I torture my ears with loud music. lol

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>