Yugioh

Deang

I got sucked into this "children's card game" a little over a year ago by my 10 year old, who was lamenting the fact that he had no one to play the game with. I'm an old Chess player, and playing cards isn't really my thing ... and after fifteen minutes of exposure; I knew I had made a big mistake. Each card contains text, which tells you what the cards summoning condition(s) and effect(s) are. The text reads like a John Grisham novel using a 1 point font. The game is insanely complex, and I laugh every time I see a box that says "ages 3 and up".

The game has little if nothing to do with the amine, which is pretty awful as far as cartoons go. So, what is this thing? In a nutshell. It's like Pokemon except for older kids. The creatures and monsters are rather ominous, and the artwork on many of the cards is off the charts. I've ended becoming a collector and a player. I have cards that run upwards of a $100, and play three Tier 1 competitive level decks. I have roughly $1200 into my three decks. and then what's in the binders - the cards I don't play anymore, but keep because of their value. Ian has two Tier 1 decks, and though I play local tournaments, a lot of time is now being spent coaching Ian and preparing him for regional level events. The game is extremely addicting -- you always want the best carts when they become available, and playing the game itself is a hell of a lot of fun.

So, if you're bored and you're looking for something new to get into, or if you want to connect with your kids on a different level -- this is a lot of fun.

"Magic" is popular too, but it just doesn't have the same appeal for some reason.

• Like 2

If you want a more adult version of "Magic", check out the new Witcher 3 game that is coming out of Poland. The whole premise of the game is that its a vast open world you have to constantly make morally ambiguous decisions and every choice affects the outcome later on which is pretty cool. It can vary from things as small as how you phrase a conversation all the way up to deciding on killing a prince who is suspected of poisoning his brother which would have an affect on the entire map etc.  Its kind of like a cutting edge version of the old "Myst" game from way back:

Here are some of the cinematic trailers:

I've ended becoming a collector and a player. I have cards that run upwards of a $100, and play three Tier 1 competitive level decks. I have roughly $1200 into my three decks.

Sooo, what I hear you saying is you are going to keep spending on those expensive rare cards, hoping to beat your 11 year-old some day. 

That is, unless he has grown up and moved on.  :lol:

Edited by wvu80

They're all Tier 1 decks, so were evenly matched just about all of the time. We do swap out our tech cards constantly -- hoping the other doesn't have the out for the lock. It's pretty challenging.

When my kids were young, I used to take them to Toys-R-Us on Saturdays to compete in Pokemon. I spent a ton of money on Pokemon cards. The metallic ones would should up every now and then when you would buy a new deck. There is no doubt you can spend money on those games. I think Magic, Yu-gi-oh and Pokemon are all published by the same company. I taught my kids to play chess at a young age, but games like this are so much more interesting, and frankly more fun. It still requires a great deal of strategy, and helps develop critical thinking skills. 

I think there are some books of Pokemon cards upstairs somewhere. I bet they are worth a fortune now since a lot of them are first issue.

Another thing I spent a ton of money on and still have are LEGOS. At a very young age they are great for stimulating creative thinking, as well as being a great toy for teaching objective and critical thinking. When I was a kid, budding engineer types like me had erector sets and chemistry sets. 

The first editions are worth month, the others have not yet generated the value. It'll happen someday though.

Pokémon and YuGiOh used to be under the same company, YuGiOh was bought out, and Pokémon became it's own company. Magic is from some other company. I keep kicking myself because the PKEM stock - which was the cost of a deck of cards when I was involved in it is now worth a TON of money...

• Moderators

My girlfriend's son has asked me to play Pokeman cards with him, he is 13. My eyes glazed over reading the instructions.

It sounds like I hope he never discovers this game, a lot of money, but what I like about it is human interaction, not two people staring at a tv with game controls.

Is there any money in Pokemon cards, collectors value wise? Apparently there are counterfeit cards out there?

Edited by dwilawyer

My girlfriend's son has asked me to play Pokeman cards with him, he is 13. My eyes glazed over reading the instructions.

It sounds like I hope he never discovers this game, a lot of money, but what I like about it is human interaction, not two people staring at a tv with game controls.

Is there any money in Pokemon cards, collectors value wise? Apparently there are counterfeit cards out there?

Sure there is money in it.

Check this link out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINE-1st-Edition-Base-English-Boxes-ALL-FACTORY-SEALED-w-CASE-Pokemon-Charizard-/400606778392?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d46065418&nma=true&si=LknqvZBNG9Xvp7uOAwQkwDs0%252FhY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Nine sealed boxes of Pokemon 1st edition cards sold for $119,000.

and this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-10-GEM-Mint-Pokemon-HOLO-Charizard-1st-Edition-4-Base-Set-Shadowless-/111534944752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f80031f0&nma=true&si=LknqvZBNG9Xvp7uOAwQkwDs0%252FhY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Charizard Pokemon Charizard 1st Edition sold for $5,000.

• Moderators

Sure there is money in it.

Check this link out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINE-1st-Edition-Base-English-Boxes-ALL-FACTORY-SEALED-w-CASE-Pokemon-Charizard-/400606778392?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d46065418&nma=true&si=LknqvZBNG9Xvp7uOAwQkwDs0%252FhY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Nine sealed boxes of Pokemon 1st edition cards sold for $119,000.

and this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-10-GEM-Mint-Pokemon-HOLO-Charizard-1st-Edition-4-Base-Set-Shadowless-/111534944752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f80031f0&nma=true&si=LknqvZBNG9Xvp7uOAwQkwDs0%252FhY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Charizard Pokemon Charizard 1st Edition sold for $5,000.

Good gosh, he wants me to help him sell some of them and I have no idea on value, looks like I will have to do a lot of research on ebay.

Is there a definitive book on these?

Edited by dwilawyer