Just pulled the trigger on a pair of Cornwall 1.5? I think.

Rjk1972

• Moderators

What were you using before these ? is this your first Klipsch or heritage ?

Just wondering, either way I will bet you will like them, they look good.

Me, I would just listen to them for a good while before updating the crossover (because of age), get to know how they sound as is. Just check to make sure all drivers are working by listening up close. 

Have fun and Welcome

• Like 2

Me, I would just listen to them for a good while before updating the crossover (because of age), get to know how they sound as is. Just check to make sure all drivers are working by listening up close.

Have fun and Welcome

They will be replacing a pair of Heresy. I've also heard the Cornwall 2 several times as well as the Chorus 2. I had originally been looking for a pair of Cornwall 2 so I could drop an ALK crossover into it. Heard a speaker set up like that and liked it. Or if I could find a pair, and I could make room for them, a pair of Chorus 2. I just couldn't pass up these and theyre only a 5 hour drive away.

• Moderators

I don't blame you it sounds like a good deal, I think your going to be really happy with these. I really like the Heresy, I actually listen more hours to Heresy's than anything because of where there at,  but having the Cornwalls full time at your house is going to be a big change in sound.

• Like 1

Have fun and Welcome

They will be replacing a pair of Heresy. I've also heard the Cornwall 2 several times as well as the Chorus 2. I had originally been looking for a pair of Cornwall 2 so I could drop an ALK crossover into it. Heard a speaker set up like that and liked it. Or if I could find a pair, and I could make room for them, a pair of Chorus 2. I just couldn't pass up these and theyre only a 5 hour drive away.

What's stopping you from dropping an ALK crossover in the Cornwall 1.5's?  I have ALK's in my Cornwall I's and I'm pretty sure the Cornscala-wall would work in your 1.5's. Somebody let me know if I'm wrong  :unsure: !!! 

Edited by prerich
  • Like 2

Have fun and Welcome

What's stopping you from dropping an ALK crossover in the Cornwall 1.5's? I have ALK's in my Cornwall I's and I'm pretty sure the Cornscala-wall would work in your 1.5's. Somebody let me know if I'm wrong :unsure: !!!

That's the plan. I figure I'll keep them as is for a couple of months then drop in a set of his new universal crossovers. Then depending on how they do I might see if I can grab a set of k55v and the fastrac midhorn and do a little internal bracing. Then lastly find some cane grills.

I'm also tempted to try out the Crites tweaters.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I've never heard the fastrac horn, but just from the way it looks it should sound nice. Cane grills and extra bracing is always a good thing. I have some Crites tweaters and like them,  but never really listened side by side to compare.

It will be interesting to hear what you think of them just as they come.

Well I picked them up and set them up and just finished playing a 1977 NM pressing of Supertramp's "Even in the Quietest Moments" and wow. Just plain wow. As of now I have no desire to do anything to these speakers. They blew the doors off my Heresy. Oh and they came with all the original manuals, brochures, boxes, and sales receipt from October 11th 1985. I'll try and post some pics of everything next week. That is when I plan on taking off the backs and checking the internals. They literally look like they were just pulled out of the boxes and set up for the first time.

I do have two questions. First question. I read the original manual and it states 98db/1watt and minimum amplifier power of 20 watts. I always thought all Cornwalls were over 100db efficient and could be played with 3 watt SET amps. Was Klipsch just being overly conservative. Which years are over 100db efficient.

Question 2. Any recommendations on a oil or cleaner or wax for them. I'm looking for something to maintain that veneer.

And while I'm typing this I just noticed I have a bit of audible hum and it is definitely coming from my phone power supply. Just grounded it to my Fisher with my hand and now hum is gone. These speakers are very revealing. I'm going to need to vacuum clean all my albums. They sound amazing.

Only complaint is, that after having them set up for an afternoon, I realize I could have maybe squeezed some Altec Model 19s in. But then again they probably wouldn't sound good in corners like the Cornwalls.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Well I picked them up and set them up and just finished playing a 1977 NM pressing of Supertramp's "Even in the Quietest Moments" and wow. Just plain wow. As of now I have no desire to do anything to these speakers. They blew the doors off my Heresy.

Ok, I know when you were reading my other post and thinking I was being silly trying to give you an idea it was going to be a big difference, I will now say seeeee :o  :P

But really it sounds like you got a steal and I am really glad you like the new sound, it's more than just the extra bass, and I say this really liking the Heresy.

Sorry I can't help with the questions, but that is still 98 db with one watt with more power to spare. I don't think you would hear a 2 db increase at 98 db, not enough to worry about, it could be different drivers/horns over the years ? ( 98 is pretty high in the speaker world )

As far as cleaning them, I don't remember if there oiled of clear ? If clear just wipe off with a damp cloth, if oiled they can be oiled with a number of different oils, I use Boiled Linseed oil others use many different things, you will get different opinions.

Really glad your going to not rush into any changes, get to know the sound as is first there is always time for a crossover improvement later.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

" I read the original manual and it states 98db/1watt and minimum amplifier power of 20 watts. I always thought all Cornwalls were over 100db efficient and could be played with 3 watt SET amps. Was Klipsch just being overly conservative. Which years are over 100db efficient."

The original spec was 98.5dB/2.83V/4' which you need to add 1.7dB to convert to 1M.

If you use the T/S parameters for the later K33E (Eminence 15162) and plug them into Bass Box Pro v6.0 and select 'extended bass' it spits out the exact design for a Cornwall and it says it is 101dB/2.83V/1M in the 100hz~400hz region.

• Like 2

Well I picked them up and set them up and just finished playing a 1977 NM pressing of Supertramp's "Even in the Quietest Moments" and wow. Just plain wow. As of now I have no desire to do anything to these speakers. They blew the doors off my Heresy.

Ok, I know when you were reading my other post and thinking I was being silly trying to give you an idea it was going to be a big difference, I will now say seeeee :o:P

But really it sounds like you got a steal and I am really glad you like the new sound, it's more than just the extra bass, and I say this really liking the Heresy.

Sorry I can't help with the questions, but that is still 98 db with one watt with more power to spare. I don't think you would hear a 2 db increase at 98 db, not enough to worry about, it could be different drivers/horns over the years ? ( 98 is pretty high in the speaker world )

As far as cleaning them, I don't remember if there oiled of clear ? If clear just wipe off with a damp cloth, if oiled they can be oiled with a number of different oils, I use Boiled Linseed oil others use many different things, you will get different opinions.

Really glad your going to not rush into any changes, get to know the sound as is first there is always time for a crossover improvement later.

You are totally right. I was not expecting this big a difference. They are amazing speakers. They just crush my Heresy and Vandersteen speakers in everyway imaginable. I like the Heresy but that midrange hump they have would get annoying. The Cornwall seem much more coherent and alive from top to bottom. So far I really love the midrange they have and can't imagine wanting to change out to a different horn. Spent all day listening to records and was just amazed. They are very revealing speakers though and I just realized tonight that my DSD mastered Beggars Banquet is actually a little flat and lifeless sounding compared to my older Decca Stones albums. That and I am definitely going to have to invest in a good record cleaning machine. I think my next purchase is going to be that VPI16.5.

Thanks for the advice

• Like 1

" I read the original manual and it states 98db/1watt and minimum amplifier power of 20 watts. I always thought all Cornwalls were over 100db efficient and could be played with 3 watt SET amps. Was Klipsch just being overly conservative. Which years are over 100db efficient."

The original spec was 98.5dB/2.83V/4' which you need to add 1.7dB to convert to 1M.

If you use the T/S parameters for the later K33E (Eminence 15162) and plug them into Bass Box Pro v6.0 and select 'extended bass' it spits out the exact design for a Cornwall and it says it is 101dB/2.83V/1M in the 100hz~400hz region.

Thanks! I missed where it said 4 feet. That is very interesting about the T/S perameters. I think I read some where that the original Cornwall were designed before Theil/Small came out with their research. If that's true, well done Paul Klipsch.

Can someone tell me how to post pics or point me to where that information is? Thanks. Would like to post some pictures of these beautiful mint CWO Cornwalls and pull the backs off and figure out what's inside them

• Like 1

Well I picked them up and set them up and just finished playing a 1977 NM pressing of Supertramp's "Even in the Quietest Moments" and wow. Just plain wow. As of now I have no desire to do anything to these speakers. They blew the doors off my Heresy. Oh and they came with all the original manuals, brochures, boxes, and sales receipt from October 11th 1985. I'll try and post some pics of everything next week. That is when I plan on taking off the backs and checking the internals. They literally look like they were just pulled out of the boxes and set up for the first time.

I do have two questions. First question. I read the original manual and it states 98db/1watt and minimum amplifier power of 20 watts. I always thought all Cornwalls were over 100db efficient and could be played with 3 watt SET amps. Was Klipsch just being overly conservative. Which years are over 100db efficient.

Question 2. Any recommendations on a oil or cleaner or wax for them. I'm looking for something to maintain that veneer.

And while I'm typing this I just noticed I have a bit of audible hum and it is definitely coming from my phone power supply. Just grounded it to my Fisher with my hand and now hum is gone. These speakers are very revealing. I'm going to need to vacuum clean all my albums. They sound amazing.

Only complaint is, that after having them set up for an afternoon, I realize I could have maybe squeezed some Altec Model 19s in. But then again they probably wouldn't sound good in corners like the Cornwalls.

Dizrotus, a member here has , as well as others posted topics on record cleaning in the archive still. Just use searchwords in the search forum feature of page. Reams of info sometimes...glad you like you Corns... :)

Thanks. Now I can throw up a few pics once I'm done with a stretch of work.

I've got a set of HBRs in nice shape. Enjoyed listening to them for the last couple of years but they have a midrange/midbass hump that was starting to grate on me and I really wanted some more bass. The Cornwalls were just the ticket.

Here's a line on some K55v drivers and you can sell the metal K700's to make up for the cost.  The K53' in your CW's now are probably bolt on's so you'll need the Fastracs to get those workin'. Or you could just use the K700 horns but I've heard a lot about those things ringing.

BTW $135 for a pair of K-55v's is a helluva deal! They can easily sell for that much a piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLIPSCH-K-700-METAL-HORNS-WITH-K-55-V-DRIVERS-/311420409822?hash=item48821a57de

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 1

You can do a very simple mod to the crossovers in the HBRs, that will balance out the midrange and let you enjoy them. I'll find the schematic with the change and post it for you.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 3