av receiver

john

Hi all,I'm in the market for an upgrade.I'm looking at the onkyo tx nr 828 and the 838.My biggest concern is the accueq vs audessey.Onkyo dumped audyssey for some reason.I'm a bit concerned, since I like audyssey.I don't know if I'm ready for atmos yet,so I'm leaning toward the 828.Any thoughts on the two receivers?Thank you

If you like Audyssey, stay away from accueq. I think Onkyo f'd up on that one.

What about the Denon X4000 with MultiEQXT32 and dual sub EQ? Better EQ version that MultiEQ.

I notice the 828 is $600 on Amazon and the X4000 is $800. I think the 828 is a good choice, too bad I dont see a 929 around, it had XT32.

Also have these, I like AC4L

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4000/denon-avr-x4000-7.2-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr4520ci/denon-avr-4520ci-denon-s-flagship-home-theater-receiver-150wpc/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr828/onkyo-tx-nr828-7.2-network-a/v-receiver-w/wi-fi-bluetooth/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr818/onkyo-tx-nr818-7.2-thx-certified-network-a/v-receiver/1.html

Edited by gadgtfreek

Is the 828 one of the models with HDMI board issues?  Something to keep in mind, if it is.  If you're not tied to Onkyo, the Denon  4520ci that gadget linked is a killer deal on a great unit that has MultiEQ XT32...which works great. 

• Like 1

Is the 828 one of the models with HDMI board issues?  Something to keep in mind, if it is.  If you're not tied to Onkyo, the Denon  4520ci that gadget linked is a killer deal on a great unit that has MultiEQ XT32...which works great. 

I think it was the first model they fixed the issue with a new board, but the previous models had the faulty hdmi boards and got the warranty extension. Onkyo finally owned up to it.

• Like 1

If you are  open to another band, consider the Pioneer SC 85.  Dual sub EQ and full phase control and standing wave correction for all the speakers. These avr's have D3 amps which replace the amps in the SC 35/37.  The price is competiive with the Onkyo and Denon models you are looking at.  A lot of place have reduced these from the Pioneer retail value.

Edited by derrickdj1

If you are open to another band, consider the Pioneer SC 85. Dual sub EQ and full phase control and standing wave correction for all the speakers. These avr's have D3 amps which replace the amps in the SC 35/37. The price is competiive with the Onkyo and Denon models you are looking at. A lot of place have reduced these from the Pioneer retail value.

since when did pioneer start eq'ing subs? Or is it just the 63hz and up?

Is dolby atmos overrated?

Interesting question, but I don't think I would call it overrated from what I've read.  There are some demo setups that have gotten rave reviews with Atmos test source material.  There is certainly a group of people wanting to move to that setup.

I am probably in the "old school" camp.  When two-channel was the de facto standard those who had a ton of time and effort perfecting that medium resisted going to the new 5.1 setups, which has changed in an evolutionary way to 7.1, 9.1 and 11.1, with multiple subs 2x, 4x, 8x, even 16x.  For now, many with perfected 5.x setups are entrenched and resisting Atmos.  That is where I am, I have a decent setup and have no desire for much more.

But there are others who have nice 5.1 or better setups who want to be leading edge and they are leading the way to Atmos.  Most of all the new higher end AVR's won't even move off the shelf unless they support Atmos.

There are plenty of choices in terms of format.  It remains to be seen if Atmos can kick the 5.1 king off the throne at the top of the audio food chain, or if Atmos will go the way of the Betamax, a superior video tape format the public never endorsed.

You do remember video tape, don't you?  B)

Edited by wvu80

Is dolby atmos overrated?

200.gif
i don't know about overrated but dts will have similar soon and a current avr will have to be very high end to be able to be upgraded. It is for sure in its infancy in the home setting. I won't hop on board till 50% of movies come out IN ATMOS! Not matrixing but discrete atmos channels. And until that happens a properly 5.1 or 7.1 should blow your socks off. If it doesn't then it's time to upgrade speakers
  • Like 1

a properly 5.1 or 7.1 should blow your socks off.
:emotion-21:  Exactly....but getting 5.1 "proper" in the typical residential setting, all things acoustic considered, is a daunting task at best. Equipment sales reps will never tell anyone that (like most reps would know the gory details  <_< ), yet AE designers / installers charge accordingly.

Or electronics.    
Or the room, furniture, processing....etc. 

:emotion-21:  Exactly....but getting 5.1 "proper" in the typical residential setting, all things acoustic considered, is a daunting task at best. Equipment sales reps will never tell anyone that (like most reps would know the gory details  <_< ), yet AE designers / installers charge accordingly...

Honestly, it's actually easier today than it was 10 to 15 years ago, but I agree if perfection is the goal not many are going to go through the process either physically or financially, imo.

Fwiw, I think most people want to have a GREAT picture and an easy setup speaker system for their multipurpose room that sounds better than stereo from the tv. Otoh, those going to more trouble and have dedicated theaters, either like to DIY to get the best bang for their buck or are rich enough to contract out. B)

The internet has become an excellent tool for all and does anyone know what the most asked question to Klipsch CS is?