One for the Educators in the crowd

joessportster

Public Education, meaning free education, has always, and will always be, a mostly political process. You will come out with a political indoctrination of the era.

Today, like no time in history, one can get a brilliant, thorough, and deep education, without ever going to a public (political) school, and without spending more than hamburger money. Kids should all be rocket scientists by age 14!

Our society is ripped in two, by diametrically opposed political and social ideas. Therefore, so are the schools. That's very bad for education. If I had kids, I'd give them free, private education.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Edited by jo56steph74

Public Education, meaning free education, has always, and will always be, a mostly political process. You will come out with a political indoctrination of the era.

Today, like no time in history, one can get a brilliant, thorough, and deep education, without ever going to a public (political) school, and without spending more than hamburger money. Kids should all be rocket scientists by age 14!

Our society is ripped in two, by diametrically opposed political and social ideas. Therefore, so are the schools. That's very bad for education. If I had kids, I'd give them free, private education.

Free Education, No such thing. In most states there are multiple hoops to jump through for home schooling. Private schooling is to far out of reach for the average American.  Fail to meet the states Governmental requirements and you go to jail and your kid goes to foster care and right back into the same Education debacle

I wasn't aware that it's illegal to educate your own kids. A computer, an internet connection and a library card are all that's needed. I suppose "home schooling" to many means keeping kids out of the public school, and at home?

I was being more general. I meant using the fantastic tools we have at all of our disposal to educate kids. Formal school goes so slowly, that it takes forever to learn important things. Most kids can learn at 10x that rate. Most of what take place in school is ridiculously light weight.

Joe, I think coming here to have your rant about your frustration of this math thing is OK.  Please be aware this is YOUR problem, not that of your 8 year-old son.

I would caution you about not having that rant in front of him.  Children learn from their parents and you want to be careful about teaching a lack of respect for the teacher or the teaching methods.  If you child learns to not have proper respect for the authority of the teacher, they may have a life-time resentment of authority and develop a personality where education is not a priority.

I'm suggesting you take a long-term view of this short-term math technique concern you have, and not focus on short term frustrations.  Encourage your son to work hard to learn this technique and master it.  He will MUCH more benefit from your encouragement, your belief in him and the knowledge that you have high standards and expectations for him.

He can figure this out, and he will succeed. 

+++

Edit:  BTW, in your thread title, you asked for the educators in the crowd?  That would be you.  :smile:

A child's parents are the best teachers he/she will ever have. 

I am happy YOU think me coming here to as a question in the LOUNGE is OK  <_<

I know my son will succeed but it wont be the school system that dictates that, Further having SOME contempt for authority is a good thing. I dont want sheep that simply follow the crowd I want someone that can think for them self and lead

I dont think I will teach the lesson that following ignorance is OK in fact it is anything but OK

As it turns out the teachers ineptness at her job and failing to include instructions with the work she hands out was the true problem her response to our note was Oh Sorry they were only supposed to do the first 12 problems, why on earth would I support or teach my son that type of ineptness is OK 

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that it's illegal to educate your own kids. A computer, an internet connection and a library card are all that's needed. I suppose "home schooling" to many means keeping kids out of the public school, and at home?

I was being more general. I meant using the fantastic tools we have at all of our disposal to educate kids. Formal school goes so slowly, that it takes forever to learn important things. Most kids can learn at 10x that rate. Most of what take place in school is ridiculously light weight.

All those things are fine but remember when your child goes to school and what you have taught is at odds with the schools agenda, now you are confusing your 8 year old child, I also feel like this confusion is a HUGE reason kids start to resent school, and eventually begin to give up

Our boys are ahead of the curve exactly because we do teach them at home, of course the schools take no notice of there levels and the bore the hell out of them for hours on end going over the same thing or confusing the hell out of them with this type crap.................

I am happy YOU think me coming here to as a question in the LOUNGE is OK <_<

I stated things poorly, Joe, my apologies. 

I was trying to say it's better to vent with adults and out of earshot of the children.  When children hear adults express adult thoughts, children don't always interpret the message that was intended.  It's like when parents argue and the child blames himself for the parent's problems.  It goes in the category of unintended consequences.

I deleted my poorly worded post.

Edited by wvu80

an example 3rd grade now 2nd week of school and barely into multiple digit subtraction

IMHO a SHINING EXAMPLE of the problem with Public School

attachicon.gifmath bullshit.PNG

I didn't see anything at all wrong with the example here. It's an excellent way to explain what subtraction of large numbers in the decimal system means. This is going to be important when kids have to learn hex and binary math. Without this solid foundation, alternate base mathematics would be much more difficult to grasp. I suspect kids today will learn binary and hex in the very early grades? I hope so!

When us old people went to school computers were not part of daily life. Now they are. Kids need to know coding ideas well before their teens if they plan on technical careers. My bet is that public school is going way, way too slow on all this.

an example 3rd grade now 2nd week of school and barely into multiple digit subtraction

I didn't see anything at all wrong with the example here. It's an excellent way to explain what subtraction of large numbers in the decimal system means. This is going to be important when kids have to learn hex and binary math. Without this solid foundation, alternate base mathematics would be much more difficult to grasp. I suspect kids today will learn binary and hex in the very early grades? I hope so!

When us old people went to school computers were not part of daily life. Now they are. Kids need to know coding ideas well before their teens if they plan on technical careers. My bet is that public school is going way, way too slow on all this.

I understand things are changing but it seems you might at least allow a GRADE SCHOOL student to grasp one theory before you throw another one down there throats, I personally see ZERO benefit from a backwards way to solve the equation (after all you end with the same answer)

If it translates to an improved method for PC / Tech thats great,  but I am talking 3rd grade and confusing someone that young serves no purpose other than to aggravate them. 

I for one will allow my boys to choose there own careers I dont feel like it is the GRADE SCHOOLs place to decide kids are going to become programmers and start teaching on that assumption,  Lets get the basics down and comfortable then we can move up

I understand things are changing but it seems you might at least allow a GRADE SCHOOL student to grasp one theory before you throw another one down there throats, I personally see ZERO benefit from a backwards way to solve the equation (after all you end with the same answer)

If it translates to an improved method for PC / Tech thats great,  but I am talking 3rd grade and confusing someone that young serves no purpose other than to aggravate them. 

I for one will allow my boys to choose there own careers I dont feel like it is the GRADE SCHOOLs place to decide kids are going to become programmers and start teaching on that assumption,  Lets get the basics down and comfortable then we can move up

People will disagree. That's ok.

I think the theory is what they are teaching. I would teach theory before any sort of practical method for solving problems. Let's face it, the most PRACTICAL way is simply punch keys on a calculator. Even a 4 year old can do that. The example showed in the graphic is an explanation of how ten based math works. Once you know it for ten based, it's trivial to learn it for 2 base or 16 base and so on. I rather liked the way they did it. But, as I said, disagreement is fine too.

I know schools are totally political institutions, so it's easy to see what some people would hate whatever they do. I think the fastest way to educate all kids is "get them reading." Once they are independent readers, school almost becomes irrelevant. Education is one of the most controversial subjects in society. On various blogs I see LOTSA ranting about it from all sides. So, I know it's a hot topic even without having kids in school. Reading is always going to be the best answer.

• Like 1

• Moderators

For what its worth

I failed calculus as a freshman in college because part of the final was to give the long form of the square root of 2

I simply put 1.414

I needed a math class and a science class so I took elements of math (8th grade class) and earth science at the exact same times.

I didnt show up except for the exams and I aced them. The professors would come down to the pool room to see what I was doing instead of class.

And I have never used the square root of 2 since

Mark

Do you take pictures? Ever mess around with file photography? Have a projector? 

Edited by dwilawyer

Kahn is brilliant and children are very fortunate to have this resource available that was not available when we grew up. 

They are trying to teach kids to think in different ways and accept that there are other ways of solving problems.  This is a big step forward for our educational system.  If kids can grasp this they can learn to adapt to new problems and solve them in ways that they are not accustom.  So much of school, and more so in life, is developing a set of problem solving skills (and the learning should never end). 

A person who cannot see a problem is not very useful and cannot be given any responsibility.   A person who figures out that there is a problem and responds to their boss, or client, is average.  A person who figures out a problem and a solution is very valuable. 

Our attitude decides who we will be. 

• Like 2

Except for the fact that the first year of test scores was lower than projected and the U.S. Didn't budge an inch in international education.

Common Core is a joke, and other countries laugh at us for it. They sure are in the UK.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 2

People have not changed. Kids who want to learn, learn. And kids who want to learn a LOT, learn a LOT, no matter if they are Chinese or American or Irish. When we hear that we are "doing worse than China" in education, I am pretty sure they are talking about AVERAGE scores, not individuals. We have the most patents, the most inventiveness of all nations, so it's not like we don't have exceptional students. We do. Lots of them. But we also have huge masses of kids with no educational interest at all (for various reasons). Testing is a measure of the whole, not the individuals.

But, we have millions and millions of students enrolled in mandatory education who don't want to be there, but by law must be there. And they hold test scores way down. Take any average 12 year old that wants to learn, and you could get him college level educated in 4 years if you stay out of the slow-moving public system. I've met many very young kids that are wildly intelligent because they discovered reading, the internet, and how to use resources. In other words, there is nothing genetically wrong with American kids. But they are saddled with the slowness of a system that must handle "the masses", many of whom are just passing the time of day in school. That's a social problem more than an educational problem.  

I agree that might be true as to the average, but you're talking about an education system that cuts out the arts, history, language, and general problem solving skills in favor of over elaborate, short form math and other non essentials. Degree programs are watered down substantially too.

I have known several people who graduated high in their classes at some of the best U.S. universities be turned down for jobs overseas due to the fact the education standards are higher.

Attending Oxford for a few months was even invariably different. There is absolutely no comparison between education in other westernized countries and the U.S. It's a real problem that few seem to be interested in. I've heard just about every side of the issue too with both of my parents being educators.

• Like 1

You are placing the blame wrongly. It is not a shining example of what is wrong with Public Education, but rather a shining example of what is wrong with the Federal Government getting involved with our Public Schools. :(

Roger

• Like 2

I'm still trying to understand how this takes less time to perform than a simple carrying method that students in the 20th century used. I am also still waiting to hear on the mathematicians that are actually using these formulas...as of yet, I've seen none. What I really don't get is how this works when variables and fractions come into play.

Common Core: Making students commonly dumb.

A perfect example of why we are moving to a home school friendly state like Mississippi as soon as I get settled

The BIGGEST problem with Home Schooling is the parents need to know enough and be smart enough to teach it..... Sadly MOST do not.

I even have an IDIOT cousin that has Home "UNSCHOOLED" her kids!

Roger

• Like 3