ATMOS - ceiling speakers vs. the up firing modules

Paducah Home Theater

For those in the know like Jay... I guess I'm going to have to just try both myself, but until I do, I can't get a good handle on which exactly is better, period... ceiling speakers like the CDT-5800c-ii's, or the new up-firing Atmos modules?  For full range sound like what was originally intended, surely it's got to be the ceiling speakers, but are they more localizable instead of enveloping?  Are the modules an easy solution to keep you from cutting your drywall with minimal trade-offs, or would you still actually choose them if cost and effort were no object?  

I bet there are not many people who have listened to both setups and can provide you with an objective answer.

We're in the process of installing 4 CDT-5650's and the choice was easy because we're starting from bare studs.

I understand that the localization issue with in-ceilings is dependent upon your ceiling height. Conversely, the upward firing modules lose their effectiveness with very high or vaulted ceilings.

What partially worries me is that in my room I have one row of four seats with the listening position 11' back from the long wall, and 4' behind me.  I can't seem to picture installing four of them in a way that is recommended.  Basically the back two would be right up against the wall, unless I centered them, then I'd be right underneath two, with the other two way out in front of me.  I can't see that this would be optimal.  

Don't get hung up on the full range aspect of it, it just isn't a big deal. How much output do you really expect to get below 150Hz from a 6-8" in an open baffle ceiling?

You don't want to be directly below a set of IC speakers either, it will be distracting. With the reflecting approach you really can't loose IMO. If you are in Indy, perhaps I could arrange a demo.

If you are in Indy, perhaps I could arrange a demo.

I'll have some upfiring ones here in a few days, I just don't know how they compare to the 5800's and don't want to trash my ceiling just to realize that maybe I should have went a different route.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

The reports i have heard say to use ceiling speakers if you can as the reflected is not as good as direct firing downward speakers. I have no choice but to run downward firing as I have acoustic panels installed on the ceiling for first reflection points.

I might be adding some atmos modules to my 5 speaker setup. My room is 15' wide x 11' deep with 8' flat ceilings. I do own the home but I will likely be renting it out within the next 2 years so I do not want to cut into the drywall. I do have a few questions first:

1.) Should I buy 4 Atmos modules or will 2 suffice for such a small room?

2.) Do you guys think the Atmos format will be adapted by the Comcast and othe regular programming?

3.) Any issues with using Atmos speaker modules with DTS-X?

If the only way to enjoy Atmos and DTS-X is on blu ray, I don't see the upgrade being worth the upgrade costs to me. If the technology will reach cable TV, specifically, NFL and MLB, I can see myself adopting rather quickly.

What are your guy's thoughts on the matter? Sorry for the noobish questions, I really haven't started educating myself just yet..

• Like 1

I might be adding some atmos modules to my 5 speaker setup. My room is 15' wide x 11' deep with 8' flat ceilings. I do own the home but I will likely be renting it out within the next 2 years so I do not want to cut into the drywall. I do have a few questions first:

1.) Should I buy 4 Atmos modules or will 2 suffice for such a small room?

2.) Do you guys think the Atmos format will be adapted by the Comcast and othe regular programming?

3.) Any issues with using Atmos speaker modules with DTS-X?

If the only way to enjoy Atmos and DTS-X is on blu ray, I don't see the upgrade being worth the upgrade costs to me. If the technology will reach cable TV, specifically, NFL and MLB, I can see myself adopting rather quickly.

What are your guy's thoughts on the matter? Sorry for the noobish questions, I really haven't started educating myself just yet..

From what I have heard... 5.1, and 7.1 movies even if they were not Atmos, will be upconverted (?) to Atmos making all of your movies Quazi Atmos. 

The reports i have heard say to use ceiling speakers if you can as the reflected is not as good as direct firing downward speakers.
I have not heard the modules, but I do have 4 In-ceiling speakers and really do love it. Tonight I was listening to the Dolby Atmos disc with the audio only files that go back and forth from 5.1 to Atmos, and there's such a big difference in the envelopment of sound you hear with Atmos. You probably can't go wrong with either the modules or the in-ceiling, IMO. 
  • Like 1

The reports i have heard say to use ceiling speakers if you can as the reflected is not as good as direct firing downward speakers.
I have not heard the modules, but I do have 4 In-ceiling speakers and really do love it. Tonight I was listening to the Dolby Atmos disc with the audio only files that go back and forth from 5.1 to Atmos, and there's such a big difference in the envelopment of sound you hear with Atmos. You probably can't go wrong with either the modules or the in-ceiling, IMO. 

I read some where that the recordings would be different to optimize for reflected vs in ceiling. From what I have read it appears that the reflected modules were for people that couldn't or wouldn't be able to mount on or in ceiling speakers...essentially to allow a bigger market to listen to Atmos even if it wouldn't sound as good as ceiling speakers.

Tonight I was listening to the Dolby Atmos disc with the audio only files that go back and forth from 5.1 to Atmos, and there's such a big difference in the envelopment of sound you hear with Atmos
heres the thing i hate about demo discs. they are designed to really showoff what its capable of. nothing wrong with that except there is no real world content that sounds that dang good. trust me i have the dolby atmos demo disc and i love it even on my 7.1 or 5.1 upstairs. you may even like it more in my setup than you would your own ;)    
  • Like 1

Tonight I was listening to the Dolby Atmos disc with the audio only files that go back and forth from 5.1 to Atmos, and there's such a big difference in the envelopment of sound you hear with Atmos
heres the thing i hate about demo discs. they are designed to really showoff what its capable of. nothing wrong with that except there is no real world content that sounds that dang good. trust me i have the dolby atmos demo disc and i love it even on my 7.1 or 5.1 upstairs. you may even like it more in my setup than you would your own ;)    

It might "sound good".... just as both DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD 7.1 can sound good.

But the Atmos codec fundamentally requires two things:

** The addition of 128 object paths (that pan anywhere within in a 3D space).

** And the addition of specific height information for overhead sound

To achieve those key aspects.... you need to be able to decode the new codec (the object info), the Dolby Atmos Renderer (to recognize your speaker configuration which include the overhead height plane). Demo disc or not, without an Atmos capable AVR or Processor you're not getting anything that Atmos offers. Your just reproducing a nice traditional height speaker setup. Two completely different experiences.

• Like 1

It might "sound good".... just as both DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD 7.1 can sound good.

But the Atmos codec fundamentally requires two things:

** The addition of 128 object paths (that pan anywhere within in a 3D space).

** And the addition of specific height information for overhead sound

To achieve those key aspects.... you need to be able to decode the new codec (the object info), the Dolby Atmos Renderer (to recognize your speaker configuration which include the overhead height plane). Demo disc or not, without an Atmos capable AVR or Processor you're not getting anything that Atmos offers. Your just reproducing a nice traditional height speaker setup. Two completely different experiences.

nismo you are super good writing lengthy responses pointing out the obvious. Lol. I already know I don't have an atmos receiver. And I also know that I don't have atmos ceiling speakers or modules. My statement was that I bet that 9 out of 10 people would enjoy my "cinema" setup vs the average joe's setup because my speakers are (sorry to say this) in a different league than most people's on here. That was all.
  • Like 2

There's no doubt your system is first rate, better than most. As good as it is now... I was simply saying, just imagine it when you can actually decode an Atmos track with all the metadata & objects added to the playback. Many are skeptical of Atmos (it's a gimmick, etc.) but it was tremendously (noticeably) different with my system.  If (when) you decide to go Atmos & determine a way to achieve overhead speakers in your space, it will be an unique experience for sure.

• Like 2