Am I Crazy? (keep it on topic)

I dont know those exact units... perhaps they have options to allow the playback to remain native.

As a matter of fact, I wouod be willing to bet they would.

Edited by Schu

the denon should play native, but it's a full AVR and I'm wondering if that's a dumb use for it as a limited streamer/dac/preamp. the oppo is an obvious choice, but it lacks solid support of streaming services or (Apple Airplay to make up for it) and I don't have any CD's or SACD's.

I certainly do not know about this but wouldn't the oppo 105 do what you are looking for?

Most, but not all - most specifically Apple Airplay. It's not my primary feature requirement, but it opens up a whole world of audio options independent of whatever a manufacturer aligns with in any given year. and its more than the even the cambridge device costs.

• Moderators

That's a cool looking little receiver, looks to have connections for anything.

Mr Ray, you mad me laugh just reading the title.    Am I Crazy? (keep it on topic)

I reached out to Cambridge Audio support - on this device, upsampling cannot be circumvented.

For the same cash I can pick up a refurb Denon-4520ci, which has the same functional streaming and DLNA support albeit with a less pretty presentation, and a 32" TV for that space. It will be primarily an audio system, but that would give me video capabilities from time to time since that space is my "cave" where I also do gaming and late night movies,etc.

I looked into the marantz and it doesn't seem as appealing to me.

I think I would hold out, or compromise, for a ESS DAC equipped unit.

The 9018 chipset really does offer up a substantial improvement in liquidity and "life" out of your audio stream... well and above many similar spec'ed DAC's.

I know you might not be fond of the class D topology but the Pioneer units offer up outstanding performance for dollar outlay and they come equipped with the ESS Sabre.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

I think I would hold out, or compromise, for a ESS DAC equipped unit.

The 9018 chipset really does offer up a substantial improvement in liquidity and "life" out of your audio stream... well and above many similar spec'ed DAC's.

I know you might not be fond of the class D topology but the Pioneer units offer up outstanding performance for dollar outlay and they come equipped with the ESS Sabre.

What you think of a Peachtree Nova Pre? http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/novapre-preamplifier-with-dac.html

uses the 9023 chipset, but was pretty well regarded. I still have my old macbook pro and I've reduced its function down to just arcade software, which I could easily run in vmware the few times a month I actually need it, and then keep it dedicated to stereo the rest of the time. 

a new SSD, a used Nova Pre, and a new gig-E/wireless AC router would give me all the same functionality and a little more bang for the buck compared to an AVR.

I am sure that PT might be better than what you are using now, and that might be enough. I like the galvantic isolation and ess chipset, slight compromise in specification based on costs, but I am sure it sound very decent.

I understand where you are coming from when it comes to cost versus performance, but also consider that your new CW's are capable of extreme detail and liquidity now... you could easily hear the difference between a generation old dac and the latest dacs. Specially in terms of asynchronous usb high resolution file types and thruput. Quite a bit of granularity and jitter is created when clocking and resolution is compromised. Will it still sound good, no doubt... could you hear the difference between an older dac and a femto/vishay dac with multiple ess chips that isolate each channel and input/output, absolutely.

You know, all this doesnt come cheap though...

Edited by Schu

I hear you... buying anything new is a bit like chasing the dragon, never enough. I do think with some of these late gen dacs have reached a plateau in terms of diminishing returns and as we go forward things will be incremental and not revolutionary. That being said, if you shop wisely or wait a few more months you may get much more for your money on the secondary market

Edited by Schu

I hear you... buying anything new is a bit like chasing the dragon, never enough. I do think with some of these late gen dacs have reached a plateau in terms of diminishing returns and as we go forward things will be incremental and not revolutionary. That being said, if you shop wisely or wait a few more months you may get much more for your money on the secondary market

these have a good reputation:  http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB32014/NFB32014EN.htm

my amp has per-channel volume knobs, but I'm thinking of pairing it up with one of these so I only have one knob to deal with for volume control: http://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/mini-passive-preamplifier

my plan is to decide on something and then sit with it for a year before changing anything else - so I once again find myself in the middle of analysis paralysis.