One for the Educators in the crowd

joessportster

Son is in 3rd grade, and brought home a math sheet to complete, it deals with NOT REGROUPING in order to complete a subtraction equation

Link to a video

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/cc-third-grade-math/cc-3rd-add-sub-topic/cc-3rd-regrouping-3-dig/v/mental-technique-for-subtraction-without-regrouping

Now I only want to know 1 thing, How the heck is an 8 year old kid not to get confused with this, and further what the heck is the purpose, I am 50 years old and for the life of me I see no logical reason for teaching or solving math in this manner

Utterly Rediculas.....................

Can someone please tell me the reason for this, I am stupified  :angry:   I also love the fact that they send this crap home with ZERO instruction as though everyone in the world would have done math totally backwards

• Like 1

That right there is the wonderful CORE CIRRICULUM...isn't it great? Don't you feel good knowing how smart it's going to make people?

*P.S....I think a child would learn more about sarcasm in this post, than about Math in the provided video* Smdh

I'm still trying to understand how this takes less time to perform than a simple carrying method that students in the 20th century used. I am also still waiting to hear on the mathematicians that are actually using these formulas...as of yet, I've seen none. What I really don't get is how this works when variables and fractions come into play.

Common Core: Making students commonly dumb.

• Like 1

That right there is the wonderful CORE CIRRICULUM...isn't it great? Don't you feel good knowing how smart it's going to make people?

*P.S....I think a child would learn more about sarcasm in this post, than about Math in the provided video* Smdh

I think a child would be BETTER OFF learning more about Sarcasm than this crap, whats the point, if someone could tell me how this is supposed to improve on a math skill and demonstrate how it can help I am all ears.................

we teach here B-4 they ever started school and the boys know math but this convoluted crap serves only to confuse 

• Like 2

I'm still trying to understand how this takes less time to perform than a simple carrying method that students in the 20th century used. I am also still waiting to hear on the mathematicians that are actually using these formulas...as of yet, I've seen none. What I really don't get is how this works when variables and fractions come into play.

Common Core: Making students commonly dumb.

A perfect example of why we are moving to a home school friendly state like Mississippi as soon as I get settled

• Like 2

Math isn't the only thing that is getting torn apart...they're defunding arts, cutting civics and social sciences for the sake of arbitrary numbers across the board. I actually have several submissions packed in with a good few thousand others that was mailed to Congress via OAH earlier this month.

There's nothing to learn in schools right now. Let alone the lack of common sense being educated.

• Like 2

A perfect example of why we are moving to a home school friendly state like Mississippi as soon as I get settled

I failed grades 6 thru 8, dropped out in 9 after failing my first semester by not attending. Was given the beautiful title of delinquent dropout in January of '05. Yet somehow was still able to pass the GED test on the first round, and place into college in the first round. Again...schools are failing.

Guest thesloth

Everyone learns things differently. As long as you have the correct outcome who cares. Personally, I found myself doing that sort of stuff in my head too. When I was in school I would always have the correct answer but most of the time I found it in a different manner then they wanted. We would have to show our work and the teacher would argue I am doing it wrong.......ah duh how can I be doing it wrong if I have the correct answer? I always tested in the top 5% so I am not worried about how I got there. So my advice, if your child still can get the correct answer then who cares if it differs from what you were taught.

If a school teaches only one method of learning then it isn't a good school. They should teach multiple methods for multiple brain configurations.

• Like 1

So my advice, if your child still can get the correct answer then who cares if it differs from what you were taught.

The problem is that they grade the answer AND how you got the answer.  If you didn't perform the task how they taught you then you get marked off for it, normally 50% off of the correct answer.

• Like 2

Guest thesloth

So my advice, if your child still can get the correct answer then who cares if it differs from what you were taught.

The problem is that they grade the answer AND how you got the answer.  If you didn't perform the task how they taught you then you get marked off for it, normally 50% off of the correct answer.

I see. This is why our school systems are in so much trouble. I hated it back then and I hate it now.

America, getting dumber by the minute. I am truly convinced the government wants the general population to be stupid. I am curious to what they are teaching in private schools?

For what its worth

I failed calculus as a freshman in college because part of the final was to give the long form of the square root of 2

I simply put 1.414

I needed a math class and a science class so I took elements of math (8th grade class) and earth science at the exact same times.

I didnt show up except for the exams and I aced them. The professors would come down to the pool room to see what I was doing instead of class. 

And I have never used the square root of 2 since

Mark

Guest thesloth
I failed calculus as a freshman in college because part of the final was to give the long form of the square root of 2 I simply put 1.414

They wanted you to show Newton's method?

Guest thesloth

Yea, last question on the test and thats where I started. The last question took forever so I put down 1.414 close enough and went to the 1st page. Breezed on the rest

Mark

I would have done the same lol. Great minds think alike!

I would be more than happy to explain to the school how the boys do math and they can show that work,   problem is at the end of this year 3rd grade there is a test which covers this crap, 

Fail the test Fail the grade is my understanding

My schooling was HS, I took no interest in school the structure was not for me I breezed through it with zero effort and went straight to work / the military out of HS, In Hindsight I should have taken more interest I feel like I could have excelled my upbringing did not include the ability to look forward to collage, No Money and I dont recall a single HS teacher or councilor ever discussing a future 

I'm hoping against hope that they don't mean "there are many possible answers;"  I'm hoping they mean "there are many [probably several, rather than "many"] possible methods."  Are we destroying English in math class?

I taught behavioral and social science statistics (primarily hypothesis testing stat).  Anything that was poorly written in the text, I would skip or rewrite.  Once the students came across a terribly stated definition of interaction in 2 way ANOVA.  It read "Interaction is the not merely additive joint effect of two variables, independent of their separate effects."  This was on the college level, back in the '70s.  I told them, "After reading that, you might need a joint effect."  I found that the more the students could understand the underlying logic of inquiry, the better.  The more they understood the beauty of the strategies, the better.  It was a great pleasure to hear them cheer at their results.

Edited by garyrc

I liked the video. Khan is one of the greatest educators on the planet right now.

Math is process. The higher you go, the more processes there are too solve the same problem. The video is showing a alternate process for subtraction solving.

1. It's good to know that problems can have multiple processes to find answers.

2. It's a valuable lesson tho know about multiple processes

3. For some kids this will seen easier than our old process.

4. Our world is changing fast, kids need to be adaptive to knew ideas.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1