Personal damage by man's best friend?

oscarsear

Most, if not all, of us have - or have owned - loving pets.  They'd not ever do us intentional harm but they often do not know their own size or when they do inflict undue pain and suffering upon the hand that kibbles their lives.  Give us your tales and don't limit it to just dogs.

For starts.......... long ago we had a deaf albino cat.  Not big as cats go, just normal size and a real sweetheart.  About 2:30 one morning I hear this odd noise outside the bedroom window.  The window was directly behind the bed so I sat up turned around and opened the curtains to see what I could see.  There I spied the neighbors dog burrowing underneath the fence into my yard.  I had no notion that the cat was also sitting in that window watching the same festival of canine stupidity.  And she was not expecting my head to join her.  She did not hear me and was intent on watching el doggy and then she noticed your's truly.  WHAM!  One single paw full force right across the nose - no claws just blunt instrument brut force.  I was seeing stars, tears of vast suffering automatically welled up and streamed down the face.  2 black eyes (really).  Tough one to explain at work.  "Sure the little kitty beat you up."

Adored that cat.  Had her since a kitten, saved her from walking across a freeway at that time.  She lived a long and happy life and never apologized for this singular transgression.  Funny as hell to be honest.  Surprised the nose wasn't fractured.

When I was a kid I had an Alaskan Malmute that liked to run and pull stuff, but he would also run away for days so we had to keep him tied up. So I got this genius idea that I would get a long piece of rope and tie him to my 3-wheeler for exercise. I had miles of trails behind my house due to my grandfather maintaining oil wells. We would ride on that and he would try to pull me as if he was a sled dog, it was pretty fun. Well, I was going sideways across a hill one time when he saw some deer run out and to our left. He took off and pulled me sideways down the hill. The rope was attached to the handlebars so he just flipped the thing sideways. We crashed and the 3-wheeler rolled upside down on top of me. I was able to get out from under it and was unhurt but it could have been much worse.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

My Lil Cocker Spaniel dam near got me killed. When my son was racing Motocross, I would pick him up from school and take him to practice. I kept seeing "that look" that dogs give you when they know you are leaving. I couldnt stand it so I started taking her with us. Then it turned out she went to every practice and every race with me for years after that first time. In the motorhome, she would ride on the back of my chair as I was driving, half way laying on my shoulders and the seat. She was quite the show for the fellow MX'ers. Became everybodys friend. 

One time during a very busy practice, a kid crashed on the track and as parents, we would help flag if need be. I saw the kid crash and knew he was in danger of getting ran over so I started running onto the track with her on a leash. Not the first time we ran together and thought we had it down pretty good. Then, in mid-stride, she bolted between my legs and I did a face plant in the mud, in the middle of the track, and took quite a spill. Bikes barely missed me/her and we didnt get hit by them, and luckily, they slowed down for us so the kid that initially fell was out of danger due to my "trip". I was a little bruised but she came out of it unhurt and looking up at me like....... why did you fall there? what happened, lets go play, as I was limping away with her still on the leash and right by my side. LOL. Sadly, she is not with us anymore but we built some wonderful memories between her and my son. How those bikes saw us is a mystery to me still to this day. 

We had a Newfoundland (Schultz) that we brought to a 4'th of July fireworks display.  I had him on a leash and was sitting on a lawn chair waiting for the display to start.  He had walked around the back of the chair and was laying down by my side.  All was great until they shot the first rocket up.. It was just a loud explosion to let everyone know that the show was about to begin.  He bolted and as he did, the chair I was in did a 360 due to the leash being wrapped around the back.  The chair flew and he dragged me about 10 yards on my stomach much to everyone's amusement.  I didn't really get too hurt other than a good sized bruise where the leash pinched my arm against the lawn chair.

• Like 2

Dang Carl, I can just picture that. Your lucky it was only 10 yards! First Down!

He made my Rottie look tiny.  At one time we had 2 Newfs and a Golden retriever.  The Golden was a 90 lb female and the tiniest of the bunch. 

I would hate to see the bombs in your back yard!!!

We went through 50 lb bags of food like nobody's business.  Our backyard backed up to a man made (non concrete) drainage ditch.  about twice a week we'd scoop the back yard and sling it over the fence into the ditch.  We had greener grass in the ditch behind our house than anyone on the block.

My 1st rescue Greyhound was named Prize (not by me).  We went out back late one evening mostly for a potty run and as usual she's right by my side.  Then, she decided it was play time and instantly started into her dog circles.  She'd just whirl in like one spot - fast - instantaneously fast.  She flings around and her bony hip hammers the side of my thigh and I drop like a sack of doorknobs.  Of course she thinks I'm joining in the fun and starts to course the yard at 2 million MPH.  I am unable to walk whilst this gleeful dog gracefully buzzes all about me laying on the lawn, moaning.  I crawled over to the patio chairs and pulled myself up and hopped back inside on the remaining functional leg.  The other one was cramping.  The dog was exhilarated.  A very, very nice bruise and one very, very happy dog.

About 8-years ago my bestest friend, a cat named Deposition LeMew, developed a fatal urinary infection and could not "hold it" till he got to the litter box. One day he "wizzed" on about a dozen CD's that were on the bottom shelf of my media rack. The discs turned out o.k. with some plastic polish but the artwork was history.

I would hate to see the bombs in your back yard!!!

We went through 50 lb bags of food like nobody's business.  Our backyard backed up to a man made (non concrete) drainage ditch.  about twice a week we'd scoop the back yard and sling it over the fence into the ditch.  We had greener grass in the ditch behind our house than anyone on the block.

We only have the wife's Ankle Biter.  She goes across the street outside the neighbors pasture to drop her loads.  No Dog Bombs in our yard.

"Woo-woo" an awesome golden retreiver, our first family dog + local skunk = one helluva night experimenting with tomato soup.

skunk-butt.jpg

Recently we've been blessed with a cat that loves to lick fuzzy things and occassinally eats a hole in the carpet. :blink:

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

"Woo-woo" an awesome golden retreiver, our first family dog + local skunk = one helluva night experimenting with tomato soup.

skunk-butt.jpg

. :blink:

OMG! That never comes out good.  Been there and Dealt with that.