Longe Range Commuter Car Advice Needed

rockhound

Guys need a little advice. I work on a offshore oil platform my commute to work is 480 miles one way, I work a 14/14 schedule. I drive roughly 25-30k miles a year (work/personal). I currently have a 07 Toyota Tundra as my primary vehicle and the thing is just killing me in gas not to mention the mileage is starting to creep up currently at (114,000). I bought the truck originally because well I thought I needed a truck to haul the tractor and wot not around the house. Honestly tho I use the truck for actual truck duty maybe 2-3 times a year. I also have a Jeep Wrangler that could do the duties of a truck when I use my trailer, the only thing I can not do is haul my tractor to the deer lease (Once a year) but my dad's truck could full fill that need.

I've been thinking about selling the tundra and getting a commuter car for my travels to work. My wife owns a newer cherokee, I drove it to work last hitch and it was nice not having to stop to gas up as her GC gets good gas mileage (I averaged 24mpg) and a big tank to boot. So this got me to thinking maybe I should sell the truck and get something more economical with low miles, knowing that in the next couple years I will need to replace it anyway due to the high mileage I drive and the ever decreasing reliability of a vehicle as it ages. My employer gives me a set amount each month to cover the cost of travel which easily pays my note and insurance, I currently owe 4k on the tundra. If I do buy something it will be a 500 mth note and a finance term of 36mths which is around 17k , there are numerous mid sized sedans that fit that price that easily get 30+ mpg.

So what would you do, sell it or continue to drive it?

If you're looking for gas mileage in a reasonably priced nice riding vehicle, look for a Chevrolet Cruze Eco.  Depending on driving habits you'll actually get 42-50 MPG (real world numbers, not EPA).  They have a great ride and are very quiet.  More power than you would think as well.  I've had one almost 3 years.

• Like 1

Carl I drove a Cruze as a rental once and it seemed a little cramped, I'm 6'3". I liked it other than that.

JL- I considered that but I already have a jeep, truck and the wife grand cherokee my son isn't to the age of driving yet or I would. I can't justify having 4 vehicles when only two of us drive.

Carl I drove a Cruze as a rental once and it seemed a little cramped, I'm 6'3". I liked it other than that.

You might check out a Malibu then.  When my father passed his car went to us.  It's noticeably larger inside than the Cruze and still gets over 30 mpg with a V6.

• Like 1

Well, you already know how much you need your truck, and that is a commute that should be made a little bit more fun with a zippy gas sipper.

Mini Cooper.... cool little cars, pretty decent mileage, zippy and fun to drive, they offer a 2 or 4 door and have a deceitful amount of room in the back, and they accommodate relatively tall people as well.

Volkswagen GTI's (2015 are stretched a couple inches, biggest they've ever been) are inexpensive, good mileage, and fun to drive, and the TDI's are  torque'y buggers that offer even better mileage.

Toyota Corolla, for under $20k, get a solid ride that'll get you well into the 30 mpg range.

Malibu is nice and big.

I have been looking at the TDI VW's but not sure how they are on maintenance?

Diesel is so much more than gas that you really loose the savings you get through the better mileage it provides.  Typically everything on a diesel is more expensive than the gas counterparts all the way down to oil changes.

Yes, I feel the same way about Diesel's.... you pay a premium for the engine, and another premium for the fuel.

As side from the improved fuel mileage, you get an engine that'll last considerably longer than most people generally like to keep the same car (which you'll need to do, in order to get a return on your investment), and you get more torque at the wheels, aka zippy power. 

Diesel is so much more than gas that you really loose the savings you get through the better mileage it provides.  Typically everything on a diesel is more expensive than the gas counterparts all the way down to oil changes.
Also, in terms of long-range satisfaction, I found my previous car's turbo-Diesel to be tiresome to drive because of the turbo lag which required babying the accelerator and brakes, and higher noise and vibration.  Be sure you don't mind those things over 10's of thousands of miles.

I switched to gas, though I still miss the better mileage and fewer fill-ups.  

Rockhound,

I too drive on excess of 35,000 miles per year. As of May 4th 2015 I will have driven that each year for the past 34 years. My answer after years of trying various makes and models of cars is this: 

Get yourself a Honda Accord. Good, 30 mpg plus, gas mileage. Big enough to give a good ride. Change the oil every 5000 miles and it will last you ten years. 

My daughter is still driving a 2002 model with over 300,000 miles. I gave it to her 6 years ago after it was well broken in. 

I've owned Nissans, Fords, Chevys, Pontiacs, BMWs, Toyotas, and Hondas for my daily drivers. Nothing has been more reliable and easy on the pocket book like the 4 Accords I've owned. 

HTH,

Mark

• Like 2

• Moderators

Also, in terms of long-range satisfaction, I found my previous car's turbo-Diesel to be tiresome to drive because of the turbo lag which required babying the accelerator and brakes, and higher noise and vibration.  Be sure you don't mind those things over 10's of thousands of miles.

I switched to gas, though I still miss the better mileage and fewer fill-ups.  

That was a really nice car Larry.  It seemed like when diesel prices were within 20% of regular unleaded prices it was a "no brainer" to go for diesel, you made up for it with fuel economy.  Gas here is Austin is pretty much 2.00 per gallon, and diesel is $3.00 per gallon all over town.

If you are driving something large, towing, etc. diesel might make sense.

You could look at Honda Natural Gas Civic, but I think they are about 25K as I recall, highway they are supposed to be getting close to 40 MPG.  It is easy to fill them at home if you have natural gas at your house, the problem could be finding NG when you get to the rig.  Here is a NG station locator http://www.cngprices.com/station_map.php

The good thing about natural gas is that if you do it at home it runs about .80 pre gallon, and on the road it is about $2.20.  The price of NG stays more consistent than gasoline, I don't believe you pay fuel tax on the road, you for sure don't pay it if you recharge at home (it is a build in tax break).

After looking at the gas tank size it doesn't look like it would work for you, in city about 220 mile conservative range, and hwy about 300.  Gas would have to get over $3.00 to make it worth while.  It it were $4.00 per gal. it would be a real money saver, IF, they had a NG station between your house and the rig.  

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-honda-civic-natural-gas-test-review

Rockhound,

I too drive on excess of 35,000 miles per year. As of May 4th 2015 I will have driven that each year for the past 34 years. My answer after years of trying various makes and models of cars is this: 

Get yourself a Honda Accord. Good, 30 mpg plus, gas mileage. Big enough to give a good ride. Change the oil every 5000 miles and it will last you ten years. 

My daughter is still driving a 2002 model with over 300,000 miles. I gave it to her 6 years ago after it was well broken in. 

I've owned Nissans, Fords, Chevys, Pontiacs, BMWs, Toyotas, and Hondas for my daily drivers. Nothing has been more reliable and easy on the pocket book like the 4 Accords I've owned. 

HTH,

Mark

Funny you mention the accord it is on the short list. My wife owned an accord and a civic ai owned a CRX in college days never any problems not one. I work with a engineer who worked for Honda he told me a good story about them but the long and short of it is there is a reason the are called Honda motor company, the tolerances they base their qc by is insane. I drove a 08 the other day and it had that familiar Honda feel but it was not comfy and the driver seat did not go back enough for me. I'll check on the newer ones and see if they are more comfy and a little more leg room is PROVIDED.

THANKS to everyone for the advice keep it coming.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to buy. I think today's cars are vastly superior to vehicle from 30 years ago.

Saw a report on TV last night that Consumer Reports likes the current batch of cars from Subaru. I've test driven one but thought the MPG ratings a little low compared to the competition.

Mark

I have a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, and I love it.  For the last 20 years, I drove big, 8 cylinder cars the first 6 years and big trucks and SUV's the next 14 years.  This is the first time I have had a 4-banger since college.  I am really impressed with the way they make 4-bangers drive these days.  They drive great!  It will effortlessly cruise at 100 mph, but I don't do that very much.  I did in West Texas on I-10.  Of course, mpg suffers when you go that fast.  It gets peak mpg at about 70 mph or below.

My Sonata is also the first time I have ever been in a hybrid.  When it is in hybrid mode (which is quite often), it is dead silent.  People go, "Wow!" because the car is actually "on," but you can't hear it.  It makes it really nice when people are in the car with you and you are talking while sitting at a light, a drive-through, a driveway or a parking lot.

It gets about 35+ (it got 38 when brand new) miles per gallon in both the city and the highway.  It doesn't make a difference.  Oddly enough, it gets better mileage in the mountains. In northern Arizona, it got as high as 46 mpg on the highway.

The car is very comfortable.  There is great leg-room in the back seat as well.  No need for front seat passengers to move the seat forward when people are in the back.  They can keep the seat where they like it.

I like the way the car is laid out.  I like the materials and style of the interior.  The dash is some kind of neat, hard, textured rubber.

The non-hybrid version will cost considerably less, and it is supposed to get the same highway mileage - just less city mileage.  Given your commute, it would seem the non-hybrid would make more sense.  You do predominantly highway driving.

This Hyundai is also the first rice-burner I have personally owned.  They really make a good car for a good price.  I think Honda and Toyota are over-priced by comparison of dollars/amenities.  They are not too over-priced, though, if you have your heart set on one of those.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

I drive a big SuperDuty Diesel daily, and I hate paying extra for the fuel to get 14.7 MPG. Nevertheless, I need a truck. I will likely get a half ton next time, but I will have a truck. We had one of those 4 door Jeeps and as cool as it was, it was a gas guzzler too. Sold it at only about 2 years old. Our family currently has 2 Honda Accords, a 2010 coup and a 2011 sedan. The new Accord is available in a Hybrid which gets 45-50 MPG if that means anything to you. Personally I would get the V6 and be done with it if the leg room is there. They are bulletproof cars, but you can't haul very much firewood in them.  :) You might buy an old truck just to haul crap every now and then. Just get liability insurance on it. Park it in the barn.