Woodworker question (router & table)

Coytee

Am wanting to get a router and a table for it.  Something portable and less than $50,000 please!

I'm leaning towards a Milwaukee router however, I've not found a Milwaukee table for it.  I've seen a Porter Cable setup with matching table.

Thoughts?  Any cautions to be aware of?

Will probably get the Porter Cable dovetail jig (which is another point in favor of the PC router & table, "just because")

I'm guessing that if you get the top or second from top router, you are getting a good one regardless of brand.

I'm also leaning on a plunge router.  Am I perhaps better off getting a plunge router AND a fixed router for the table?

Edit to add:  I should have also said that I do NOT want to get into adapters to make something fit.  I borrowed my wifes cousins router & table.  He had some kind of adapter there to get the router to fit the table and making adjustments was a royal pain in the.....

Edited by Coytee

Richard, I bought a less than expensive Craftsman router table and flush mounted it into an existing flat work bench so I would have a larger surface to work with. Used threaded rod and nuts to perfectly align table to bench at each corner. Then I bought a plunge router so I would not have to dis-mount the table one. IThe 'table' I bought lacked a decent fence, don't cheap there. I am not a wood worker!

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

I've seen a Porter Cable setup with matching table.

Yes,

Will probably get the Porter Cable dovetail jig (which is another point in favor of the PC router & table, "just because")

Yes,

I'm also leaning on a plunge router.  Am I perhaps better off getting a plunge router AND a fixed router for the table?

Yes What Usnret said.

Then I bought a plunge router so I would not have to dis-mount the table one.

One thing comes to mind, if your going to table mount it and do some crazy stuff.  Then you might want to get a fairly large one, I have a Porter Cable hand held router.  For hand held you want some decent power, but no such a big motor you can handle it.  That is why some like the small routers, I just don't like having to make 4 passes on a 3/4" piece of wood.  

As far as a table goes, I would recommend building your own.  There is so much to gain from a decent table that fits your needs.  

I would recommend a shaper and a plunge router.  The shaper is much easier to work with and more stable than a router mounted in a table.  Look at Grizzly Industrial to get an idea.  Of course gothoovers computer controlled router would be a dream. 

Edited by toolz
  • Like 1

I use a very old Rockwell  overhead/overram router to free hand router some of my artwork in special made onetime use custom fixtures.

If you don't have any balls don't even try this. More than once a piece caught (I was nervous and shakey) and split in half and bounced off my gut

then flew across the shop about 20 feet. You know, I did get upset about that. So I named it the "Earthquake Bowl".

JJK

post-13211-0-78700000-1425431714_thumb.j

and if you are not familiar check out Rockler

you can spend days looking and MONEY there, GREAT customer service

I love my hand held router

I just tossed my latest Rockler catalog but they have a ton of tables, fences, and other accessories to set up any table you want. I've lived in the Twin Cities and in Phoenix and both had Rockler retail stores. You can check out some of the merchandise to get an idea of what you might like.

• Moderators

Oh great now I have router envy :(

Have been playing around routing different designs, it's not as easy as it looks, for sure. It's easy to just shape or round off edges but trying to draw is rough for me.

"Warning"   Do NOT do as I do, my pic should be in the warnings on how not to operate a router. 

I take off the frame with the handles and use it as a giant drimmel tool.

I need MUCH more practice, and still may not get any better ?

post-9700-0-86420000-1425494651_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-25340000-1425495073_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 2

The Tool Man here in town has advised me to avoid Milwaukee tools.  I was told that they used to make good equipment but now are made of more plastic parts that don't last.  He has always steered me right, even suggesting I buy products that he did not handle.