Extra Atmos Eye Candy

Nismo

Question on the Emotiva mini.

When calibrating, my front modules were getting 125wpc from the Denon & the rear modules were getting 50wpc from the Emotiva. (Not scientific), but noticed the "chirp" with Audyssey was distinctly softer/quieter with the rear modules (they should have been matching). So, I turned the volume up on the Emotiva & restarted calibration. Adjusted volume until I got the fronts & rear modules to match with my (analog) SPL meter. I figured establishing a "matching" volume (prior to Audyssey) was the right thing to do, that way Audyssey had less adjustment/compensation to make during set actual up.

Is that the correct (preliminary) method, when setting the volume with the mini? 

Right now I have it around 5-1/2... which still leaves me room to adjust it higher as needed.

Yr0Akn.jpg

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

I don't get it! Why did you pick heigh channels? Why not Dolby ones? That picture of the layout of your room makes no sense compared to what your actually rockin. Modules front and back right?

Quick follow up to the "height" assignments. (selecting the Dolby /Dolby surrounds would mimic traditional heights).

For Atmos, connect to heights via terminal or pre-out.

Here is info from both Dolby & Denon when connecting speakers for Atmos:

N3V5J4.jpg

YtPWOh.jpg

Question on the Emotiva mini.

When calibrating, my front modules were getting 125wpc from the Denon & the rear modules were getting 50wpc from the Emotiva. (Not scientific), but noticed the "chirp" with Audyssey was distinctly softer/quieter with the rear modules (they should have been matching). So, I turned the volume up on the Emotiva & restarted calibration. Adjusted volume until I got the fronts & rear modules to match with my (analog) SPL meter. I figured establishing a "matching" volume (prior to Audyssey) was the right thing to do, that way Audyssey had less adjustment/compensation to make during set actual up.

Is that the correct (preliminary) method, when setting the volume with the mini?

Right now I have it around 5-1/2... which still leaves me room to adjust it higher as needed.

Yr0Akn.jpg

yes that sound correct. As long as the ones you were adjusting with were at 0 before being corrected.

Guys, we don't expect you to just take our word for it on anything. What I can tell you is that the Atmos spec is extremely specific, because if you were to just copy the angle and fire a speaker upwards, you would not get anything but immediately localizable speakers. Jay L worked his absolute *** off for good over a year on meeting that spec. For those worried that it can't keep up with their larger mains, don't worry: that's also part of the spec.

The passive filtering inside one tiny 140SA module is about as complex as that in your front mains and center combined. This is necessary to meet the directivity and frequency response requirements. The result Jay came up with was so good that at CES this year, Dolby was sending people to our Atmos demo because it showcased their technology better than what they brought themselves.

For those of an audio inclination, this is similar to a passively beam-steered speaker, which is typically done only with active electronics. The upward rake is merely the starting point. So please everyone, doubt if you will, but take it from me given that I wasn't involved in it, but the Atmos line is easily one of the most complex and involved developments we've done in a very long time. It is definitely a game changing experience.

As you were. :)

Edited by DaveWJr
  • Like 4

No problem! In fact, Jay L was so dedicated to this line (I am not exaggerating or joking), that he went into our primary theatre listening room, ripped off the ceiling acoustic treatment that had been there for years, climbed up over the room, and cut 4 holes through what seemed like 8" of drywall, acoustic foam and insulation, and installed a false ceiling that replicates an average consumer's living room. All of this was to install permanent in-ceiling speakers to make sure that the upfiring module and integrated towers give at least as good as an experience as proper overhead speakers. They do, and many of us (myself included) believe it's more convincing than the discrete in ceilings. All of this effort, just for this one project. 

So if anyone is wondering why a few pages back he was seriously defending this speaker, there you have it and a bit more. :)

Edited by DaveWJr
  • Like 2

But why put them on the top of your FR and FL speaker... does not seem to make sense.

One of the key elements of Atmos—is to create specific object-based audio above the listener. 

There are 2 ways to achieve this:

1: Ceiling speakers

2: Upward firing elevation speakers (add-on modules) 

Not everyone will have the ability or desire to begin cutting holes in their ceiling, determining proper placement, running new wire, etc., for a full ceiling speaker install.  Thus the introduction of an entirely new speaker category: the upward firing elevation speaker. The RP140-SA is specifically designed & engineered to deliver Atmos content, meeting the Dolby Atmos spec (crossover/FR/sensitivity). They are actually designed to sit on top of existing towers (for home applications, Dolby designed the tech to work with a range of ceiling heights & MLP distances based on the typical home theater environment).

In addition to meeting Dolby Atmos spec, the add-on modules serve another purpose. Many people are perfectly content with their existing towers (I know that I have no desire to replace my RF-7's). So the addition of the modules are the perfect solution.

I added a pair of Onkyo SKH-410 Speakers and listened to some downloadable Atmos Demos and a couple Atmos movies.  (The Dolby Atmos Experience free download from Vudu) Like someone else (sorry, I don't remember) I ran some with all the other speakers unplugged.  These guys did a good job of putting out some strong sound all by themselves.  I can only imagine what the RP-140SA's are capable of, I probably should have saved a bit and got those instead.  I am still working on where to place them for the best results and I might end up having to go with ceiling speakers.  I have some I-beams that are poorly placed for Home Theater, but I am sure a structural engineer would be able to tell me why I need them right where they are.  :).

I previously have always been in a 5.1(2) setup and adding the Front Height / Atmos speakers really add a lot.  I notice them even when it isn't Atmos content.

Nismo, thanks for all of your information.  I needed a new receiver and figured I would try Atmos based on some of the experiences I have read here.  I am very glad I did!!

I am hoping that Dolby Atmos and DTS-X doesn't turn into a Beta vs VHS or a HD-DVD vs Blu Ray....(I had Beta and HD-DVD)...I don't seem to back the right factions on these format wars.

.....What I can tell you is that the Atmos spec is extremely specific, because if you were to just copy the angle and fire a speaker upwards, you would not get anything but immediately localizable speakers. Jay L worked his absolute *** off for good over a year on meeting that spec.

.....The result Jay came up with was so good that at CES this year, Dolby was sending people to our Atmos demo because it showcased their technology better than what they brought themselves.

Sounds like a man on a mission, especially considering he was starting from scratch, going flat out from zero-to-60. Glad to know Jay not only accepted the challenge, but that he met the challenge with Dolby's approval. I knew from day one I wanted upward firing speakers. And I knew I wanted them from Klipsch. A big thanks to Jay from me— as I wanted these RP-140SA's long before I even knew they were in development. Well done.

I added a pair of Onkyo SKH-410 Speakers and listened to some downloadable Atmos Demos and a couple Atmos movies.  (The Dolby Atmos Experience free download from Vudu) Like someone else (sorry, I don't remember) I ran some with all the other speakers unplugged.  These guys did a good job of putting out some strong sound all by themselves.  I can only imagine what the RP-140SA's are capable of, I probably should have saved a bit and got those instead.  I am still working on where to place them for the best results and I might end up having to go with ceiling speakers.  I have some I-beams that are poorly placed for Home Theater, but I am sure a structural engineer would be able to tell me why I need them right where they are.   :).

I previously have always been in a 5.1(2) setup and adding the Front Height / Atmos speakers really add a lot.  I notice them even when it isn't Atmos content.

Nismo, thanks for all of your information.  I needed a new receiver and figured I would try Atmos based on some of the experiences I have read here.  I am very glad I did!!

I am hoping that Dolby Atmos and DTS-X doesn't turn into a Beta vs VHS or a HD-DVD vs Blu Ray....(I had Beta and HD-DVD)...I don't seem to back the right factions on these format wars.

Congrats on your Onkyo TX-NR83, that AVR appears to have assignable pre-out for the addition of rear heights. That way you'll be able to go from 5.1.2 — to 5.1.4  (when you are ready to expand & add an external amp) in the future. I doubt there will be a format war (like Blu-ray & HD-DVD). I can see Atmos & DTS:X moving forward as separate formats, as both have a completely different approach with object based audio. For years DD & DTS have coexisted as competing formats with various evolving codecs, should be no different now. Atmos has maintained  a presence with Commercial Movie Theaters since 2012, so that support will continue to grow in the future. 

• Like 1

So please everyone, doubt if you will, but take it from me given that I wasn't involved in it, but the Atmos line is easily one of the most complex and involved developments we've done in a very long time. It is definitely a game changing experience.

No doubting on my part.  I am excited about your new products and hope for great success and for Klipsch to own the template on how best to implement Atmos products.

Bill

But why put them on the top of your FR and FL speaker... does not seem to make sense.

Because research by Dolby indicated that placement worked good. The angle of the speaker has to do with the reason for placement. I just left Dolby labs of Burbank. Great experience, we left a lasting impression with our Atmos system. I know we did, because we made pieces fall out of their ceiling. :)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk