what's the ultimate sub build? :)

Paducah Home Theater

The most aggravating thing about my setup right now is that there seems to be this smallish window of volume in which they sound great. Too low and it just sounds lame, the sub-bass doesn't open up at all. Too high and it distorts, bottoms out, or whatever. If we watch action movies a tad bit louder than the rest of my family is comfortable with, which I realize this is meaningless but it is around -10 to -15 with the subs 6 db hot, they open up and it sounds real nice like subs are supposed to sound, real clean and full. I guess that's the nature of the beast but its weird. Wish it sounded as full as it does in this window at any volume. Not sure if more woofers are the solution or what. I've got a calibrator spending half the day with me on Saturday, we'll see what he says.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Can some of you smart guys comment on the Rockford P3's?  I've got an opportunity to get some of these, curious as to if they could be used for home theater but I don't know what specs to look at.  Xmax isn't very much but it's still more than Dayton Reference.  A row of these would look awesome in my black room.  

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p3d4-15

Why the hell is Le that high though?  Doesn't that cause distortion?  If copper lowers this, why would a copper clad voice coil be that high?  

Worst case I'll put them in my jeep but I'm curious about putting them in my theater room.  

I've been looking at these as well and wondering the same as you, if it would be good for a HT application?

Run their specs in winisd and see.

Assuming I did it right, they seem to like 55 hz that's for sure.  No matter what the box size there's always a boost right there.  Don't do nearly as well down low as I had expected, I guess not bad for a 15 with a fairly low xmax but four in 3.5 cubic feet each is still 6 db down from two ultimax 18's at 20 hz.  For some reason they're absolutley killing the acoustic elegance driver down real low though, maybe I screwed something up entering that one in.  I was worried about response up high due to the impedance and expected more down low.  Maybe it can't do either one very well.  

Was a little disappointed at Rockford's tech support guys.  Apparently they had no idea what xmech was or how it differed from xmax, what le / coil inductance was, what the subs even sounded like on anything except rap, thought 2,000+ watts rms in a house was laughable... come on guys.  

Was a little disappointed at Rockford's tech support guys.  Apparently they had no idea what xmech was or how it differed from xmax, what le / coil inductance was, what the subs even sounded like on anything except rap, thought 2,000+ watts rms in a house was laughable... come on guys.  

That's funny.

Assuming I did it right, they seem to like 55 hz that's for sure.  No matter what the box size there's always a boost right there.  Don't do nearly as well down low as I had expected, I guess not bad for a 15 with a fairly low xmax but four in 3.5 cubic feet each is still 6 db down from two ultimax 18's at 20 hz.  For some reason they're absolutley killing the acoustic elegance driver down real low though, maybe I screwed something up entering that one in.  I was worried about response up high due to the impedance and expected more down low.  Maybe it can't do either one very well.

So, probably not suitable for HT when expecting to get into the low freq? Stick with the 18's! 

So, probably not suitable for HT when expecting to get into the low freq? Stick with the 18's! 
 exactly. 

cory why don't you come up my way one weekend and you and i can go hear 8 SI's, 8 ultimax's, and dougs dual gjallerhorns and his SI 24? 

• Like 1

The search for Shangri-La continues.  Sybok may be able to help! ;)

I'm actually happy with the sound nowadays.  They're just ugly as hell.  The only complaints I have with the sound happens at levels that I don't need to be listening to.  I'm sure it could be tweaked a little but I mainly need to make the subs look nicer.  I've got my curtains up and a rack will be here soon, the sub boxes will be the weak link visually at that point, as shallow as I realize that is.  

• Like 1