k33 cornwalls...

Schu

I just replaced my stock k33's with crites cast frame 15'ers"... to me they sound very very similar. Was I expecting to much? What about the kappa's?

Bass is SLIGHTLY tighter and slightly more pronounced, ut overall a stock for stock type retrofit.

I guess its good to know the new woofers are good for another few decades.

• Like 1

Thats about it, other than the bass may seem a little tighter do the the woofer being new.  But I don't the Crites cast frames were meant to be more than a stock replacement for worn out woofers.  

I have systems with K-33, Crites stamped, and Crites cast.  I can't really tell the difference between the K-33 and Crites stamped.  The stamped were Crites original woofer designed to be a replacement K-33.  My personal opinion is that it is excellent and serves the purpose.

When Bob moved to the cast frame there was a lot of promotion about how much sturdier they are and better sounding.  I definitely do not agree and I know I am in the minority.  But........I do have 3 systems all running simutaneously in teh same room where you can clearly here what I am stating.

The cast have a slight boom that neither the stamped nor K-33 have.  The cast are not as smooth as the others.  This is clear to me.

But if you ask everyone they say the cast sound better.  I say they sound different.  YMMV. :) 

I have systems with K-33, Crites stamped, and Crites cast.  I can't really tell the difference between the K-33 and Crites stamped.  The stamped were Crites original woofer designed to be a replacement K-33.  My personal opinion is that it is excellent and serves the purpose.

When Bob moved to the cast frame there was a lot of promotion about how much sturdier they are and better sounding.  I definitely do not agree and I know I am in the minority.  But........I do have 3 systems all running simutaneously in teh same room where you can clearly here what I am stating.

The cast have a slight boom that neither the stamped nor K-33 have.  The cast are not as smooth as the others.  This is clear to me.

But if you ask everyone they say the cast sound better.  I say they sound different.  YMMV. :) 

Stallion,

Knowing you for your good ear it's difficult for me to disagree....but I do in this case.  

My four Crites cast in the DBB's are well seasoned and broken in.  Ran two K33's in one channel and the cast in other for fun.  (an easy A/B)

Both sets of drivers were roughly the same age.

At volume the K33's had more boom and didn't have quite the control of the cast frame...    For lack of better words, the K33's were a bit "floppy" to my ear. 

just me ...........

tc

I just replaced my stock k33's with crites cast frame 15'ers"... to me they sound very very similar. Was I expecting to much? What about the kappa's?

Bass is SLIGHTLY tighter and slightly more pronounced, ut overall a stock for stock type retrofit.

I really dont like the K33 no matter what I try in a Cornwall unless you listen to jazz - classical music at low volumes - the moment you pop in the rock and live music loud , it is like adding a mountain of uncontrolable bass -- it is just awful -

now the k43 is  much better - in contrast - a k33 will sound good in a scala - but not a cornwall 1

-is it the cone that does not have a high excursion or just too stiff - it is maybe because it is rear mounted - a k33 is to me an old - era woofer that is made for the purists only - 50's -60's style -you want to have a  rock -dance music woofer - it wont be a cornwall 1 -surprisingly a similarly equiped heresy 1 iwith k22-k55v -k77 is a charm - add a k28 and the heresy 1 is a gem -

-

-now you take a k48 8 ohms  - made by Eminence - is that ever a really good woofer that expands the sound - and that can handle pretty much a host of music types  -a lot of power handling - - bass is tight , -chest pounding speaker in a chorus -

now if Eminence made a k48 4 ohms - I would put it  in a Cornwall 1 to try - IMHO

If you notice the woofer in a cornwall has almost no excursion.....almost does not move at all.....by design.  Hence the cabinet volume.

ok - so why is the k43 a better woofer in a Cornwall - I read that it is actually an improvement as well as the Kappa 15c -since we are on this issue - what would happen if I popped a EVM15L in the cornwall - would it be ok although it is 8ohms -tx

I used pair of Fostex L475 lab series alnico woofers in my Cornwalls. In the end I preferred the K33. If I recall, the K33 has a lower Fs than the Fostex. And the Fostex calls for a larger ported cabinet. 

The K33 would get lower in frequency. But the L475s are 8 ohm woofers...they did have a better midbass than the K33.

I've saved a lot of money by just enjoying my speakers as they are. The only replacements I've made are when buying older pro gear with who-knows-what woofers in there. I've actually pulled two Jensen P15L out of MCM cabinets. In that case someone at sometime must have pulled woofers out of a 196? Cornwall yikes.   Another swap has been to steal the steel frame K43 from LSI to put in some KSM2 cabinets that had routed openings that only the steel frame would fit into. In both these cases a modification of grinding down two sides of the frame were needed to fit the cast K43 into the MWM or LSI cabinet. For a while in my original CW I had some EVM15L while my woofers were getting reconed. That's about it. They go boom. 

• Like 1

If you notice the woofer in a cornwall has almost no excursion.....almost does not move at all.....by design. Hence the cabinet volume.

ok - so why is the k43 a better woofer in a Cornwall - I read that it is actually an improvement
Who says a K43 is better in a Cornwall? In what way? Have you heard a K43 in a Cornwall or did you just read about it?

I've owned Cornwalls (original unmodified) and thought they sounded great... So I'm trying to understand your reasoning.

Like much of what I read here on the forums, it sounds like you're equating "different" with being "better"... when it's actually just different.

It may sound better to you, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's an overall improvement that most would recognize.

I'm sure others can provide the specifics, but to my understanding a K43 is essentially a K33 with higher power handling and slightly less low bass response (more rolloff on the low end). Does that make it better or just different?

Edited by GPBusa

For a while in my original CW I had some EVM15L while my woofers were getting reconed. That's about it. They go boom. 

Sorry Mike - when you say  For a while in my original CW I had some EVM15L - what was the sound like with  the EVM15L  for someone who likes hard rock in a CW1

If you notice the woofer in a cornwall has almost no excursion.....almost does not move at all.....by design.  Hence the cabinet volume.

ok - so why is the k43 a better woofer in a Cornwall - I read that it is actually an improvement as well as the Kappa 15c -since we are on this issue - what would happen if I popped a EVM15L in the cornwall - would it be ok although it is 8ohms -tx

The minute I read your original comments about too much bass I thought about your room and other equipment.  If a woofer that makes less energy down low like a K43 sounds better to you then I would definitely look at these other issues.  A K43 is not a better woofer than a K33.  It is a different woofer with different design specs and goals.  The cornwall cabinet was specifically designed for a K33, not a K43.

For a while in my original CW I had some EVM15L while my woofers were getting reconed. That's about it. They go boom. 

Sorry Mike - when you say  For a while in my original CW I had some EVM15L - what was the sound like with  the EVM15L  for someone who likes hard rock in a CW1

Been way too long to comment on that. Suitable I thought, not bothersome. 

The minute I read your original comments about too much bass I thought about your room and other equipment.  If a woofer that makes less energy down low like a K43 sounds better to you then I would definitely look at these other issues.  A K43 is not a better woofer than a K33.  It is a different woofer with different design specs and goals.  The cornwall cabinet was specifically designed for a K33, not a K43.

- there was a thread on the forum with CLAUDE that spoke about the K43 and the Eminence kAPA15c being very suited for a Cornwall - my point is that I will never get the bass alike a Chorus or kp301 in a Cornwall -