Global Warming. Is the hype coming to an end?

Guest Steven1963

This morning's story in the local paper:  Ford establishing a center in Silicon Valley to catch up on autonomous technology. 

Dave

Probably off-topic from replacing a person driving perspective, but could be on topic from an automation perspective. 

I just read an article where Ram Charan, an executive coach who has advised CEOs at the Bank of America Corp and General Electric Co, speaking to CIOs, stated that "the companies that stand the best chance of success in a world where rapid technological changes alter business models are those that can best capture human decision-making in code." 

In some respects, it looks like we will be able to replace another layer of middle management with computer code; however, I'm now wondering how the code will differentiate between good decision-making and bad decision-making? 

Edited by Fjd

Dave,

What is your actual prediction about autonomous cars?

Minimum of freeways with autonomous-only lanes within a decade.  Trucks sooner.  Uber model in place in most cities.  Calls for banning of manual control and elimination of signals, speed limits, and other traffic controls. 

I am beginning to think that conservative, but will stick with it at the moment. 

Dave

Longer than I would like.  I realize that due to the value I put on my family (myself as well) that adjustments will need to be made to afford one at the expense of other things.  Rationality dictates it.  Early programming will have to deal with the chaos systems that our freeways and streets currently represent.  They'll need to be able to calculate maximum survivability scenarios no human could possibly determine when there is no other choice...and I'll bet they'll be damnably good at it. 

Once the roads are free of such variables the programs will rarely need these algorithms. 

Some concern about hacking.  Little doubt there will be an e-stop for worst case situations, and an isolation button to shut off internet connections in case of such things.  Compared to current risks, these will be miniscule.

Dave

Some concern about hacking. Little doubt there will be an e-stop for worst case situations, and an isolation button to shut off internet connections in case of such things. Compared to current risks, these will be miniscule.

Whatever man creates, man can hack.  This would be a terrorists dream come true.

This would be a terrorists dream come true

IMHO, Houston freeways are a terrorists dream come true right now.  Even at my level I can find ways to make such hacks impossible to foil, both automatically as well as manually.  I hope you realize that far more critical systems have faced this threat for years and effective defenses devised.

Fear of the bogeyman isn't going to slow it down. 

Dave

I still think it's naïve to think that anything internet based or interfaced can't be hacked

That hasn't been questioned.  What I said was defense was possible and that the risk was miniscule compared to the slaughter and carnage of today.

Remember the "Emergency Brake"?  Originally, it was exactly that.  A mechanical linkage to allow braking if the hydraulics were lost.  Whoops...talking to master mechanic here but I'll leave it for others.

Point is, the "Emergency Brake" on an autonomous vehicle would be totally isolated and redundant to the main, net aware, system.  Activation would transfer control completely to it to allow transference to a safe stop.  The now partially blind vehicle would broadcast the equivalent of an emergency declaration that all other vehicles would recognize and give way...as well as notify police.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Now it's called a parking brake because it could not perform it's stated duty which was to stop the vehicle in case of an emergency.

Before your time, it could and did.  My mother stopped our 1949 Dodge inches from a brick wall with me in the car in 1954.  I was thrown to the dash, but would almost certainly have been more severely injured if we'd hit the wall at our 20 or so mph approach speed as she turned into the parking lot and the brake went to the floor.

It was about a 2 foot long lever.  She wasn't all that strong...but with that leverage plus adrenalin she stopped us cold.

Dave

It was about a 2 foot long lever.

Hooked to the drive shaft.

All parking/emergency brakes work.  Their effectiveness is much less than standard brakes however.

Get this thing up and running, I'll go for a ride.

Edited by CECAA850

It's a crap sandwich. On one side is the hacker, on the other side is constant surveillance.

Most choices involve a crap sandwich.  It's usually either that or a giant doosh (misspelled to avoid censor).  Political elections for example.

Edited by oldtimer

No question about the current warming cycle and it was apparent starting half a century ago without any measurements.  As to the man induced, certainly open to questions.  Estimates of COin the atmosphere during the Ordovician range from 2000 to 9000ppm and the ocean, far from dead, would have made good vegetable soup if it wasn't so salty. 

Granted, probably not a great place for humans but the 350-400ppm global catastrophe crowd is probably on the extreme. 

Is it reasonable to assume humans contribute something?  Yes, but a bit of a stretch to suggest we are suddenly driving something that's been cyclical for eons. 

Dave