what does a folded horn like a tuba sound like?

Paducah Home Theater

What jason str said...

Nothing like a folded horn on QUIET bass.  Big leiblich geideckt organ pipes.  Yeah, I know most have no clue what I am talking about but these are LOW, and they are quiet.  Folded horn can provide an experience virtually identical to being there.  Boxes and ports tend luff and sound like subwoofers. 

Basically, the same thing that makes horns good for everything else as well.  Organic...as it were.

Dave

• Like 3

It sounds like "HOLY &*^*&^ U*&(@*&&* DID YOU HEAR THAT &*((#&^)$ U*)(^$)&^@ WHEN THE *&(*_(* PLANE HIT THAT %*%#*&^%$ MOUNTAIN!"

:P

In a word, I think they sound bigger.  That's not because they are. I have a couple dual 18" subs that are way bigger.

• Like 2

To me, horn subs ( four tapped horns in my case) don't sound like subs at all. It's easy to forget they're even there when the music (or movie) lacks bass content. When bass is present, even at low volume, you feel and hear it. Khorns do the same thing, they just stop at a higher frequency.

Contrast that with ported or sealed that, to me, always remind me they're there.  To some degree it's a setup issue and matter of personal preference.  The gain can be turned up on horn subs to the point they always announce their presence. Likewise, the gain can be turned down on ported or sealed to the point you forget they're there. Unfortunately, in my experience, they then don't remind you they're still there when real musical bass is present, at least not like horn subs.

To me, I always hear subs, unless they're horn subs.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

I think you got it, Neil.  IB or horns aren't heard on their own at all.  Really just sounds like the mains extend all the way.  As mine is a cabinet looking affair that is black like everything else most don't even know it's there.

Dave

• Like 1

To me, horn subs ( four tapped horns in my case) don't sound like subs at all. It's easy to forget they're even there when the music (or movie) lacks bass content. When bass is present, even at low volume, you feel and hear it. Khorns do the same thing, they just stop at a higher frequency.

Contrast that with ported or sealed that, to me, always remind me they're there.  To some degree it's a setup issue and matter of personal preference.  The gain can be turned up on horn subs to the point they always announce their presence. Likewise, the gain can be turned down on ported or sealed to the point you forget they're there. Unfortunately, in my experience, they then don't remind you they're still there when real musical bass is present, at least not like horn subs.

Well said.  :emotion-21:

I have also found that the cleaner the bass the clearer everything above it sounds as well. 

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 2

I think you got it, Neil.  IB or horns aren't heard on their own at all.  Really just sounds like the mains extend all the way.  As mine is a cabinet looking affair that is black like everything else most don't even know it's there.

Dave

Regarding a good IB setup, I trust Dave on this. I've yet to lose my IB virginity, but I look forward to the day.

Dave

Regarding a good IB setup, I trust Dave on this. I've yet to lose my IB virginity, but I look forward to the day.

All you need is a trip to TX :P

IB's and horn subs sound very similar.  IB's are more expensive to build as they need more amp and more drivers but they'll go MUCH lower than a typical horn sub.  If you are a music mostly person, do a horn sub.  If you're 50/50 or more biased toward HT, do an IB if you can afford it and have the right room.

All you need is a trip to TX :P

But will you still respect me?

I'll say I will.

Edited by CECAA850

All you need is a trip to TX

Yep.  Lost mine at Carl's.  Woofers up on a wall completely away from the mains...and totally transparent.  That was also my proof that you only need multiples if your mains are not full range and you have to crossover too high.

Yeah, I've heard about nulls and such but not experienced any.  My single Cinema F-20 does the job nicely.

Dave

We have had our new horn subs in service now for near 3 months every time we fire them up we are so thankful to have discovered them. No matter where you are in our home upstairs or down the impression is as if you are hearing the music live. Hearing them is the best judge of how they compare.

Effortless, efficient, clean bass. I've only got one THT and the only other sub I'd consider is IB. Sealed and ported just can't compare to the sound a horn produces, no matter how many you have. For $500 you can build a sub that will fill your room, and possibly your house, with the cleanest bass you've ever heard from a sub.

The only drawback is size, most are rather large.

I'm just not sure where I'd put the thing. I've got two 18's under my screen and I don't like the look plus am wanting more (or at least more effortless) output down low. I guess my two choices at this point is to get two more 18's and have four in a row then dress it out like a nice coffee table, or back up and find a way to get some folded horns in there. I can't put them in the front corners though as there are doors there. If I put them in the middle they would likely have to fire to the sides and i'm not sure how well that will work. My rack is on one rear corner and my office is in another. Kind of only leaves directly behind the seats. Not sure how to fit them in my room at all, at least the ones I have seen pictures of.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

You could probably lay 2 of them down, mouths together (firing in the middle) and make one long platform out of them.  You could build 2 F-20's or 2 Lil Wreckers.   I wouldn't put the subs behind you though.

Edited by CECAA850