What exactly did I buy this morning?

K5SS

I have always wanted to buy a vintage pair of Klipsch speakers and I ran across a CL ad this morning. The guy said that they came from his parents estate and he only knew that they were 1962 Klipsch speakers. Are they early walnut Heresy's?

image.jpg1_1.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

image.jpg5.jpg

image.jpg3.jpg

I also snagged this turn table from the same guy. He sold it to me for exactly what I had in my pocket, $32. 

image.jpg4.jpg

Guest Steven1963

Heresy's began being built in 1957. So I don't think those are a prototype if they are 1962. The cabinet may be something else with Heresy guts, but w/o the mid-horn.

looks similar to Heresy minus the mids of course, The backs are definitely no original, screws are wrong and I have never seen a perforated back panel, can not fathom PWK using that

looks like a nice score, I love that cast bass driver and wonder what size it is

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I don't know really but it almost looks like someone put Klipsch parts in a different cabinet, DIY maby ? 

Unless someone replaced the rear board with that peg board looking junk, besides the mid range not there, that is what sticks out the most. Plus all that extra grill cloth on the inside and the lines drawn like they were trying to center the drivers. And look how the cloth is pulled a little on the top front, I say these things because I have never see any of that on factory speakers. They didn't even have a whole piece of pegboard junk to do the back, they pieced it. :o

All guesses ? :D

If nothing else if the cabinet dimensions are the same as a Heresy you could always add the midrange, crossover, plus add a real back board and have some nice speakers. It might be worth it depending on how much you paid ? You could always look up the going prices for your 4 drivers and compare to what you paid, if interested.

Things like the extra, or a little pulled cloth doesn't bother me much, but no midrange or crossover, and that holey back is not good. imo

Edited by dtel
  • Like 2

I paid $250 for them. Reading the responses, I now think I really didn't get a great deal like I thought.

My plans were to buy all the same vintage tube gear and run them in a 2 channel setup in my office. I didn't pay much for them so I might just list them and buy some authentic 60's Klipsch speakers like I had originally intended.

I was really hoping one of you Klipsch gurus was going to say I scored a prototype pair of Heresey's on the cheap. Haha!

I will hook them up to my new Emotiva/Marantz gear tomorrow and listen to some Dave/Tim and develope some impressions. Sunday's could be spent worse.. At least I didn't shoot an 85 today like Tiger:)

Actually, who am I kidding? I would be ecstatic if I shot an 85 at this point in my golf career.

Edited by K5SS
  • Like 1

"I was really hoping one of you Klipsch gurus was going to say I scored a prototype pair of Heresey's on the cheap"

It looks like there is enough room to install a K700 on the baffle, then add a type E network, cost you less than $150 (the pair) to make it a real Heresy.

Edited by djk
  • Like 1

Heresy's began being built in 1957. So I don't think those are a prototype if they are 1962. The cabinet may be something else with Heresy guts, but w/o the mid-horn.
The tweet and SP 12B (if that's what it is) may be partial Klipsch guts, but the xover comprises the most rudimentary type of 2-way imaginable -- a high-pass filter that doesn't really divide the frequencies, but only keeps bass away from the tweeter.  There's no coil to keep the highs from being wasted in the woofer.

I wonder if you even have a Heresy cabinet, FWIW.

• Like 2

the one in the middle is one of my early H-700's flanked by a set from 79

this one came as a single driver with no midrange - tweeter or crossover. the motorboard came with the mid and tweeter cutouts but with 1/4" cardboard covering them so i turned it into a 3 way to match my other H-700 with the K-1000 midrange horn

post-12513-0-62380000-1433684092_thumb.j

Edited by Budman
  • Like 2

There was a ton of D.I.Y. audio during the late 50's to mid 60's, so it's possible that someone built them, trying to replicate Klipsch speakers of the day. Stereo sound was all the rage in the consumer market and every manufacturer was selling their latest and greatest components and systems. It really was a Golden Age. You could pretty easily finish them off with mids, a proper crossover network and new back panels, ending up with a very nice sounding pair. There's also the chance that they were an entry level/beginner set, starting with a full range woofer, adding the tweeters and mids at a later date, the latter which didn't happen. If they sound good use them, if not, fix them or part them out and sell them to recoupe some money and get a pair that you are certain about the pedigree. Best of luck.

• Like 1

I love the cabinet/grille color combination. The person who did the grille, did a crappy job aligning it. I would buy some new cane and redo that if those were mine. Shouldn't cost much. 

The drivers in the cab say PWK on them, so I don't think you are hurt. The cabinet looks like it was veneered very nicely with walnut. If it is in good shape, it's worth some bucks. I do not get the peg board back panel. The terminal connectors look right, but that can't be as good as sealed; can it?

15.5" wide, 11" deep and 23.5" tall.

The back panel isn't pegboard, it is Particle board. It is about 3/4" thick and both are solid pieces.

Really solid construction and they are beautiful. I will see if I can find any markings..

• Moderators
the one in the middle is one of my early H-700's flanked by a set from 79 this one came as a single driver with no midrange - tweeter or crossover. the motorboard came with the mid and tweeter cutouts but with 1/4" cardboard covering them so i turned it into a 3 way to match my other H-700 with the K-1000 midrange horn

Thanks I had no idea, if they are the right size maby someone just replaced the back and cloth ? That's good news.

• Like 1