Virgin ears and original fortés

davidt

Welcome to the forum David, and congrats on your new Forte's!  I see no need to rush into changing anything immediately.  I would spend a lot of time just listening and enjoying them with only tweaking their positioning and distance from your sweet spot and the distance from the wall.  Maybe start with 18" from the wall.  Throw on your favorite LP's and simply sit back relax and listen.  If you find you are hearing anything peculiar or out of whack, note it and bring it back to your thread here with specifics and the helpful members here will continue to chime in.  After all, you said you just got them from the original owner with boxes, etc..  Enjoy and welcome, again.  Oh yeah, and post pictures of your new Forte's.   :emotion-19:

• Like 4

Maybe start with 18" from the wall.  Throw on your favorite LP's and simply sit back relax and listen.

Wonderful advice!  They were definitely too close to the corners.  Pulling them out a bit really woke them up.  Zappa never sounded better!   :D

Edited by davidt
  • Like 2

No need for recapping or new diaphragms on these models. Absolutely not. If it ain't broke etc. Please listen to them for 30 days first and see if you don't enjoy their sound as is. I think too often we stampede to the modifications sand box without a proper initial listen. They are modifications, not necessarily 'upgrades' in my opinion. 

• Like 4

Colter's Rule ' Begin with placement from the wall a distance equal to the sum of the diameter of the rear-mounted ports or passive radiators. '

On a forte, that would be 12".

If in a corner, pull them out so about 1-2 clearance on either side. 

• Like 2

No need for recapping or new diaphragms on these models. Absolutely not. If it ain't broke etc. Please listen to them for 30 days first and see if you don't enjoy their sound as is. I think too often we stampede to the modifications sand box without a proper initial listen. They are modifications, not necessarily 'upgrades' in my opinion. 

Good advice.

Also, after the 30 days, take a peek inside, maybe they have already been "modified", "refreshed", "upgraded". ;)  :D

Bill

Good advice.

Also, after the 30 days, take a peek inside, maybe they have already been "modified", "refreshed", "upgraded". ;)  :D

Bill

After finding a sweeter spot for them, I am not so much in a hurry to put them out of commision.  30 days is a good call, thank you.  

Bill, I was lucky enough to get them from a lady who purchased them when she lived in Arkansas and she said they are completely original.  

A bonus gift too!  

post-61384-0-25340000-1435155385_thumb.j

post-61384-0-31260000-1435155426_thumb.j

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!  The more you listen to your Fortes, the more you will love them.  Still one of my favorite Klipsch speakers!

Thank you.  I am really enjoying them.  Already know that I made the right choice!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I noticed that I rarely see threads that don't "leave you hanging" as to the outcome.  I have decided to report back and say that I can't find any reason to make any changes to these speakers.  They have sounded good with anything I have attached to them.  

That said, I will tell you that I have moved on to finding something to push them that I like.  One of the earliest threads that I read on this forum said that Klipsch speakers will end up making you want to upgrade the rest of your system and I find that true.   I started out with my Pioneer SX-1250, then my Marantz 2325, both of which I like, but something was missing.  I came across a deal on a Mcintosh MA6300 which I thought would hit the spot and while it sounded good, still something was missing which is hard to put my finger on, or ear.

More reading (I love this forum!), and the idea of tubes was planted.  I made contact with a wonderful gentleman named Pat Hickman of Classic Tube Audio in Camas, WA.  He let me check out his stock which had a museum of sorts of historic gear, some really cool equipment ready to refurbish, his lab and he let me pick his brain on some questions I had about tube audio.  He's even built his own amp that did well at T.H.E. Newport show.  His knowledge of tube audio spans 50+ years and he was gracious and patient and helped me on a path on which I still feel I need a striped cane.  

Lo and behold a Scott 299 C tube amp and tuner are on their way to my place and then straight to him for a rebuild.  The follow up to this will be somewhere in the Talkin' Tubes thread.

• Like 1

You really don't need a lot power unless you really like to blast the music.  I use my tube hybird whic is 80 watts on the Forte's and rarley use more than a few watt.  You can always have SS for those occassional crazy loud sessions.  Just get a Niles amp switcher.  I used one to swith between the hybird amp and the Acurus SS 200 watt amp.

• Like 1