Denon AVR 4311 issues with KLF30's

Thrasher

your rca interconnects are coming from the proper pre-outs?

i still think you just need to redo Audyssey. What was the sub trim level set to after calibration?

If I remember correctly, -4db but it was re-adjusted to +1 (if I remember correctly)

re. do. audyssey.

*tap, tap, tap* is this thing on?

haha. I know, I know.... He re-did Audyssey 3 times last night as I tried to explain that these speakers should be shaking the walls down...As they, and the sub, remained extremely muted and boring....

did you use all the measurement positions? was the measurement distance of the sub accurate? your trim levels point to a measurement error. efficient klipsch speakers can be a bit finicky at times, but it's not impossible to get +/-3 on the trim levels by default.

did you use all the measurement positions? was the measurement distance of the sub accurate? your trim levels point to a measurement error. efficient klipsch speakers can be a bit finicky at times, but it's not impossible to get +/-3 on the trim levels by default.

Yes, the measurements were actually right on each time. The mains, center, rears and sub were all in the negative. He bumped them up when I said it sounded horrible. It created more volume but that's about it... They are still all in the negative however. Measurements were also taken with a meter on a tri-pod. I remember that he set the sub at 75db while configuring it, as per recommended by Audyssey...

Edited by Thrasher

What playback mode are you using? Stereo, direct, 5 channel stereo, etc? Go ahead and turn the dynamic EQ on with Audyssey and put it on day mode or off. This will

boost everything big time and give you that pumped up boom boom with the sub and over extend everything else. When the grit and bloat gets old, turn off Audyssey, turn

your sub output to the 9 or 10 oclock position or so to your liking, hit the pure button and give the uncolored and unstripped signal a go for a while.

What playback mode are you using? Stereo, direct, 5 channel stereo, etc? Go ahead and turn the dynamic EQ on with Audyssey and put it on day mode or off. This will

boost everything big time and give you that pumped up boom boom with the sub and over extend everything else. When the grit and bloat gets old, turn off Audyssey, turn

your sub output to the 9 or 10 oclock position or so to your liking, hit the pure button and give the uncolored and unstripped signal a go for a while.

Was having a hard time figuring out play back modes. Playing audio will set it to something different than tv or movies. I think I should just go buy a 1981 Kraco boom box and be done with it.

(or....re do Audyssey lol) I think it will yield the same results however.

Was having a hard time figuring out play back modes. Playing audio will set it to something different than tv or movies. I think I should just go buy a 1981 Kraco boom box and be done with it.

(or....re do Audyssey lol) I think it will yield the same results however.

Ha! Don't give up.. The 4311 is really simple once you use it a little and its still one of the best AVR's on the market sound wise. I have run Audyssey countless times with different mics, different heights due to the height of

my front K-horns and it never matters. It just steals the delicates from most music and anyone can walk in my room and I can demonstrate how it strips the details and "hidden passages" from the music itself.

Although it was mentioned earlier... Did you ever confirm that you have both jumpers attached to the HF & LF speaker connectors.  The picture you originally posted shows them bi-wired without the jumpers in place.  I've attached a photo of what the jumpers should look like.  If you don't have them you will only hear either the HF (mids & tweeter) or the LF (woofers), depending on how you have them connected... in your case it sounds like you have the speaker wires going to the HF set of jacks.

post-12390-0-52020000-1431036771_thumb.j

post-12390-0-89740000-1431036779_thumb.j

Although it was mentioned earlier... Did you ever confirm that you have both jumpers attached to the HF & LF speaker connectors.  The picture you originally posted shows them bi-wired without the jumpers in place.  I've attached a photo of what the jumpers should look like.  If you don't have them you will only hear either the HF (mids & tweeter) or the LF (woofers), depending on how you have them connected... in your case it sounds like you have the speaker wires going to the HF set of jacks.

Do I still need the jumpers if they are both connected at the amp as I showed in the other picture?

post-59853-0-52540000-1431038591_thumb.j

Thrasher, I would put the jumpers back in place and run one set of wires to the AVR-4311ci  and leave off the amp if you are still having problems...Honestly, the AVR-4311ci should drive your system quite loud at -10 on the Main Volume if you do what I suggest below--Good luck and check that Dynamic Volume isn't on.

I have a Denon AVR-4311ci to the HT in my sig and a KLF-20/C7 hooked up to a AVR-4806...Imo, this is what I would do if what I surmised above is wrong:

1) Unhook the amp

2) Run Audyssey as per the links provided above

3) Go in and set all speakers all to small

4) Go into Bass Mgmt/Advanced and cross your KLF-30s at 40 to 60 Hz (possibly even 80)/Others 80 Hz or higher

5) I bet by doing this your trims will be less than -12...If not, Plan B. ;)  Good Luck.

Edited by tkdamerica

jumpers not required if bi-wiring.

Although it was mentioned earlier... Did you ever confirm that you have both jumpers attached to the HF & LF speaker connectors. The picture you originally posted shows them bi-wired without the jumpers in place. I've attached a photo of what the jumpers should look like. If you don't have them you will only hear either the HF (mids & tweeter) or the LF (woofers), depending on how you have them connected... in your case it sounds like you have the speaker wires going to the HF set of jacks.

jumpers not required if bi-wiring.

I know that... But it was my understanding that the picture he posted was how they were hooked up before he bought them... When they sounded great at the sellers house.

But based on the description of his problem, he either is missing the jumpers or his bi-wired/amped setup has a problem. And like others have mentioned, he should probably go back to a single wire/amp setup to troubleshoot the problem.

Try turning audessey off, running full range 2ch stereo and bump the tone control or eq up around 4db in the 40-60hz region. This is how I listen to 2ch music. 2.1 I drop the eq back down and run my subs around 4db hot, still no audessey. 6.1 movies audessey is engaged, all tone controls are flat and I run the subs around 6db hot. Give the 1st option a go, my NAD and rf83s sure pump.