what's the ultimate sub build? :)

Paducah Home Theater

I'm as close as I'll ever be.  I haven't had the itch to upgrade subs in about 6 or 7 years.   Once you get there, you know it.

For me, it seems no matter what I get into, it's never enough. My wife says it's too much and describes it to people that haven't listened to it as "stupid" loud. Lol. 

I'm as close as I'll ever be.  I haven't had the itch to upgrade subs in about 6 or 7 years.   Once you get there, you know it.

For me, it seems no matter what I get into, it's never enough. My wife says it's too much and describes it to people that haven't listened to it as "stupid" loud. Lol. 

In terms of sound, it's not sheer loudness that I'm after.  I want effortless bass in the lowest octaves without sacrificing being tight and musical up top.  I know good and well how to make stuff loud.  Now to do that while seeming effortless and gentlemanly down low, and still being really defined up high, all while looking like a million bucks, is an entirely different story.  Basically I want to have my cake and eat it too.  ;)  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

In terms of sound, it's not sheer loudness that I'm after. I want effortless bass in the lowest octaves without sacrificing being tight and musical up top. I know good and well how to make stuff loud. Now to do that while seeming effortless and gentlemanly down low, and still being really defined up high

Yep, that's it.  Basically you want something that can keep up with your mains without distortion at whatever level you play.

I'm as close as I'll ever be. I haven't had the itch to upgrade subs in about 6 or 7 years. Once you get there, you know it.

In terms of sound, it's not sheer loudness that I'm after. I want effortless bass in the lowest octaves without sacrificing being tight and musical up top. I know good and well how to make stuff loud. Now to do that while seeming effortless and gentlemanly down low, and still being really defined up high, all while looking like a million bucks, is an entirely different story. Basically I want to have my cake and eat it too. ;)

get you four palladium subs. They come with a packet of icing and white gloves to eat t with!
  • Like 1

Yep, that's it. Basically you want something that can keep up with your mains without distortion at whatever level you play.

If the Ultimax is not fittting the bill for keeping up with the mains, something is wrong.   You would need to go pass 0 reference into the plus numbers to make things crazy but, I won't talk about when I did that, lol. :blink:

Edited by derrickdj1

Yep, that's it. Basically you want something that can keep up with your mains without distortion at whatever level you play.

If the Ultimax is not fittting the bill for keeping up with the mains, something is wrong.   You would need to go pass 0 reference into the plus numbers to make things crazy but, I won't talk about when I did that, lol. :blink:

It's really only on super low stuff when I'm playing around reference with the subs 6 db hot.  And, I just don't need to be doing that so I'm going to give up on trying.  What happens is that they fle... I mean, they have so much excursion that you can hear higher frequency driver harmonics and possibly box resonances even though I built them pretty tough.  The calibrator last weekend thought I was actually hearing the nearest wall shaking and adding to the overall sound.  

Metro, I don't get that from my boxes.  Have you seen some of the graphs I posted in my additional wooferage thread.  It was meant to be educational as a way of giving back to the community.   https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/156694-additional-wooferage/page-4

I was able to hit 115 db at 10 Hz and near 130 db at 35 Hz.  Those graph are low extension mode.  I won't even listen to anything at those levels due to hearing damage.  They may help your sort out what is happening in your room.  Take 10 db. away and the levels are still carzy loud if distortion is in question.  I wish I would have taken some distortion reading since now I have recalibrated everything.  You need to post some graphs so you can see what is going on with the FR.

Edited by Chad

The calibrator last weekend thought I was actually hearing the nearest wall shaking and adding to the overall sound.  
Did he make any suggestions and or improvements to your sound overall? 

Setting the distances manually helped a ton, Audessey wasn't real accurate.  Wasn't a real big fan of anything else sound wise.  He made everything super loud which I don't agree with.  With bigger Klipsch speakers, Audessey kills them by 8-12 db.  He manually set this to be flat, like at 0.  Why would anybody do this?  It makes no sense.  Now -25 db is too loud on most everything, pretty ridiculous, and he was shocked that we would listen to stuff at -20, but that is before he boosted everything.  Really the only thing he did was get stuff kinda flat but then kill the treble so you could stand listening to it at reference level.  It had a goofy sound.  He boosted it back 1.5 db when I questioned it but I dunno, speech isn't the greatest on it now although he liked it.  I was really impressed with the video part but for audio I'd say save up your money and buy an audessey pro kit, and maybe a laser distance measurer.  As for the subs, he claimed that getting air compressor isolation pads would get rid of some of what I'm hearing.  

So, probably not suitable for HT when expecting to get into the low freq? Stick with the 18's!

exactly. 

cory why don't you come up my way one weekend and you and i can go hear 8 SI's, 8 ultimax's, and dougs dual gjallerhorns and his SI 24?

I'm bringing you an overweight cat if I come up. :)

So, probably not suitable for HT when expecting to get into the low freq? Stick with the 18's!

exactly. 

cory why don't you come up my way one weekend and you and i can go hear 8 SI's, 8 ultimax's, and dougs dual gjallerhorns and his SI 24?

I'm bringing you an overweight cat if I come up. :)

deal. 

I'm curious about dual opposed setups. What happens up high when you have subs pointed in different directions? At 80 hz it's pretty directional. Curious as to if it sounds weird with directional sounds while not being pointed at your head.

I had the dual oppose Epik sub and it need to be angled in the corner for best placement.  Otherwise, it was no different than any of the other subs that I have had in terms of directional cues.  The best sub from the directional viewpoint is down firing subs.  They help filter out higher frequencies and harmonics.

The best sub from the directional viewpoint is down firing subs.  They help filter out higher frequencies and harmonics.

So just fire them straight down into the carpet, or does it have to be hardwood? How much clearance do they need? That would solve my height issue, the box would only have to be like 10" tall plus some clearance instead of 20". No funky cones being visible either.