The story of Klipsch KPT-904

Dr Morbius

I own a pair of KP-450 Klipsch speakers. The KP-450 is an older model than the KPT-904, but uses the same dual 15 Bass bin. The Bass bin has the advantage of not needing a corner if you don't have one for it, but in my experience, they do not put out as much Bass as a well corner loaded Klipschorn Bass bin.

Now on the other hand, it is also my opinion that the K-510/K-69 is an improvement over Klipschorn.

There was a pair of KPT-904s just for sale on here for $1500 that Bill H. just sold to Michael Colter, but I do not know if that was the final price or not.

I paid $500 plus shipping for my pair of KP-450s and they were in excellent shape.

Roger

{Now on the other hand, it is also my opinion that the K-510/K-69 is an improvement over Klipschorn.}

In what way, may I ask ……... are the mids bigger than in the Klipshorn?

And $3,000 a pair as compared to $9,000 for the Khorns.. wow!

That is the same driver (K-69) with the smaller horn (K-510) as the home version of the Jubilee.

The K-69 is also a larger 2 inch compression driver vs: the K-55 in the Klipschorn.

and the KP-450 / KPT-904 Bass bin is not much more than a box, unlike the complicated horn box of Jubilee or the even more complicated Klipschorn to build.

Plus the KP-450 ? KPT-904 Bass bin has no real wood veneer like the Klipschorn and is only spray painted.

Roger

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

not sure what the k-69 is but the current 904's ship with the B&C de-750 on them. and the price WAS 1500 on these. it has went up i think to about 1650 on my last quote. 

do you have any idea of what 535M's go for?

not sure what the k-69 is but the current 904's ship with the B&C de-750 on them. and the price WAS 1500 on these. it has went up i think to about 1650 on my last quote.

do you have any idea of what 535M's go for?

sent you an email

• 5 weeks later...

I have KPT-904/450's. Mine use an EAW horn instead of the 510, but the same compression driver. I had custom crossovers built by Bob Crites based on measurements/experience from Bill Hendrix that shows in stock form the horn is a bit hot (3-4db) for 2ch use. The reason for that is to compensate for being behind a perf'd screen in theater applications.

I had a painter buddy of mine spiff them up to be less pro-audio looking.

I really enjoy them.

- Woody

51cdbfec60e04c04b8b7d9f6347e3be0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I have KPT-904/450's. Mine use an EAW horn instead of the 510, but the same compression driver. I had custom crossovers built by Bob Crites based on measurements/experience from Bill Hendrix that shows in stock form the horn is a bit hot (3-4db) for 2ch use. The reason for that is to compensate for being behind a perf'd screen in theater applications.

I had a painter buddy of mine spiff them up to be less pro-audio looking.

I really enjoy them.

- Woody

51cdbfec60e04c04b8b7d9f6347e3be0.jpg

yeah that is a sweet looking room for sure! 

Thanks guys. It's a bit "live", but the system still sounds pretty incredible if you don't get nutty with the volume knob.

I have a smaller dedicated room, but not running Klipsch in there. I got the KPT's specifically for this large room which is about 32'x38' in the main part of it.

- Woody

Thanks guys. It's a bit "live", but the system still sounds pretty incredible if you don't get nutty with the volume knob.

I have a smaller dedicated room, but not running Klipsch in there. I got the KPT's specifically for this large room which is about 32'x38' in the main part of it.

- Woody