Oppo BRP direct to amp?

vnzbd

I am currently looking to simplify my system and go to 2.1 ch but still want to maintain the ability to have 5 ch for HT. My thought is a decent pre for 2 ch and running the center/surrounds direct from the Oppo to the amp(Emo XPA-5). I currently use the analog 5.1 out and would maintain that set up. The Oppo allows for individual ch volume levels as well as a master volume for the Analog out so on paper I can see this working.

Has anybody done a setup like this before?

All opinions welcome.

Current set up:

Marantz avr used as pre/pro only

Marantz CD player

Oppo BDP93

Emotiva XPA - 5

Klipsch KLF

HSU sub

Should work fine with the Emo's gain (I have the 105 and XPA-5 but haven't tried it). For some reason I cannot link to this or paste but trying searching for: oppo bdp-105 used as a pre/pro

I can tell you that a loss of power doesn't affect volume setting and I have done a factory reset once and this didn't change the volume in my case. My setup is Oppo to Emo Mini-X amp via XLR to RCA cables which is my outdoor tunes.

I looked into this a couple of years ago and I remember reading that if your oppo ever reset that the volume goes to max by default.  This is would be bad.  Please check around to see if this is a real problem before setting this up

Don't think so....default volume is 40, less than half.

The Oppo 93 has a 100 step volume control and is designed if so desired to use as a preamp. It puts out up to 2 volts of current to drive an amp properly, at least thats what tech support told me at one time. The only problem I found when using the Oppo as a preamp is there is no volume display on the front face, but it will display it on the tv. 

Thanks again for the info, I will report back after soon experimentation.

If it does work to my satisfaction I will most likely have some buyers remorse over not getting the 95 with the better dac. I currently have a dedicated CD player for those duties and am looking for a serious simplification.

Well off to a bit of a rough start. No problem with the Oppo playing directly into the Emotiva but as far as the volume control goes it does not bring it down to even close to a zero volume level. I have it running stereo  and have both chs at 0dB gain. The volume goes up fine but coming down while it is still very audible the last step is actually mute.

I know that the Emo has a very high gain but I don't think this has anything to do with the issue. I am not currently hooked to a monitor so I can not see the volume level scale. I will be checking to make sure I have the latest software updates.

Hmmm....

Well I got the Oppo hooked up to the monitor and was able to view the volume control. It starts at zero(which is not quiet) and increases in increments of 5. At volume level 35 my ears could take no more. Overall opinion is that it sounds flat and lifeless. I can say that I am very surprised that my Marantz CD5004 sounded better through it's analogs out than the Oppo 93 thorugh it's analog out or it's digital allowing the Marantz SR8500 do the decoding. I am thinking that my not so golden ears actually heard a difference in DAC's...

Well I guess a preamp is in order so plan B it is...

Well I guess a preamp is in order so plan B it is...

Marantz has a good rep and you seem to like it.  How does it simplify your life to go from one piece of equipment to another?  What do you hope to gain (or lose?)

I have grown a little tired of some of the clutter in my life and the audio rack is part of it. In addition to what I listed I also have a speaker selector switch for Z2 and Z3. There is an amp for the transducers under my couch. I am feeling more strongly towards two ch at the moment(subject to change). The AVR is a Marantz 8500, top of the line back in the DVI era and is only being used as a pre/pro now. I wish I could spin all of the discs from one player.

I had hoped to eliminate the AVR, speaker switch, CD player and relocate the secondary amp.

I can't say that I am ready for 2 ch because I do use the HT a fair amount but I do want to try it for a bit.