Can Reference still sound Musical ?

joessportster

Till Last night I was of the opinion the 2 could not co exist in 1 system,  Today I am eating my words.  There is no doubt it is a delicate balance To much resolution and things become analytical sounding, to little and you are left wanting

There is something to be said for Ignorance is Bliss, At this stage I feel like it would be very hard to have anything less and for the first time I am at a point I refuse to change  (I have said this before I know) I have built systems in the past that I thought had achieved a balance. Perhaps they had to some degree, I can say without hesitation I was substantially off the mark.

I am comfortable with the definition of PRAT now while still feeling like the overall sound is Musical

It is funny how everything just fell into place, A DAC I was kind of unhappy with, and an amp I considered selling, After getting the audiophilleo AP1 back from Phillip yesterday and getting the settings lined up the DAC took on new life and pairs with the amp in a way that is just bliss

So glad no one took me up on selling the DAC or Amp

Cheers Folks :D

I am comfortable with the definition of PRAT now while still feeling like the overall sound is Musical
Digging Paul Simon Graceland 25th anniversary version............outstanding

You want PRAT, fire up some "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover".  Love the snare drum intro.

Bill

The definition of PRAT.  (Not the common definition, but it's what the term PRAT makes me think of, at least.  Andre Miller with the impeccable timing, set to grooves put down by Curtis Fuller?  That's just pure awesomeness.)

I don't understand British slang it seems. Looked it up and I still don't get it, at least with the way you guys are using it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=prat

I have a hard time getting my head around to much resolution equalling bad sound... I have heard dac speaker amp combinationS that sound dry and flat. But I never thought that resolution alone would cause this... and frankly I can not get "to much resolution".

Resolution creates separation and dimension and allows the elements in music to occupy their own space, It helps resolve phasing/flanging. Without a reduction in distortion and jitter thru a greater ability to resolve, I would not be as happy as I am with the digital section of my system... I can easily say digital has begun to over take analog and that is only at 44.1hz. Up around 96hz+ it's not even close.

Phil Spector needs to be ostracized for his wall of sound approach to production.

Edited by Schu

Fully discrete, R2R DAC's done right, is as good as it gets IMO. My Totaldac is so far beyond any other DAC I have heard, it is not even funny. Pricey, yes, but if one wants off the merry go round, this will do it. Take your pick as to which Totaldac, as each one easily competes with anything double their price.

Heh!  Those upper end Totaldacs cost more than my first house!

Expensive they are..... Doubt they cost more than your current house though!

I hear it all the time. I'm an idiot for owning such a thing, when I can go buy a nice car for the money. Well, all I can do with a car is drive it. I have no remorse, whatsoever.

People have their priorities. I have mine.

Is this DAC $30K better than a $5K DAC? Depends on where your priorities lie  :)

• Like 2