Onkyo Hooked Wakejunkie Up! (Plus an update on Wake)

Youthman

• Moderators

Several months ago, I purchased a huge lot of audio gear that included three Onkyo receivers (TX-NR5008, TX-NR1008 and TX-NR808).  I kept the 5008, sold the 808 and gave Wakejunkie the 1008.  Shortly after shipping it to him, he had an HDMI channel go out.  He contacted Onkyo and they paid to have it shipped back to them and replaced the HDMI board.  Within several months, he ended up sending it in two more times.  On the 4th time sending it in, they decided to hook him up with a Refurbished TX-NR1030 with a 1yr warranty!  It has some great upgrades from his previous 1008 (8 HDMI in, 3 HDMI out, XLR Main Preouts, Bluetooth & Wi-fi...).  He's pretty stoked.

He called me tonight to tell me that it came this evening.  That's pretty awesome considering the 1008 was out of warranty and he was not the original owner. 

Unfortunately, it is very likely that Wakejunkie will wake up tomorrow morning, walk into the kitchen to get breakfast and be completely surprised when he finds the Onkyo TX-1030.  Shaun is doing AMAZING considering he had 3 strokes about 6 months ago.  But the strokes pretty much fried his short term memory.  A few weeks ago, I brought 6 of my high schoolers up for a retreat.  We spent 4 days with wake and his family.  I mentioned the trip tonight to him and he doesn't remember us coming up at all.  The doctors say he has Vascular Dementia.  He remembers pretty much everything that was pre-stroke, but very little post-stroke. 

He definitely appreciates all of the prayers that have been lifted up for him.  He's still alive and for the most part, he is completely normal.  It could have been a whole lot worse and for that, he counts himself extremely blessed.

post-25073-0-09960000-1440123982_thumb.j

post-25073-0-87160000-1440123987_thumb.j

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 2

Thanks for the update, I was just sitting here the other day wondering how he was doing.  Was there any thought he will regain his short term memory abilities.  I don't know much how the brain works in these manners.  But yes, it sounds like he is doing fine other than the short term memory.  Glad to hear this. 

On the Onkyo note, I have a TX-NR509.  I paid $250.00 for it brand new over two years.  The networking card, and sound gave up at different times.  I was ready to through it out and purchase a new one. Before I pulled the trigger I had the ideal to research which lead me to contacting Onkyo.  Sure enough it was a common problem and they sent a prepaid box for shipping and fixed it for free.  I thought that was pretty top notch, even if it fails again at least I get a few more months out of warranty for nothing.  You would have thought the sales rep where I was shopping would have known this and mentioned it, but then again how would they make money.

Thanks for the update.

• Like 2

• Moderators
Was there any thought he will regain his short term memory abilities.

The Dr's really don't know.  Apart from a miracle, I don't believe so....but there's always hope.

Sure enough it was a common problem and they sent a prepaid box for shipping and fixed it for free.

When I purchase the lot, when I powered up the TX-NR5008 up for the first time, it was completely bricked (locked up).  I contacted Onkyo and like you, they sent me a prepaid shipping label and packing supplies (even packing tape!).  They replaced my HDMI Board and it's been working great every since. 

I have mixed feelings about Onkyo's quality control but their customer service seems to be outstanding.

• Like 3

Great news, so happy that WJ is doing good. That was pretty cool of Onkyo to send another receiver and Atmos enabled to boot. Might be some new surround formats in his HT in the near future.......

Thanks for the update!

• Like 1

• Moderators
Might be some new surround formats in his HT in the near future.......

Probably not anytime soon....he went back to work only for a month before the Dr. pulled him for more testing.  He hasn't been back to work since.  He hates it but he's currently filing for disability. 

Tell Sean we miss him and continue to pray for his recovery.

Will do Derrick.  Appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:01 PM duder1982, on 20 Aug 2015 - 7:57 PM, said: Was there any thought he will regain his short term memory abilities. The Dr's really don't know. Apart from a miracle, I don't believe so....but there's always hope.

It's not unheard of.  Some people do.  A researcher who once dealt with this was named something like Dr. Wicklegrin.