Be Careful What You Wish For

The History Kid

Yesterday I had quite the experience that just makes a chaser/spotter giddy with joy and others cringe.

I walked into my store to work at around 330, and by 4 the sky was turning black. It was around then that my phone and headset started going crazy about a SVR Storm Warning. 60 MPH winds was the advertised hazard. So, in my mind I'm thinking "I'm tired of HEARING about the 60 MPH winds always happening, this time, I better damn well get to see some 60 MPH winds."

Well, it started to rain around 410, really coming down - then it seemingly stopped being breeze for a moment. I'm ringing up customers, when all of a sudden the doors to the store get ripped open, there's a loud crash, and debris starts flying into the store. Was quite the sight.

When it all died down a minute later and everyone in the store regained their composure, we noted two cars in the parking lot had their windows blown out and some siding from two stores down was ripped down. Next door to us, the roof had been blown up - creating a huge hole in the ceiling. In addition to that, several parking lot signs had been blown over, a concrete bus bench had been blown into the street, and there was plenty of garbage, dirt, and tree leaves in the parking lot.

post-58712-0-54520000-1436292784_thumb.jpost-58712-0-27200000-1436292789_thumb.jpost-58712-0-31240000-1436292793_thumb.j

As we had checked to make sure that everyone was okay (we had the two customers with window damage - who were in our store - pull up to the curb so we could clean their vehicles out for them), I called the storm report in. No more than 5 minutes goes by and well...this goes out:

post-58712-0-62960000-1436292897_thumb.j

Followed immediately by the sirens.

While I'm sure it was traumatizing for the customers (the lady with the back window blown out was almost hysterical), it was one of those tickle-me moments for me. Interesting note, my car was two lengths away from the vehicles that had damage. The only adverse thing that happened to my car was that it refused to let me start it for about 5 minutes when I went to head home, indicating the vehicle was in "distress mode." It since has been fine.

Local media reported on the damage in a blurb:

http://kwqc.com/2015/07/07/southpark-mall-sees-damage-from-mondays-storm/

The non-official report that the NWS relayed back to me is estimated winds of 74 to 87 mph - which seems to fit the pattern of damage more than a tornado.

Never a dull day at my work.

• Like 4

A couple years ago I was inside of a car when something like this happened. Gusts were up around 70 mph but I was in between two buildings that were facing in a little and the alleyway created a funnel. I inadvertently parted broadside to it and tried to go inside. I knew it was about to rain but figured worst case I'd just get wet. I get out of the car and tried to cross the road to go into this small post office but then the gust came. I was halfway across the road when it hit. The wind was so powerful I could not get the rest of the way across the road, I was leaning at a steep angle and still couldn't make it, I had to stumble back to the car and I squatted down to dodge the wind and was able to open the door. I got inside and the wind was trying to pick the thing up and turn it over. The wind picked up some kind of debris, probably a small rock, and shot it at my window, which shattered. I assumed that's what happened at least, I just know it busted. I had window tint so that kept it together but otherwise it would be all over the place. It calmed down enough I was able to get into the post office and just stayed there for about an hour, they made everybody go into a supply closet.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Honestly, my worst weather stories are from wind, not tornadoes. I think straight-line winds are worse than a tornado, especially when they come with derecho's (IMO, a derecho is about 5x worse than the strongest tornado due to the widespread coverage of the damage it causes).

I recall my first year at Maryville, and there was a tornado on the ground nearby, Public Safety was having us all evacuate our apartments to the laundry room. Well, one of our roommates was napping at the time, so I went back up to the room with a public safety officer. Shawn went back down, I grabbed my phone and a flash light in case things got ugly. Well, on the way back down a gust of wind picked both me, and the P.Safety officer up off the ground and put us into a wall. That lasted probably about 30 seconds, though it felt like minutes. I had some scratches, but other than that...all was fine. The tornado actually had passed over 3 miles away from our campus.

Still, like I say...wind is very much the underestimated factor in storms.

The tornado actually had passed over 3 miles away from our campus.

We were in the middle of a Jimmy Buffett concert and a tornado touched down 2 miles away. Wind was getting fairly strong, rain coming down in sheets, lightning around us and orange heat lightning above us. It was getting really bad and Jimmy stopped in the middle of a song and started playing "trying to reason with the hurricane season" while perfectly calm as if it were planned special effects. Apparently he has done that on multiple occasions.

My cousin actually survived a tornado, got woken up in the middle of the night to the sound of one. She went to the closet, and the entire roof of the house got ripped off and thrown into a field with her in the closet watching it all happen. Nuts. Unfortunately she died of cancer not that long afterwards.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I love bad weather, but not the kind that removes houses and or kills people.

Yeah. I think the closest I have ever been to anything like that was the Pekin, IL outbreak. I don't mind not seeing that again.

Ibiza...i missed a LOT of posts lately...did you ever get that new car?

:)

post-58712-0-07920000-1436301899_thumb.jpost-58712-0-16720000-1436301922_thumb.j

• Like 1

I love bad weather

I purposely built my back porch so that it's partially enclosed so I could sit outside in storms. :) I don't really enjoy extreme weather but I love a nasty thunderstorm. It's kind of a love/hate relationship though because growing up we got hit by lighting so many times that I always have to unplug every electronic device in the entire house which gets old.

• Like 1

I purposely built my back porch so that it's partially enclosed so I could sit outside in storms. :) I don't really enjoy extreme weather but I love a nasty thunderstorm. It's kind of a love/hate relationship though because growing up we got hit by lighting so many times that I always have to unplug every electronic device in the entire house which gets old.

That's almost exactly what we used to do on campus. :lol:

Right on Dude...hope you're lovin it.

I got rid of my BMW 528 and now drive a 2015  Ford Flex...I soon hope to begin the Endless Roadtrip.

She's already been on three chases and didn't bat an eye. One of those was through a flooded street at the bottom of a hill. The other one included an EF3 tornado. However, one of my fellow chasers was not as lucky, as their Charger got totally flipped. He was fine - but his car was totaled.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

That's almost exactly what we used to do on campus. :lol: 

Right on Dude...hope you're lovin it.I got rid of my BMW 528 and now drive a 2015  Ford Flex...I soon hope to begin the Endless Roadtrip.

She's already been on three chases and didn't bat an eye. One of those was through a flooded street at the bottom of a hill. The other one included an EF3 tornado. However, one of my fellow chasers was not as lucky, as their Charger got totally flipped. He was fine - but his car was totaled.
You're Batman.
  • Like 1

I love bad weather, but not the kind that removes houses and or kills people.

Yeah. I think the closest I have ever been to anything like that was the Pekin, IL outbreak. I don't mind not seeing that again.

Ibiza...i missed a LOT of posts lately...did you ever get that new car?

:)

attachicon.gif11357239_988916537799559_1764559818072220166_o.jpgattachicon.gif11406182_988916417799571_5784017417832197219_o.jpg

That should get the center here in STYLE!

Mark

• Like 1

I hope your postman is OK.

He surely is, the Iowa side didn't see the action Illinois did. He also brought me some wonderful spices to try this evening. :)

We are getting hammered here in Paducah KY. Everybody staying at area hotels woke up to find their cars under water this morning. Its been nuts.

We had 8 1/2" yesterday, there were several SAR teams running around in the area, but nothing in my immediate area other than flooded storm sewers.

You're Batman.

I AM THE DARKNESS!!!

That should get the center here in STYLE!

Psh, I'm always stylin'. The center would be fly with just me holding it. :P

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 2