La Scala tweaks and hacks? Hit me

jimjimbo

The O - rings are real ones the originals are just flat rubber washers that sometimes hang over the front of the driver. Not sure if Bobs new ones do that but my old ones did. When I was working on mine I looked down the throat of the mid horn and could see washer I said that can't be good. So went to hardware store with estimated idea of what would work bought several. Do not have picture but its easy to figure out. I also put a very small amount of super glue on the O-Ring to hold onto the driver face. Then dabbed small amount of Vaseline on the O-Ring to help it not bind up screwing it back into the horn.  Rick

Edited by ricktate

And this is how my La Scalas are braced but they also have double thickness side and back walls

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Very nice indeed   - did you make the braces yourself -you have 6 braces on the cab - 2 bottom - 2middle-2 top - plus thicker walls on the sides and back - I would have thought that 2 braces were sufficient -

are these scala 2 or scala bins - that would mean you have at minimum  1.5 inches on the side and rear -     how have the braces helped overall not including the bottom bass port -

you have 6 braces on the cab

I believe that is to mount grills... If you enlarge the photo, you can see that the top and bottom braces are only a strip attached to the top and/or bottom.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

you have 6 braces on the cab

I believe that is to mount grills... If you enlarge the photo, you can see that the top and bottom braces are only a strip attached to the top and/or bottom.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce ,  I saw that  - I can see a screw on the brace to secure the grilles as well -the cabinet is built like Fort Knox ,- most obliged Randy

And this is how my La Scalas are braced but they also have double thickness side and back wallsattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Very nice indeed - did you make the braces yourself -you have 6 braces on the cab - 2 bottom - 2middle-2 top - plus thicker walls on the sides and back - I would have thought that 2 braces were sufficient -

are these scala 2 or scala bins - that would mean you have at minimum 1.5 inches on the side and rear - how have the braces helped overall not including the bottom bass port -

Bruce is correct there is one brace in the centre and the others at top & bottom are wood strips for the grill

The extra thickness has helped immensely

To your other question - All the cabinets are professionally built to Klipsch plans ( they are not factory made ) and I am the second owner

The bottom bass bin takes the bass range to below 30 htz when used with the Crites 15" cast driver to my ears

Anyway you can read about some of the build here - https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/108425-la-scala-bass-reflex-mod/

Edited by Full Range

your Scalas are very nice -and definitely not stock gear  - thank you for the real time sampling of this otherwise superb setup -

post-48334-0-14580000-1426460093_thumb.j

Edited by Randyh

Jimjimbo and all !

Having been around the world three times and reading every comic book known to man I think I can state with authority the ultimate tweaks for stock La Scala 's .Hmmuuumm  ( clearing throat prior to speech ) . NOW , I have found that if you chew a piece of Wrigley's Spearmint gum for 12 minutes , another at 10 mins ,allow them to cure for two days and then place  the 12 minute chewed piece 8 mm into the squaker horn at the 11:00 position and the other  12mm back at the 3:00 position it pulls the AB 12,000 HZ distortion  out of the equation . Next you need a 1958 D mint silver dime ( the newer bi-metals sound way to harsh ) and place it under tha cabinet on the NESW corner tangent to the earths gravitional pull at 48 henries 138:00 degrees it will eliminate the need for braces to the doghouse as it will suffice to pull all the bass resonance from the cabinet . Next and final step . Take a dab of Max Factor Blushing Bride Pink nail polish and apply the dab to the upper right hand corner , 1 mm in on the tweeter horn ( 2 mm if it's a Crites , drink your favorite beverage heavily for 27 minutes as if you were back in college , turn on your system to a lease breaking decibel level , sit back and close your eyes and you sir will have the sound you always dreamed the La Scala's were capable of reproducing .I hold the patent for this tweak allthough having stolen the plans from a German Monk retreat to remain anonymous but any or all are free to employ it .

Donnie

Jimjimbo and all !

Having been around the world three times and reading every comic book known to man I think I can state with authority the ultimate tweaks for stock La Scala 's .Hmmuuumm  ( clearing throat prior to speech ) . NOW , I have found that if you chew a piece of Wrigley's Spearmint gum for 12 minutes , another at 10 mins ,allow them to cure for two days and then place  the 12 minute chewed piece 8 mm into the squaker horn at the 11:00 position and the other  12mm back at the 3:00 position it pulls the AB 12,000 HZ distortion  out of the equation . Next you need a 1958 D mint silver dime ( the newer bi-metals sound way to harsh ) and place it under tha cabinet on the NESW corner tangent to the earths gravitional pull at 48 henries 138:00 degrees it will eliminate the need for braces to the doghouse as it will suffice to pull all the bass resonance from the cabinet . Next and final step . Take a dab of Max Factor Blushing Bride Pink nail polish and apply the dab to the upper right hand corner , 1 mm in on the tweeter horn ( 2 mm if it's a Crites , drink your favorite beverage heavily for 27 minutes as if you were back in college , turn on your system to a lease breaking decibel level , sit back and close your eyes and you sir will have the sound you always dreamed the La Scala's were capable of reproducing .I hold the patent for this tweak allthough having stolen the plans from a German Monk retreat to remain anonymous but any or all are free to employ it .

Donnie

Now that looks like a well thought out plan....I personally would just bypass every to the point of the 27 minutes of heavy beverage drinking... 

• 8 years later...
On 3/13/2015 at 10:14 PM, Marvel said:

Here's the added plot, in orange

post-5045-0-12540000-1426299226_thumb.jp

Resurrecting this old thread as I'm looking to do some maintenance and possible minor mods on my La Scalas... The orange plot in this picture doesn't seem to match the plot of the reduced volume plot from a few posts above this. Am I missing something? 

My plan of action as of now is to check and replace (if necessary) my squawker gaskets, add the bass horn reinforcing triangles, and add either foam or non-porous material to the back chamber. Considering the Eminence Kappa 15c woofer as a later upgrade. AA crossovers have already been rebuilt with good caps.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Jon_L said:

Resurrecting this old thread as I'm looking to do some maintenance and possible minor mods on my La Scalas... The orange plot in this picture doesn't seem to match the plot of the reduced volume plot from a few posts above this. Am I missing something? 

My plan of action as of now is to check and replace (if necessary) my squawker gaskets, add the bass horn reinforcing triangles, and add either foam or non-porous material to the back chamber. Considering the Eminence Kappa 15c woofer as a later upgrade. AA crossovers have already been rebuilt with good caps.

Hello, welcome to the Forum, please start a new thread regarding maintenance questions and ideas. 

Modification/DIY discussions are not appropriate in this Forum and should be posted in Forums associated with those discussions like DIY Audio, or Audio Kharms . 

Thank you