Klipsch CF-3 opinions

tromprof

I did this a few years ago. They ARE original black satin. I don't think I used anything over 120 grit then 180, 220, 400. The best look was achieved with about two to three coats of black satin. The original black will not sand out. Some will remain. using black satin again can control the amount of contrast of black with the wood grain. I went ahead and put them back black, but will re-do them again, maybe. They are currently in the garage. I will definitely put in L-pads for the horn even after all the damping I put on the horn lens and motorboard. (couldn't get those pics to load). These cabinets had been subjected to a lot of abuse! 

My other pair are in lacquered oak. The cabinets are in worse shape then the above pair. No mods have been done to this pair. The horn is much more over-powering than the pair in the pics. Damping does help! 

I have a few amps I use on mine including a Carver M-1.0t MkII and Carver M200t for solid state and a Stromburg Carlson ASR-120 and Magnavox 9304-20 for the tube side. The Carver M-1.0t gets the most use and sounds the best and the S/C tube amp second most use. So I go from 400wpc (best) to 120+wpc to around 12wpc. All sound great in their own ways.

I briefly used a George Wright tube amp (6550 push pull), but I switched speakers for a bit because the Wright worked better with Spendors. What I have heard others say and I believe is somewhat true is that the some Klipsch like more power

• 6 months later...

Just to debunk some Series III speculation:

Klipsch Group Inc Support Team <noreply@klipschgroupinc.com>
9:59 AM (1 hour ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

***DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL. KGI SUPPORT WILL NOT RECEIVE YOUR REPLY.***

Dear John,John,

The woofers were never changed between the 3 versions of these speakers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

If further information is requested by your support representative or if you have any further questions please use the link HERE.

Please Do Not Reply To This Email

• Like 1

Dear John, The woofers were never changed between the 3 versions of these speakers.  Hope this helps. Thanks,

Thanks for forwarding that info.  I try to keep up with all the important details on the CF-3 and CF-4. 

I am thinking the woofers were changed on the CF-4 version 3, which is the 12" woof.  Maybe that is where the confusion came in.

Edited by wvu80

• Klipsch Employees

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me

cleardot.gif

Dear John,

John,

Hope this helps.

Thanks,If further information is requested by your support representative or if you have any further questions please use the link HERE.

This info is not correct. The woofers are different.

I'd listen to the guy who designed them... He would know more than Klipsch support.
Yeah, with all due respect to Klipsch support, they are providing you with incorrect information. When I talked to them several years ago, they mentioned that they have very poor information on the Epic series. Could be part of what's going on. Edited by kapsnb01

Well if the version 3's are the worst of the group, I'm not complaining. My CF-3's stayed around and bested the KLF-30's and my Polk SDA SRS 2's (which were no slouches). All I did was lengthen the ports to the "version 1" length and altered the crossovers based on the diagrams that are out there. I love the way mine sound....they do everything I enjoy hearing right.

• Like 2

Well if the version 3's are the worst of the group, I'm not complaining. My CF-3's stayed around and bested the KLF-30's and my Polk SDA SRS 2's (which were no slouches). All I did was lengthen the ports to the "version 1" length and altered the crossovers based on the diagrams that are out there. I love the way mine sound....they do everything I enjoy hearing right.

Agreed. Did some work to my version 3s also and have zero complaints.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just checked back in after several months and indeed it does sound like Klipsch support was wrong.  I'm guessing from previous threads that Chief Bonehead is Roy so that makes it definitive.  I wonder how much they were changed and in what way.  Oh well...still liking my series III's.  Still looking for a definitive before/after photo for how to convert series III xover to series I xover.

(snip).  I'm guessing from previous threads that Chief Bonehead is Roy so that makes it definitive.

Confirmed.

I wonder how much they were changed and in what way.  Oh well...still liking my series III's.  Still looking for a definitive before/after photo for how to convert series III xover to series I xover.

Brian has expertly gathered the answers to all your questions and more in the definitive thread Klipsch Epic Owners Group.

Edited by wvu80

• 1 month later...

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me

cleardot.gif

Dear John,

John,

Hope this helps.

Thanks,If further information is requested by your support representative or if you have any further questions please use the link HERE.

Roy: I read somewhere that the woofers in the CF3/4 were essentially neo motor versions of the KLF20/30 woofers. Is that actually the case? Can you tell us the story and what the differences are between the CF3/4 series woofers? Thanks. Regards moray james.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

(snip).  I'm guessing from previous threads that Chief Bonehead is Roy so that makes it definitive.

Confirmed.

I wonder how much they were changed and in what way.  Oh well...still liking my series III's.  Still looking for a definitive before/after photo for how to convert series III xover to series I xover.

Brian has expertly gathered the answers to all your questions and more in the definitive thread Klipsch Epic Owners Group.

I have hit that thread and it is definitely very very well done.  Unfortunately I've only see the crossover diagrams for series I and II, none of the threads have the series III crossover.

Here are the values of all of my xover caps:

NPE:
1 x 25 uf
1 x 40 uf

Polymer:
1x15uf
1x3.5uf
1x.68uf
1x3.5uf
1x1.5uf

These seem to match the xover diagram labelled CF-3_pn_1163421 which I understood to be series I yet my wiring is not the clear type nor are my port tubes long.  From my understanding manufacturing was all over the place on these speakers.  Indyhawg had short port tubes but I believe had a CF3 series II xover. 

So basically I'm mostly concerned with the woofers...I already got port tubes at 5.5", ordered caps fro a recap (seems like my xovers are A/series I) but the woofers are a variable.

John