University Classic/Dean Horn profile need driver choice help

I am wondering if any of the Hornresponse and other computer simulation design programs users might be able to help. The original driver that this horn was designed for was the University 315w which no longer is built and for which there are no T/S values. Would it be possible to work from the horn profile and establish driver parameters? Fs would bee between 45 -50 Hz or so. I have also attached drawings for one of the horns versions both are very similar. Thanks for any help. This horn is said to equal or better the Khorn and it is a simple build more importantly it has a very wide bandwidth and is suitable for two way use with a horn. Best regards Moray James.

University Classic Flare Analysis_Classic.pdf

post-44375-0-97640000-1428392936_thumb.j

Dennis: thank you very much for posting. Do you remember the assortment of drivers which worked well in these? There was a range heavier cones worked better for low extension lighter cones for more extended response. It would be great to establish a list of modern and available drivers which will work well in these horns. Any remembrances and comments would be most welcome.There seems to be a fair bit of interest so far. Best regards Moray James.

You know, the Classic has an internal volume of 442 liters. In the same volume you could put 3 Eminence Sigma Pro-18A-2 woofers in a vented box, or 5 in a sealed box, and get similar 100+ dB performance with a much easier build. Just food for thought.

post-20593-0-46840000-1428523767_thumb.p

thanks Edgar: these sims were done for the Classic. This is fantastic. The Altec 515 sure looks nice. Big step forward for this thread data to provide insight into new available drivers for the University Classic and the University Dean.

You're welcome. I'm not certain that the Altec/GPA 515 will fit -- it's a 16" driver, and the woofer enclosure is only 16.375" wide.

The C15W does have a high Fs near 60Hz. The surround is molded paper, it's not an accordion pleat.  It has virtually no "flex".

That said, it doesn't do the horn justice.

When Qman built his Classics he stuffed them with K33Es.  He was pleased.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/12278-q-mans-university-classic/

Edited by John Warren

"Could you please provide a working set of values or some serviceable drivers so we can correct errors in the thread?"

I don't have them.

My comment was that the math didn't add up, and that neither of those posted could possibly be correct.

I'll do some more searching and see if I can find something that looks correct.

Hi,

First post here - Moray James asked me over in diyAudio to take a look at the University Classic and reverse engineer the driver parameters. I have built the Akabak model with all the turns and expansions and contractions - this horn is super efficient, with a decent driver it can make 130dB+ at xmax but problem is the tuning frequency is a modest 75Hz. I find it rather tolerant of different drivers and certain modestly priced modern pro audio drivers can really make it rock. I will post results tomorrow. There is a very simple mod that will take this down to 60Hz without too much loss of sensitivity.

Cheers,

X

• Like 2

90% of the performance of any horn loudspeaker is the horn itself, not the driver.

The higher the mass corner, the higher it will go.

In general, high mass corner drivers have low x-max.

Pick the driver with a mass corner a half-octave lower of where you want to cross it at (for better maximum bass output).