RB-5's vs. RB-75's

K5SS

I am about ready to dig my RB-5's out of storage and I am wondering how they would stack up against RB-75's? 

I am moving into a tiny house and I am probably going to sell my RF-63's;( I am thinking about just using the RB-5's and a RC-7 up front but I am not opposed to buying RB-75's and using my RC-62 ii instead. I might even just run them in "phantom center mode" or stereo to eliminate some equipment. The house I am buying is only 550 SF. Haha! 

I really like the look of the 75's over the RB-5's but they are roughly the same size. Who here has been fortunate enough to hear both these models? 

Edited by K5SS

I haven't had the luxury of hearing either...I'm working out a potential deal for a pair of 5's...but my assumption would be that the 75's would be better based on the specs on paper. Bigger horn, same size woofer, bigger cab...

I personally like the looks of the 5's better, but that's just me.

RB-75's 20.2" (51.3cm) x 10" (25.4cm) x 11.75" (29.9cm)

RB-5's 17" (43.2cm) x 9" (22.9cm) x 12.2" (30.9cm)

Looks like you guys are right, the RB-75's are a little larger. And to think I thought the RB-5's were big.. 

• Like 1

When I first got my 75's, instead of hooking them up to a 2-channel rig, I unplugged the 63's and placed the 75's right next to them on stands.  A few music and movie demos later, and all I can say is that I was more than impressed.  As you know I love my 63's but if I had to, I "could" sell them(never going to happen) and be very happy with the 75's in that system. :D

Bill

It depends on the room you have them in. I owned the RB-5 ll, RB-81 ll and RB-75 all at the same time. I did a lot of comparing in my office which is about 11 x 13 or so using a 4 way speaker selector. In my office the RB-5 ll was hands down better than the others. It was much smoother sounding and more laid back. In my theater room which is long and narrow, like 23 x 14 the RB-75 was able to run with my dual Epik Empires without missing a beat. They sounded a lot like my RF-7's when blended into the HT mix. So if it's any type of near field listening the RB-5's do a lot better IMO. In a theater size room, the RB-75's will sound better than a lot of tower speakers out there if you're running subs. 

Edited by Vital

I've had both together and sold the 75's, only because I knew I could get 4x's the price for them over the 5's. In my opinion there just wasn't enough of a difference with my room and setup to justify the extra cost of the 75's. Cost no object I'd say grab a pair of 75's though as they'll probably match up better with the RC-7 anyway.

Thanks for all the input guys. I am fond on the 5's, just never heard the 75's. This thread helps me eliminate my impulses to buy 75's. The room they are going in is only 10' x 10', RB-5's should put out plenty of sound, especially when my SB-13Ultra artives;)

Those are some real beauties Scrap, I would love to have them. Problem is that the tiny house I am buying needs a new kitchen and roof. Trying to keep my spending down at the moment.

I am still hoping the 63's will fit.. I would hate selling another pair of my dream speakers.

The room they are going in is only 10' x 10', RB-5's should put out plenty of sound

The 5's will be just fine in that room.  I had mine in a 13L x 13W x 10H bedroom and they surprisingly filled the room without much effort.

I love the real wood veneers but just never grew fond of the grills.

Bill

I have both currently and much prefer the RB75's but the RB-5's are no slouch. I gave the RB-5s to my son but they are back here right now while he transitions into his new house. They sound great in my bedroom with the RC-3 center.

My 75's are currently being used as height speakers (I know Bill :) ) and do a great job with my 11 ft. ceilings in a 15 x 30 room.

Here's a couple of pics of both side by side for referencePICT0025_zpsmgrcfqnr.jpgPICT0014_zpsjim3dhxm.jpg

PICT0024_zpsdnd0y68y.jpg

Edited by Tasdom