Longe Range Commuter Car Advice Needed

rockhound

If used with low miles is not out of the picture, A Pontiac Vibe low mile, well maintained is a decent choice as it is zippy and solid due to the Matrix engine in them. Plus, can fold flat the back seat for a nice amount of space. A/C is always cold enough and never had to go over I/2 thermostat for heat. I have choice of 3 different newer vehicles for my weekend run of 600 mile round trip per day and,it is my preferred. Thinking thirty plus per gallon per interstate driving. Fully adjustable seat may make it for you. Could probably be had for not a bunch. Sits up relatively high and not a lightweight.My third one because, when they get to 200,000, I start looking for another on employer's lot. Not that they could not do 300,000, just want to keep resale value higher for employer. Dependable, has been my experience, at least.

Edited by billybob

I have a 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i and its the best car I have ever owned. It gets about 32MPG on the freeway and the naturally aspirated boxer engine has really good throttle response. It is AWD too so I never have to worry about bad weather etc and the base model has a lot of ground clearance for dirt roads etc. I am almost to 140,000 miles and am on the same clutch and have only had to bring it in for my 100k timing belt package which cost about $1,200. Insurance is dirt cheap for them too, I am 26 and pay only $64 a month on it with a $1,000 deductible. You will have better luck getting a good used one as they are less likely to be thrashed by a trust fund bro like the WRX models.

At its heart its a thoroughbred rally car which makes it a blast to drive. Punching it up to 80mph on a dirt logging road and getting sideways on corners is addicting to say the least.

• Like 1

Also forgot to mention that I get discounts on the following through my employer. The discounts usually result in dealer invoice pricing saved a significant amount when we bought my wifes Grand Cherokee and no hassle just hand them the paper work and the come out with the invoice sheet. I just looked at an example of the mazda 6 and I can gret a new mazda 6 sport for 21k the reviews seem to be good on this car. I just need to get out and drive a few. The plan is for

Mazda

Ford

Volkswagon

Gm

Chrysler

Audi

My inner irresponsible self want to buy a Dodge Challenger lol!

Edited by rockhound

Also forgot to mention that I get discounts on the following through my employer. The discounts usually result in dealer invoice pricing saved a significant amount when we bought my wifes Grand Cherokee and no hassle just hand them the paper work and the come out with the invoice sheet. I just looked at an example of the mazda 6 and I can gret a new mazda 6 sport for 21k the reviews seem to be good on this car. I just need to get out and drive a few. The plan is for

Mazda

Ford

Volkswagon

Gm

Chrysler

Audi

My inner irresponsible self want to buy a Dodge Challenger lol!

I've owned 2 Mazda 626's, and 2 Mazda 6's. They are great cars. Bulletproof cars! Handle great.

VW and Audi are the same company. I have had a Passat, which is a great car, and I currently have title to my son's A4. If I were to choose, it would be the Passat if I didn't need AWD simply because of the price difference. I really liked that Passat. Expensive to work on.

Of the big 3, I think Ford is the best choice in my opinion. I've had them all. I think Ford's look better, and people I have been talking to who bought them really like them. You may think this is strange, but I don't like the new Mustangs. There are just too many of them.

Edited by mustang guy

I'm about 6'1" and a 2014 Corolla rental was a very very nice car to drive from MO to NY and back in five days. Great lights and gas mileage, very comfortable, solid, did not get blown around in high winds, decent acceleration other than second gear.

Chevy Cruze had seats from hell, and could not get comfortable.

Nissan Maxima was above average, but felt cheaply built.