Klipsch Shorthorn Rebel project

A very nice and generous forum member provided three empty cabinets to me  and I'm considering how to renovate them.  The cabinets are only 1/2" walls with no bracing with a long tall slit in the back to allow some partial horn loading along the sides. 

I'm thinking of rehabbing these and using Heresy components.  The mid horn cutout is only 1.5" tall so a Heresy horn won't work and I'll have to recut.  I calculated about 3cf internally which is larger than the 2cf Heresy cabinet.  I plan on removing the front board and adding 1/2" mdf to cut down vibrations with some front to back and side to side bracing and replace any broken parts.

I'm not sure how the Heresy woofers would work in the slot loaded horn.  Anyone know what woofer was used in this model.  I may just have to do some listening.  Cabinet is too small for a K-33.  I plan on using all new top board veneered in cherry as well as the motorboard and flanking solid wood panels on the front.  Any ideas appreciated.  Thanks.

post-21976-0-90180000-1435080012_thumb.j

post-21976-0-16980000-1435080021_thumb.j

post-21976-0-29580000-1435080030_thumb.j

post-21976-0-98460000-1435080048_thumb.j

• Like 1

That midrange slot is designed for the K-1000 horn, it would be difficult but if you want to keep them as original as possible I would begin the quest to locating some.

Love your avatar by the way.  "A bomb did somebody order one"?

Edited by Frzninvt
  • Like 1

i believe the woofer cutout is 10" but a 15" woofer was used from the factory

finding the K-1000 horn would be very difficult to find let alone 2 of them but i wouldn't cut up the cab to make a k-700 fit.

i have a complete Model H ( the one in the middle picture ) and have located a second k-1000 horn i'm just waiting to find a 4R crossover to finish the second one

post-12513-0-30380000-1435166761_thumb.j

Edited by Budman
  • Like 2

Thanks for responses guys this helps.  Sounds like a tall task to find two K-1000 mid horns.  If i'm going to not recut the motorboard then I'll have to get the matching tweeter as well.  I may end up recutting the board for a larger mid horn and possible tweeter horn or I could go with a      two way?????   Lots to think about.

Frizninvt, my wife thinks I'm crazy when I quote lines from the Pink Panther movies.  I get so tickles I'm about to cry and she just sits and looks at me like I've lost my mine.  One of my favorite quotes on the boooommmbb. 

"Does your dog bite????"

• Like 1

Thanks Budman, I thought it would be close after I measured last night but haven't put one of my K-77 tweeter up to it.  Looks like it is rear mounted since there is no cutout to allow front mounting.  I've got some 8 x 12" PE horns that I used in other setups that sound good I can use if I decide to modify the motorboard.  I also have some EVX2121 15" woofers that could work in this cabinet but I'll need to the numbers to see f3 etc.  Thanks.  

• Like 1

Or keep that motorboard and start fresh with your Heresy/Shorthorn project. 

I have a Shorthorn that my uncle built from a kit while at Purdue in the 1950's, being a poor student, he installed a single coaxial University (?) driver in it. 

• Like 2

Hi Michael, thanks for the post.  I'm leaning toward the Heresy type components in this cabinet right now.  I've got two EV 920-8B  12" coaxials I could try in these but haven't run the numbers yet on that setup.

Have you considered going two way with the Bob Crites CS-1T configuration? since you are not going the restoration rout. Best regards Moray James

http://www.critesspeakers.com/crites-cs-1-speaker-project.html

• Like 1

Hi Moray, as always I appreciate your comments.

Since this cabinet is about 3cf I may just go with the Heresy 3 way since I have the components and xovers.  I've got two sets of Heresys in cabinets that I've been meaning to redo the cabinets and upgrade the caps but haven't had the time.  I may just go with those components in a bigger box which should give me better bass.  I've done this before and the sound was great  (see Pic with Heresy components in bigger box (with PE 8 x 12" horn)).  The cabinet may be a bit too small for the EV2121 15" woofers which I also have which are knockout woofers.

post-21976-0-25180000-1435181360_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi Michael, thanks for the post. I'm leaning toward the Heresy type components in this cabinet right now. I've got two EV 920-8B 12" coaxials I could try in these but haven't run the numbers yet on that setup.

I like the idea of modern components as close to original as possible; maybe Crites...